Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1968 Find
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ghiafreek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 5:40 am    Post subject: 1968 Find Reply with quote

I have never owned a type3. Has original floor pans which are not rusted through, rockers are very dry, doors don't sag and had one mishap to r front fender..oh, and is original paint. I'm thinking about buying. Has a motor that I will have to rebuild.

what should I expect to pay for a pretty clean rust free project and expect to put into it to get it going?
I would guess replacing all the window rubber, carpet, complete brakes, dash pad and seat covers.

thanks.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Air-Cooled Head
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, you can browse ISP West to see how much for seals and stuff. In fact, as a new T3 owner, that site will give you a lot of knowledge. Lots of exploded diagrams and VW part numbers.

As for how much you'll pay,,, hard to say. There's a non-op Fasty near me that's in better condition, and the guy is asking $400. Meanwhile, there are daily driver (No where near show) quality Bugs, asking over $9K. Confused

I guess it depends on where you are and who is selling.

Good Luck!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ataraxia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Air-Cooled Head wrote:
There's a non-op Fasty near me that's in better condition, and the guy is asking $400.

What year?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Air-Cooled Head
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ataraxia wrote:
Air-Cooled Head wrote:
There's a non-op Fasty near me that's in better condition, and the guy is asking $400.

What year?

J, Pretty sure it was a 68. I haven't been by there since before the snow fell, so I don't know if it's still there. I'll be in that neighborhood tonight, so I'll see.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ataraxia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PM me with details if the left front fender is decent!
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Find Reply with quote

ghiafreek wrote:
I have never owned a type3. Has original floor pans which are not rusted through, rockers are very dry, doors don't sag and had one mishap to r front fender..oh, and is original paint. I'm thinking about buying. Has a motor that I will have to rebuild.

what should I expect to pay for a pretty clean rust free project and expect to put into it to get it going?
I would guess replacing all the window rubber, carpet, complete brakes, dash pad and seat covers.

thanks.

pretty complete & fixable with time & $5000+. Pay $1000 or more if you like it. Cool
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ataraxia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

$1000 for that car: the only one getting a deal is the seller...
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

$500 would be better. You already have 2 squares. He doesn't even have 1 & might not whine like you about a $1000 project square close to home! Very Happy I have a passenger fender repair section for it I think.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ghiafreek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats what I was trying to get it for... $500. He asked of $800.
ataraxia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

$500 is about the limit for the condition of that car if you're being realistic.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ataraxia wrote:
$500 is about the limit for the condition of that car if you're being realistic.

Agreed. That's a lot of rust to have to deal with. I know some would call it patina, but to me it's rust.Shocked I live in a wet climate too, and that thing would be holey in a few years if left outside.Rolling Eyes
Now, if it had a factory sunroof, that would be another story. I'd give him the 800 he's asking. But it's not.
Is he tossing in a good 1 year only right front fender for his asking price? Just asking, as that might be hard to find, and shipping will be about a hundred bucks for it (it's right on the edge of being "over size").

Does he have a front bumper for it? if not, that'll be another 100 + shipping.
This missing/damaged stuff is what's going to cost you on that car, as nobody is "re-popping" anything for our cars, except Gerson doing floors. Sure, ISP has the rubber bits, but metal parts are limited to what's out there. Don't get me wrong, there's some new stuff out there, but it's pricey.
Sorry, but that's the way it is with type 3s.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Donnie strickland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
That's a lot of rust to have to deal with. I know some would call it patina, but to me it's rust.Shocked

Yep.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: