Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Is Laquer thinner bad?
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
burnt clutch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 11:31 am    Post subject: Is Laquer thinner bad? Reply with quote

Can I use laquer thinner for surface cleaning and prep prior to painting? Can I use it for cleaning my paint gun? I called my jobber, and he said Laquer thinner is a "no no", "It causes fisheyes!" Is he blowing smoke up my a**? I'm planning on using the Ditzler PPG lineup, and DX330 is what he's telling me to use for all of my cleaning needs. Also, is it recommended to wash and re-use cleaning rags?

-A confused newbie...
Confused
Foxx
Uncle Meat

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

laquer thinner is a no-no.
unless your painting laquer
(which can't be gotten anymore last i looked)
put it this way, the old addage when you could get laquer was,..
"you can paint enamelover laquer , but you can't paint laquer over enamel"
no he isn't blowing smoke up your butt.

Sarcasm is the body's natural defense against stupidity. i seem to use a lot.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bmtx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its OK to clean guns and thats about it. There are a few flexible plastic primers out that use it but not much used.
burnt clutch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 11:18 pm    Post subject: Laquerism Reply with quote

That makes sense then, because the last time I shot paint on the Singlecab, it was laquer. Now I know better to use enamel. I guess I better get used to the DX330...Any consensus about re-using the cleaning rags? I hate to just throw them away....

-K
Obsessed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

for final cleaning use wax and grease remover. clean a 2" by 2" section at a time wiping with a clean dry rag, then tack it right before spraying. fish eyes are actually caused by dirt or other particulates landing on your paint and the paint moving away from the dust speck.
bmtx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obsessed, fisheyes are caused by oily specs that aren't cleaned off the surface. It can be from the oil your body produces or silicone thats in tire dressings that splash onto the fender or that are used to detail engine compartments ect.. You can clean it and it will still have little amounts on it. Thats why you need to pre-clean even before starting bodywork, get it as clean as can be. Dust particles can be wet sanded out.
burnt clutch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 5:12 pm    Post subject: fisheyed firsthand Reply with quote

Sunday, I wiped down the siglecab w/DX330, and started shooting DP40. Being a tightass, I wiped it down using rags that I'd washed a week earlier. I got fish eyes over everything that I touched w/ my last rag! Mad I guess I was lucky w/ the rags that I used up to that last one. I then went to walmart and bought a 24 pk of terry cloth prep rags for $8. I guess .50 a rag is cheap insurance when a paint job is riding on it.....now I just need more DX330....
burnt clutch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lesson learned by my above entry. But can "soap and water" ever be a substitue for DX330? I thought I saw a entry like that in another thread, or is that a process for getting all the dust out before painting? I've always been touchy about water on anything other than primer sealer since the potential to generate rust would be increased..wish I knew what I was doing.... Question

-K
Monsterbeetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's how we did it at the resto shop. We used DX330 on something called Tork Towels. They are like high grade paper towels that don't leave behind any fuzzies. One towel soaked in 330 followed by a dry one, never letting the 330 evaporate before it was wiped off. For the really anal, the process could be followed by PPG Multi-Prep. After all is said and done go over it with a tack cloth and shoot.
Bklyn63
Samba Mafioso

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

something called "prepsol" short for prep solvent. its used for cleaning the areas befor clear cote application or cleaning the primer area of contaminants. thinner should only be used to clean your gun THOROUGHLY!
Ipaintem
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

never use cotton towels to wipe down a car befor painting it with anything. If nothing else Autozone and Advance sell the blue shop rags (heavy duty paper towel like Monsterbeetle said) use these they will work fine. Clean you gun out with the old ones from when you pre-cleanod you car.

Jonathan
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only use wax and greese remover for the first step. Before you start sanding on any thing there is wax and oil on the paint, use the wax remover to remove any traces of wax and oil so when you do sand the sanding will not grid the wax and oil deeper in to the paint. I use soap and water on any thing after that for getting fingur prints off or any thing else.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: