Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

idle speed
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
grethi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 12:05 am    Post subject: idle speed Reply with quote

My idle is way too high. It sits somewhere between 1400 and 2100 rpms. It's currently at 1600 rpms.
I've messed with the screw, it got the engine down to 1400 but didn't really help anything. I checked the butterfly valve; it's working great. I've checked the accelerator pedal and the vacuum line. The pedal is fine; tightening the line only makes the engine idle faster.
The Bentley manual is no help. What could be my problem? Why won't it go down to 950 like it's supposed to?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Anniehum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greg, when you 'messed with the screw' was the engine warmed up? If not drive it around for a half hour and adjust it again. I don't know it that will help but it worked for me.
Annie
Air-Cooled Head
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which screw? What carbs?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
grethi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was warm. I had driven it home from school the first time I worked on it. When it ran, it was getting 2000 rpm, and I turned the screw and got it down to 1500.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you fuel injection or carbed? The factory fuel injection has an auxiliary air regulator that serves as a "fast idle cam", yours may be stuck open. A cleaning can bring it back. Follow the hose from the air cleaner to the little gizmo near the right rear center of the engine that has another hose going to the throttle body.
Colin
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
smitty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

try disconnecting the throttle cable from the carburetor(s). while you are back there, check the throttle return spring(s) on the carb(s). nothing is ever that simple though!
toumadrivesa66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Possible your timing could be off. From the climate your in and the air at the current time. When I moved to Phoenix I had to adjust my timing then when I moved back I adjusted it again. My car acted like the idle was way to high and I messed with my carbs over and over again but got nowhere. Try retarding it a bit. Then try advancing it. If that doesn't work build a new motor, change out your tranny and check your blinker fluid. Sorry I'm not really sure where that came from.
smitty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just read your earlier post. Your car is fuel-infected so please ignore my suggestion for the t/cable and return spring(s). DOH!
Metalfeather
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dive into that Auxiliary air regulator. Mine has been acting up and every time I fool with it the problem is cured... for a week or so. Take off the hose that runs from the manifold to the regulator and partially cover the hole with your finger. The idle should drop.

And changing my blinker fluid is something I've been putting off for years...
Mr. Bubblehead
El Chupa Nibre

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Metalfeather wrote:
And changing my blinker fluid is something I've been putting off for years...

Yeah, and those muffler bearings are probably due for replacement, too. Might want to check your johnson rod while you're at it, they tend to get out of alignment quite easily.
Samba Member #4862
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: