Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Strange doors?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rainierdeklark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, then I must have strange '49 doors, since both have the same lock, as seen on my picture above.
Could it be a difference between early and late '49?
Maybe the pin came when the licence plate pressing in the decklid disappeared (July '49).....
bigvwfan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked at the doors on a few 50's split windows and they both have the pins on the passangers side.
eurodub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey Rainier

as i have checked more pictures with the split doors, that pin sticking out is there to lock the passenger door, no matter if the car is LHD or RHD. on the passenger side there's the pin locking the door, and just like on the post 55 doors, by pushing forward the door release lever on the door it locks the mechanism. and that is normal.

i came to the idea that your doors are not strange at all, the left has the normal latch mechanism, the right has the locking pin. i see no difference from what you have to a split door.

the stiker plates are the same, no differences whatsoever, that pin blocks the door from releasing the mechanism from the striker plate. i have never seen pre 55 striker plates to have significant differences (as in a hole for the pin, etc)

maybe the mechanism could be swapped between the passenger/driver's side, as passoa55 wrote earlier, so it's a chance that the latch mechanism broke down and was replaced by a left hand one somewhere at a point in time. as for locking the right side door without that pin sticking out, maybe that door had a handle wih key for locking, is the handle still present on the door?

another theory is that if there's no locking handle on the right side, the locking mech is a later (or maybe earlier) type that is locked by tilting the door release handle forward like in the later oval era...

opinions, anyone?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Resurrecting an older thread, but I though I'd add in my findings for our October 1949 LHD deluxe.

Checking with PR I found the April 18, 1950 1-0159782, Body # 108261 The left door mechanism pin is no longer provided.

Also mentioned is that the right now has a lockable pin

As you can see both the left and right hand doors have the latches with the pins (Left is on the left)

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The mechanism looks nearly identical, the only obvious difference I can see is the left on in this picture has slits where those two round bosses on either side of the spring are.

The part number (below the spring) is different

Left:

Right (no "L" ?)

The handle ends are clearly marked Left and Right and are assembled differently

What I'm really curious about is the handle end. On the left one there is apiece of metal that *could* be broken off or maybe it's just worn. You can see it here on the right side near the screw boss.

It seems loose and for sure prevents the lobe from turning, It actually engages with that notch you see at 6 o'clock.

Here's another view with it engaged:

The right side has none of this, and the lobe is a different shape with no notch.

IIRC both seemed to work when I took the door apart some time ago and only the Left side outer handle had a lock.

Do I have something broken or does this seem correct?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 4:00 pm    Post subject: Opening non-locking door Reply with quote

I've been unable to open the passenger side door with the outer door handle.

It opens just fine with the inside handle, just not with the outer handle (when the inner handle is in the unlocked position)

It appears the pin is not retracting with the outer door handle but it does with the inner one.

Any ideas?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: