Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Is this price outrageous or am I off base here?
Forum Index -> Porsche - 356 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
inzel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:26 am    Post subject: Is this price outrageous or am I off base here? Reply with quote

First off... I know this isnt the correct category for this car but I frequent this one so here is where I am posting it.

Here is a link to a 1959 Porsche 356 Cabriolet:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1795038

I know quite a bit about these cars since it is my all time favorite but that price tag of 300k seems extremely high to me.

This is just a conversation thread so I would like to hear your thoughts. The car is a true beauty...

66 Bug
69 Fasty
Old school Sandrail
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And the steering wheel is not the original!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I drive VWs- but I hear more valves and row a weird shift pattern in my dreams!

Those cars seem to pull a minimum of 130k in any running shape now. To bring one of those cars up to great restoration standard is another 100k. For the credentials of this car- I don't see it being too far off. It may sit at 300 for a while since we're getting into convertible season on all collectible cars- but I'd bet it would still be at $260k anywhere.

It also stands out here because of a relative lack of 356s. I think in the environment of a more competitive Porsche market- it would blend in a little better among a big field of 300k asking-price convertibles. Beautiful car.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
MMW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think 356s are bringing stupid money right now, especially any open cars. The market has been red hot for awhile. But the prices keep going up & people keep paying.

I would say this particular car is at the top end on price but remember that is the asking price. Having it restored by Bruce Baker ent. is a plus as his shop does top notch work. I may have to go take a look (not to buy) as it looks like this fellows place in NJ is only 20-30 minutes from me.
Update - third pc. found!
Now just need the case halves.
1965 fenderless beetle
inzel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its a pretty amazing car. I just expected it to be near 200k maybe 240k max but I guess it will be worth whatever someone pays for it.

Nice to see that people are still spending the time to restore these old classics to the max.

66 Bug
69 Fasty
Old school Sandrail
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

roy mawbey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan,

That 'A' seems so..... low on price! Actually the steering wheel like the one at 300K seems to like a VDM which you could have fitted then.

Roy
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wouldn't it be nice to find one for that now! I did not know the car came with that steering wheel. I always wanted the Porsche style but the wooden brass rivet wheel was very nice!
Put an ad in the local paper and a fellow showed up that arranged the sell. But I have not ever found out who bought the car from the second hand car dealer http://www.route30classics.com that got it form me. The A was Titled a 57 and was sold to me as a 57 but the Route30Classics advertised it as a 1956 which was it manufacture date. Perhaps it was imported to U.S. importer Max Hoffman in NYC as a 56 then did not sell so the modifications to the tear drop tail lights were done and it was sold new as a 1957 Model. (under the tear drop tail lights there are the two round holes for the bee hives. Looked like they had been changed to me.

roy mawbey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting story Dan. So how long did you own it before selling in 2006?

Roy
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something like 35years and drove it probably a 100,000 miles.
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1956 Porsche 356A Coupe Price: 42500 Here is an ad for a real 56 (Bee Hives) seems like the price is pretty high when you consider it's condition is so rough. Probably cost 40,000 to restore it. It does have the right steering wheel! Seems like it was just last year I was seeing cars in much better condition than this one for $20000! Note It's SN is 735 earlier! Wouldn't it be easer and perhaps less costly to just start with a nicer car to get one into the condition of the D above?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 356 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: