Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Sewfine Headliner center section too short
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
AppomattoxVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 7:04 am    Post subject: Sewfine Headliner center section too short Reply with quote

Finally getting back to my 2nd restoration of my 56 Beetle (mice ate up the interior while in storage for 10 years). I've succesfully installed 7 of the 8 pieces of my original style headliner from Sewfine and if I say so myself it looks pretty good. It's a gray checkered tweed. Putting up the last piece, the roof center section reveals that it's about 3 inches short even with stretching. Also the back edge does not have the plastic strip to hook around the backside of the lip above the rear window like the front and sides. Am I missing something here? Going through all of the headliner posts I found one with the same short problem from Sewfine back in 2008 but there was no final resolution to the post.
I'll call Sewfine tomorrow and see whats up but just wondering what others have found on there headliner installation.

Thanks, Rod
AppomattoxVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I talked with Carol at Sewfine today.. Apparently awhile back their oval window headliner pattern was too short by a few inches (I had ordered in November of 2013). The lack of a plastic edge strip on the back end was a mistake. Anyway, she apologized for the mistake and they are making me a new center section. Very professional and impressive company.
'73 Super Beetle
'77 Super Beetle Convertable
'82 Quantum TD
'85 Vanagon
'91 Jetta Carat
'93 Eurovan (2)
'99 Jetta
'03 Passat (gave to son with 190,000 miles)
'13 Touareg
'19 Tiguan
Saggs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used sewfine a few yrs back when I restored my 56 ragtop. I bought custom made seat covers as well as the mohair headliner and square weave carpet. It was my first try but it came out great and they were super to deal with.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Harris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 7:50 pm    Post subject: Sewfien Headliner Reply with quote

Well,

Back in 2006 I had a question on a a '62 liner

Carol is good at what she does. I'm not sure Carol (Sewfine)always get the correct info for measurements.. I know she and the installers do good work. My '62 headliner from Sewfine was an inch too long and caused sags in the middle. Had is shortened 1 " and it fit fine. Call and ask. These people are great and if they can help they will.

Last edited by Harris on Fri Jun 19, 2015 7:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Harris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 7:55 pm    Post subject: Swfine Reply with quote

Saggs wrote:
I used sewfine a few yrs back when I restored my 56 ragtop. I bought custom made seat covers as well as the mohair headliner and square weave carpet. It was my first try but it came out great and they were super to deal with.

Beautiful.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: