Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

71 won't start
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anniehum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

opus23 wrote:
SO I worked on it all day. Found a gas leak replaced that. Tried a different coil, Then I noticed that there is no vacuum line onthe dizzy. I have to recharge the battery before I can do any other testing. Will the vacuum line from the dizzy cause it not to start?

Anyone in the Seattle area want to make a couple of bucks and look at this thing before I junk her?

Opus23, where are you in Seattle? We can find you some hands on help. Don't give up.
Cheers
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does it have a strong smell of gas when you crank it? I couldn't get my 70 FI Squareback started one morning and discovered that the cold start injector in the throttle body was causing it to flood and not start. I just unplugged that injector and it started right up and haven't had a problem since. I never did figure out why the injector was causing it to flood but it runs just as good with it disconnected as it did connected.
squarewerks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 10:12 pm    Post subject: mine did the same Reply with quote

Mine did the same thing... i would try to start it and i could hear the starter whirring but it wasn't getting enough juice to engage... i located the problem down to a faulty voltage regulater....
opus23
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am in Whitecenter Just south of seattle. I am looking for a mobile mechanic at this point if anyone could help.

Thanks
trox1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back to the possibility of it being spark related. Look at the points carefully, is the little nub that rides against the shaft still there? I had one brake off on me. The points never open and the car will die, and never start up again until you replace the points. Keep your nub greased! Very Happy
Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

opus23 wrote:
I am in Whitecenter Just south of seattle. I am looking for a mobile mechanic at this point if anyone could help.

Thanks

My brother is in Union, WA. He does VW work. South end of the Sound. Bruce Wolfe. Let me know, and I can PM you his home phone.

Gary: OK. Ima poop.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Metalfeather
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 70 has done the same thing a few times. One time it was a blown fuse (short in the wiring) second time it was a clog in the fuel line. The clog caused leaks in ALL the fuel hoses! Not cool. Just in case, check the fuses.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: