Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Developing the Gallery...
Forum Index -> Site Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
RockStock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:09 pm    Post subject: Developing the Gallery... Reply with quote

An idea for Everett really...just thinking maybe its time that the Gallery on TS was enhanced?

The Samba is Forum dominated. These typically have few pictures.
How about the Gallery is given a raised role...along the lines of Instagram & (apologies for mentioning it) Facebook/Facebrag?

I'm thinking allow comments, discussion, rating, likes (dislikes?!), user/category subscriptions, bigger initial preview pic, cross-referencing to a related Forum post, etc. And make it better that IG and FB (one obvious way would be to make it easily Searched, like the Forums - this is rubbish on FB from what I can tell). It will probably encourage more pictures to be posted, as I'd have thought posters would generally like getting a response? And its now what social network users are used to?

We all like pictures. The Forums would still be the main arena. The Gallery would be like a Forum Lite? More instant? Less detailed? More fun? Dunno

But maybe by developing the Gallery it will encourage users to post on TS - rather than only on other apps/platforms. I have witnessed this happening with the Barndoor Division group on Facebrag. And it will help protect & encourage footfall on the world's best VW site, The Samba.

Anyway, just thinking out loud

RS
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am open to suggestions.

You can rate the photos on a scale of 1-10.

I am not sure I want to add comments as that might be a nightmare of complaints and maintenance for admins and/or moderators.

There is no "like" thing for photos/posts/etc. on the site although I know some people have mentioned that for Forum posts in the past.

You absolutely can search the Forums. Click Search from the Gallery menu at the top of the site.

You can cross-reference the photos to where they are used in the Forums, I added that a while back. There is link next to each photo to perform a Forums search for the photos.

I have considered increasing the preview (thumbnail) size of the Gallery and Classifieds listings but have not decided on a size yet. eBay currently has a max. of 225 pixels so people may be used to that size now? I am using 140/175 here.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
I

You can cross-reference the photos to where they are used in the Forums, I added that a while back. There is link next to each photo to perform a Forums search for the photos..

AND a BIG BIG Thank you for that.... ^^

So many times I found a photo... and wanted to know what or IF is was referencing a forum topic...

That quick and dirty search from the photo....sure made it easy...

Just cant figure out why someone would post a pic... and never use it anywhere else on TheSamba... ??
Especially pictures of specific areas on a vehicle or parts...

I dont "cruise" the gallery just to.. Maybe some do ???
Anxious
Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
don.ville Premium Member
Samba YardMan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:
EverettB wrote:
I

You can cross-reference the photos to where they are used in the Forums, I added that a while back. There is link next to each photo to perform a Forums search for the photos..

AND a BIG BIG Thank you for that.... ^^

So many times I found a photo... and wanted to know what or IF is was referencing a forum topic...

That quick and dirty search from the photo....sure made it easy...

Just cant figure out why someone would post a pic... and never use it anywhere else on TheSamba... ??
Especially pictures of specific areas on a vehicle or parts...

I dont "cruise" the gallery just to.. Maybe some do ???
Anxious

This is an awesome feature that I just noticed!!!!!
Find where a photo is used: excellent.

67 Standard 11 window How I Keep My Bus Alive
04 Jetta TDI Page (SOLD)
01 Mexican Beetle Hello Kitty Rescue (SOLD)
29 Ford Model A Rat Rod (SOLD)
2015 Audi A8L TDI Quattro
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
*Darren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A minor issue for me is the clumping of post oval sedans. Anyway you could see to splitting sedans into pre-post 68. It's a lot to wade through. I do like the link feature.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I will take a look at that.
One issue would be actually splitting that and knowing what to move over.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
don.ville Premium Member
Samba YardMan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The recent gallery posts link....
WIN!!!!

Let me try it....
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

04 Jetta TDI Page (SOLD)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
don.ville Premium Member
Samba YardMan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AWESOME!!!!!!

04 Jetta TDI Page (SOLD)
RockStock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update (with respect): My point was missed. TS still needs to wake up to being more photo-friendly

Gallery and Forum equal status. Forum for the nerdy discussions etc, Gallery for 'of the moment' comment and the visual desire.

Linked thread:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7723067
whobba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just wish that one could do a search in the Gallery and then advance through the photos with a > button instead of having to web page back and click the next photo. Kinda like viewing a photo album.
RockStock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 2:17 am    Post subject: Re: Developing the Gallery... Reply with quote

To the top...The Samba needs to be easier to upload photos to...and comment on those photos...
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Developing the Gallery... Reply with quote

seems that you're the only one pushing for this.

why comment on the photos? it is obviously a non issue to the thousands of samba users....

besides, that's what the forum is for...the commentary. I think being able to "like" or comment on photos is a waste of time. go to facebook or some other social media site if you need validation on a photo Rolling Eyes

if you want to comment on a photo, reach out to the person who loaded it.

RockStock wrote:

Gallery and Forum equal status. Forum for the nerdy discussions etc, Gallery for 'of the moment' comment and the visual desire.

this statement here just shows you're needy of approval. most users here could give a shit about "status"....status is earned here by sharing information, not just a thumbs up or comment. sounds to me like you need someone to play with...

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
RockStock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: Developing the Gallery... Reply with quote

youve crudely missed the point, bless you
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Site All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: