Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

No fiberglass stock panel Baja?
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Duncan71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 12:51 am    Post subject: No fiberglass stock panel Baja? Reply with quote

Hey all,

About to embark on my first Baja build... Here is what im working with:
1968 VW Beetle - Complete, some rusty spots, pan probably needs a bunch of work.
Swing Axle Trans
3 motor, no idea whats good and whats not.
I bought the hole shebang from an auction for a good deal - but im going to have to spend nickels and dimes (more like $20's and $100's) to get it where I want it.

My question is: up here Baja body kits are hard to find. Im considering using the stock metal fenders, cut them up to allow for proper clearance. Then, cutting notches in the sides of the hood so I can bend it back around to give the short nose / better entry angle look. Has anyone done that or is there any write ups on that?

Also, I cant seem to find concise write-ups of how to get a couple inches 1-2" out of the stock suspension - can anyone help me out there?

Thanks for all the info, I look forward to posting progress pics!

Cheers,
Duncan
DHale_510
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: No fiberglass stock panel Baja? Reply with quote

Duncan71 wrote:
Hey all,

About to embark on my first Baja build... Here is what im working with:
1968 VW Beetle - Complete, some rusty spots, pan probably needs a bunch of work.

[i]68s were the most common models so lots of used stuff is out there.

Swing Axle Trans

[i]All 68s had "long" swing axles and ball joint fronts. Simple and durable if you leave it mostly alone with small tires and motor.

3 motor, no idea whats good and whats not.

[i]Stock is a single port, single carb, 1600cc motor. It works fine but most just have to add to it.

My question is: up here Baja body kits are hard to find.

[i]Well, they have always been hand made by someone afar unless you live in Bullhead City Nevada....

Im considering using the stock metal fenders, cut them up to allow for proper clearance.

[i]This is how it all began. The front fenders can be cut away like on my green car shown here. This was done in 1967 and they still are there. Originally I had another set of fronts cut down more and mounted in the rear. The rears on the car now are a set of fiberglas Baja fronts cut down.

Then, cutting notches in the sides of the hood so I can bend it back around to give the short nose / better entry angle look.

[i]This is less successful, but has been done. The original Baja kit like on the green car was just the two pieces to fix the nose. I think you can still get just those two parts.

Has anyone done that or is there any write ups on that?

[i]Yes, and I just did it again I think.

Also, I cant seem to find concise write-ups of how to get a couple inches 1-2" out of the stock suspension - can anyone help me out there?

Well, you really need to read a bit more on this forum. Short answer, the front will rise about 2" when you cut away the steel and the back will rise when you put bigger tires on there. That's all that was done to the green car. From there, the story gets very, very long....

Cheers,
Duncan

[img]
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
[/img]

Dennis
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Mal evolent" has put together a series of threads on building a Baja Bug with lots of advice for noobs.
"Baja Bugs for Volkswagen Virgins: Index "
(Really Mal, it would be good if you could put together an effective list of links to each of the threads in your series. It's quite a pain to search for them all and our demigods have not chosen to assign a sticky to them)

This thread below is the one most recently active:
"Baja bugs for Volkswagen virgins: The IRS transmission"

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=492880

Honestly, for our OP here, Duncan71, I would suggest starting out with a Class 11 sort of Bug:
- Stock bodywork
- stock wheels with 235-15 tires
- front and rear skidplates supported by tube supports off the stock bumpers

Then play with it for a while and decide what modifications are wanted from the experience gained there.

Lift spindles are available, re-indexing the rear spring plates costs nothing but a day or 2 of work.

Look at this one
[img]http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=1313021[/img]
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=1313021

AZ Bug has lots of good ideas in his Bug
[img]http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=999396[/img]

[img]http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=999401[/img]

[img]http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=999402[/img]

These guys are in Europe.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=1364045
(One of the reasons I tend to NOT use the Samba Gallery is that often the link system does NOT work, like right now. So anybody who wants to b*&^% at me for not using the Gallery is welcome to step up right now and explain how it is so effin good)
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Duncan71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I considered the class 11 route, but the fenders and body on it are is such shape that it would look pretty terrible. Basically from the point where youd cut to put a glass Baja kit on back its perfect, but forward of that its rough and begging to be cut away.
DuaneL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a build which is close to what you are describing (cutting stock metal to look like a baja) http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412446
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
I Ride Sand
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duncan71 wrote:
I considered the class 11 route, but the fenders and body on it are is such shape that it would look pretty terrible. Basically from the point where youd cut to put a glass Baja kit on back its perfect, but forward of that its rough and begging to be cut away.

well, cut it off, replace everything in front of it, then cut it back off to make a baja out of it. Wink
90runner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could chop your fenders and look through the classifieds for a used/new nose it might not cost that much with shipping depending whose is selling it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: