Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

3000 miles from WA to MD in my 73' bug
Forum Index -> Stories Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sora-Iro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:12 am    Post subject: 3000 miles from WA to MD in my 73' bug Reply with quote

Hello fellow vdub lovers! I'm on my second aircooled volkswagen (3rd VW) and have been cruising the samba for years, reading cool stories and even getting a ton of tech help, really without anyone ever knowing (gotta love that search tool!). Being the minimalist that I am, I kind of liked just hanging in the shadows, observing, learning. So first of all I'd like to say thank you to everyone for all the helpful and entertaining threads! Haha I'm looking forward to contributing more now myself

I decided to start this thread to share my upcoming adventure from The great Olympic Peninsula in Washington State allllll the way to Maryland in my 1973 Bug, Sora-Iro. We take off in exactly 2 weeks, yikes Shocked !! It's gonna be here before I know it!

After selling my first bug I've always wanted another. Well, my husband bought me Sora-Iro for our anniversary this past August and now we're cross-country road tripping together! Here's a pic of Sora-Iro shortly after I got her.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I've been spending the past few months enjoying driving her daily but also getting her ready for this trip. I'd love to hear any experiences, tips, advice, stories (good or not so good) or comments any of you may have. And hey, maybe I can catch a meetup or two along our way! I hope you enjoy the adventure with us!
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have been lurking for years there is not much to tell you except have fun and take lots of pictures so you can share the stories of your trip.

Something not mentioned very often is take a small ice scraper just in case your defrosters can't keep up with the South Dakota winter and frost builds up on the inside.
Sora-Iro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reminder of the ice scraper, I've been meaning to get one. We'll be driving south first and then crossing so hopefully the weather will be a bit more nice to us. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sora-Iro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In preparation for the trip, Sora-Iro had her valves adjusted, new spark plugs/wires, new distributor cap/rotor, oil change and timing adjusted. Just picked her up yesterday from the mechanic after he did a front end brake job and replaced the muffler. She runs and stops! So nicely now. Before she pulled hard to the right whenever I would brake. The new muffler is awesome, she sounds good and now I don't stink like exhaust after driving her with the heater on. Yay!
Here's a pic of when I was putting on the new plug wires and distributor cap a few weeks back... Next up are new tires!

Sora-Iro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One more thing off the checklist, new tires!
wythac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck on your trip. Plan on adjusting the valve lash a few times along the way. It might not seem that important but these little cars love regular attention to stuff like that. I'd put a spare set of plugs in your toolbox too, we can't depend on just any auto parts store having that stuff. Grab yourself a throttle and clutch cable to bring along too.
Sora-Iro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wythac wrote:
Good luck on your trip. Plan on adjusting the valve lash a few times along the way. It might not seem that important but these little cars love regular attention to stuff like that. I'd put a spare set of plugs in your toolbox too, we can't depend on just any auto parts store having that stuff. Grab yourself a throttle and clutch cable to bring along too.

Thanks man! Yeah, I've got a nice little collection of parts and stuff im taking along with me. Very Happy
Sora-Iro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think I've gone through every emotion possible in anticipation for this trip....excited, nervous, a little scared, anxious, stressed and everything in between! But alas, after as much preparation as we could do, extra parts packed, recent tuneup, new tires and brake job, we pulled out of Seattle on Tuesday. Contrary to Seattle's reputation we had a gorgeous sunny day to leave on. Here's a shot going over the Tacoma Bridge with beautiful Mount Rainier in the background.

For our first day driving we went a little over 300 miles to Western Washington. It was very exciting because to my knowledge it was only the second time since the 80's she's been driven off the Olympic Peninsula.

I love the instant connection you have with people when driving an old bug. I passed another classic bug at the Tacoma Bridge toll that was waving hello as he went by, later a van full of people had two little girls turned around staring from the back window. But probably the least expected thing was while driving in the middle of nowhere a huge Ford 350 passed and the driver gave me a big thumbs up. Very Happy

Our second day we went about 400 miles to Twin Falls Idaho.

The drive was smooth but long! About every two hours of driving we have to stop to stretch ...talk about legs getting numb! My original seats have no cushion whatsoever left, just my seat cover and the springs so I threw a camping seat pad in to help a bit and later added a pillow to the mix but I really look forward to those stretches after a while. Haha At one of the gas stops a guy came over wanting to know what year it was and shared his stories of being in high school with his bug, rebuilding the engine and cruising around town with his buddies. I just love how so many people have stories about a bug!

Our third and fourth day brought us through Utah and to Colorado. Driving through Salt Lake City was a little crazy. I swear sometimes people don't know how to merge onto the interstate! Haha SLC is also a huge city to drive through, felt like forever. However, driving the passes in Colorado was definitely the most exhilarating and stressful leg of the drive yet! As most of you probably know, a bad winter storm has hit Colorado and the east. We had stopped for the night just before the mountains so it was either go as the storm is just starting to hit or be stuck on that side of the Montains for days.

Of course, we decided to give it a go! In the middle of the mess we half regretted that decision, wondering if we would get stuck on the mountain and have to stay for a bit up there. I was pleasantly surprised how majority of the other drivers on the road drove with caution, unlike my experience in other states when it snowed. It was dumping snow, we could only see about 2-3 car lengths in front of us, I couldn't tell you where the lanes were on the road either.

Heading up towards Vail, before hitting the storm.

Of course, taking those big long hills with a 40hp engine meant we were going a cozy 30-35mph. Even the tractor trailers were passing us by uphill. I just let her do her thing at whatever speed she was comfortable. But, being passed by everyone else meant all that mess kept getting kicked up onto the windsheild even worse, decreasing my visibility even more. The windsheild wipers worked but the snow froze on them, snow froze on the windsheild so I got down to a few inche space I could actually see out of. We were going uphill with practically no where to pull over to clear it.

Finally we came to a stop! For some reason they thought it a good idea to put a light on the hill. But it gave me a chance to grab my ice scrapper, roll the window and quickly clear it. Ah! To see clearly again! The Mercedes two cars in front of me lost traction at the light and started getting gently pushed by the SUV behind it. Once they thought they had it going, they gave it a go just to slide left and right all over the road, so again the SUV started pushing it again. I was so proud though that I never felt Sora-Iro slip or slide around. She took it like a champ! Heres a few shots from the pass before it got really bad:

I was so excited to finally be going back downhill and even more excited when we rolled into Denver and out of the storm...

Last edited by Sora-Iro on Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
wythac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well on your way. So you have a sag wagon following you?
Sora-Iro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wythac wrote:
Well on your way. So you have a sag wagon following you?

LOL Thats the first time I've heard that term, had to google it! Laughing Yes, my husband is behind me in the other car. We're moving so both cars are loaded.
wythac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I figured from the pictures you posted, that someone following you.

Nice to have that support while crossing a continent in a car pushing 45 years. Good luck on your journey.
Sora-Iro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wythac wrote:
I figured from the pictures you posted, that someone following you.

Nice to have that support while crossing a continent in a car pushing 45 years. Good luck on your journey.

Thank you! Yes, it definitely gives me a sense of security! 😃
drew_5150
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic , hope your journey keeps going well😊
B52Gunner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really love reading threads like this Very Happy Great story, photos, adventure, and inspiration. Good luck on the rest of your journey and if you ever make your way down to NC, hit me up and I'll treat you and your husband to a cold beverage of your choice.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great post so far. I love road trip threads in old VW's!! Good for you for trusting your VW to make the journey. These old VW's can be very reliable if they have been mechanically gone thru with good parts.

Keep updating this thread along the way!

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sora-Iro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, this is a very overdue update but I'm sure you can imagine how busy things have been since our trip was for a move. Colorado definitely was the most exciting/crazy leg of the trip.

Sorairo after coming across the pass....she really needed a good wash!

We got stuck in Denver for 3 days since the storm really hit. It snowed like crazy all weekend. Although we were anxious to continue the trip, it was also a nice break from being in the car every day all day.

Here's a shot after a couple days snowing...

From Denver on, it was a relatively smooth trip, just a little bit of snow here and there but nothing compared to before. Also, until we hit eastern Kansas the roads were flat, that made for good timing.

I'm happy to say we made it all the way with no hiccups or problems whatsoever. Contrary to the bug's reputation, my heater even did such a great job I had my window down almost all the way (heater is wired open since the cables are broken)!

We drove a total of 3,200 miles. It was such an awesome trip and experience. The people we met and chatted with along the way and the stories we heard.... something I'll remember for a long time. I loved seeing people's reaction when they would ask if we drove the bug all the way to wherever we were that day and when they found out that wasn't even the destination.

I hope that if any of you are considering a road trip far or near, in your Bug, Bus, or Thing that you take the opportunity. Even if the trip has a few bumps it in, you won't regret the experience and friends you make along the way!
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello
Looks like yo had a chase car in a lot of the photos.
I did a 3000 mile round trip from AZ. to MO. No chase car. Had a great time and would do it again.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Stories All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: