Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Happy 60th birthday to "Martha", my 1955 Sunroof
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 4:55 pm    Post subject: Happy 60th birthday to "Martha", my 1955 Sunroof Reply with quote

"Martha", my original condition unrestored 1955 Deluxe Sunroof Beetle turned 60 years old yesterday on the "International Day of the Beetle"! She was produced on June 22nd, 1955 shortly before the millionth Beetle was produced in August. She was produced for the USA market with the then-new turn signal blinking warning lights and USA spec bumpers, and her port of entry into the USA was San Francisco, CA.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Bought by Mrs. Martha Klein of Stockton, CA and her then teenage daughter Patricia, they kept her absolutely stock, never even adding a radio or tape deck over all the years that they owned it. In the early 1990's when Martha Klein eventually entered a rest home, Patricia (who was now a grandmother herself) cared for this Beetle that she had used regularly to go to college way, way back when. "Martha's" odometer had only reached 54,000 miles and still had her original Bakelite-toothed cam gear intact inside her 36hp motor! At some point "Martha's" outer canvas sunroof cover suffered a one inch tear in the very early '60's and the local VW dealership (Stockton VW) replaced it with the then available new vinyl cover (still on her today), and after scratching 3 of the four original fenders over time in their small garage, Mrs. Klein had her local VW dealership body shop repaint those three fenders and the driver door below the trim molding in 1964 or '65. Other than that, "Martha" is as original and unmolested as she was back in 1955. She's never been restored!

Patricia was afraid to take her grand daughter for rides as "Martha" never had seat belts or mounts, and she was afraid to have an accident and any trouble with the police for not being able to strap her grand daughter in. And everywhere she parked "Martha" people were increasing approaching her to try to buy it. She started using it less and less. A vintage car broker from down in Santa Barbara eventually bought the sunroof Beetle in 1992, and he cleaned and polished her up over the winter months with plans to put her up for sale at the 1993 VW Classic weekend. He never re-titled the car, preferring to pass ownership and Mrs. Klein's original signed title straight on to the future buyer.

Here is Martha at a wedding a few hours drive away a few years back. Notice the wedding party of in the distance...

At that point I already owned two black '55 Beetles and had plans for a future restoration of one of them into the Oval I was dreaming about. Both of my old Beetles were non-sunroof hardtop versions, and I still have a entire sunroof 3-fold roof section from a '54 hanging from the ceiling of my garage that I had planned to splice in to make one of them into a beige 3-fold Deluxe sunroof Beetle with the red "H-pattern" upholstery. My "program" was locked down!

Then I luckily spotted this car at the 1993 Classic, talked with the broker and watched as a few Japanese guys tried to bargain for the car. It was exactly the car I was about to build myself. Being unmolested and totally original, I took lots of photos and video of it as reference material for the future restoration of one of the '55's that I already owned back home in St. Louis, and I jokingly mentioned to the broker and my wife that I should just buy "Martha" for the asking price, as I'd save a pile of money versus the cost of my upcoming restoration, plus I'd be driving this awesome old unrestored Beetle virtually the next day.

As I walked away reloading the camera, my wife told me that I just made perfect sense back there. Not one to normally encourage me to buy yet another old VW, Kathryn said "you seem to really love that car, you always say that original condition and unrestored is better than restored, you are going to built that exact Beetle back home, and you'd be enjoying it now instead of waiting years to finish the other one, not to mention that you'll save money buying this one". I was stunned, as she was actually suggesting that I buy this Beetle! Because of her, I came to my senses, spun around and marched back up to that beautiful Beetle and the surprised broker. I announced "I can't believe that I'm even doing this. I'll offer you $100 more than the Japanese fellas have offered you plus pay for professional "enclosed" hauling back to St. Louis, Missouri. If you have to take this offer back to them, then I'm done". He thought for about a nano-second, then smiled and almost immediately told me "Done, she's yours! I'm glad you'll get it, and it'll stay here in the States". Long story short, arrangements for payment and shipping were made, and I flew back home "freaking out" that I'd just committed to spending a decent size pile of money to buy yet another old VW and where was I going to store it... and yes, also "freaking out" that I thankfully came to my senses and bought such a cool original unmolested beauty! Thank you Kathryn for the "nudge" in the right direction!

That was way back in June of 1993, and we've had some incredible road trip memories in "Martha", including an incredible round-trip driving adventure all the way to and through Europe and all the way back again (more on that later perhaps).

Above is "Martha" entering the main gate at the Wolfsburg VW Factory during our European adventures in 1999

But for now... Happy 60th birthday to "Martha"! Thanks for an awesome ride!...with much more fun to come!

Bill Bowman
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!

Last edited by BulliBill on Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:55 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
thebucket
Samba Stockbroker

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine has it's birthday in a few days! Congrats!
Westy65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice story Bullibill !
Happy birthday Martha - you are gorgeous !
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
1960Turkis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a nice car and a great story! Take care of here Very Happy
greek_tony
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice story!!! The car is stunning!!!!
Karly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great story, beautiful car! Happy birthday Martha!
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely love this car.

Thanks for sharing the story Bill!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Brendel20
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy Birthday!!
VW Logo
bob1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations for Martha... will never forget that drive in her from St Louis to Effingham... she's a real baby!

three kisses and a big hug!
Uncle Bill You bought her a cake I may hope?

BBT Bob
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Kjell Roar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations to a nice car! Mine will soon reach 60 year, 4. august 1955.

The day before # one million Smile

My car, Aug. 4th, 1955 / an early 56: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=610438
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks gang! Here are a few more photos over the years of "Martha"...

She's got a cute ass, here she is parked in my seven-car garage. Notice the original factory paint, her original Thornton Volkswagen dealership license plate frames (front and back), her original bumpers (USA spec) and single-tip tailpipe.

A look at her original factory engine, now with a total of just over 70,000 miles on it. The original fuel pump was swapped out for an NOS later one during the European Tour adventures back in 1999 when it acted up on the return leg of the Tour in upstate NY (I gotta rebuild that and swap it back!). Original factory engine tin paint too! I just clean, wax and tune her motor occasionally.

And here she is with one of her "garage-mates" attending the MAM "Funfest about two hours away a few years back. I loaned her for the weekend to BBT Bob from Belgium and I drove and camped in my '67 SO-42 Westfalia. Both drove to/from all the events they attend, neither is a "trailer queen". Notice how the driver door panel below the chrome trim is a slightly lighter shade of beige (damn dealership paint shop back in 1960's). "Martha" is sporting an original old "sunroof" version wood-slat roofrack too, one of the only add-on accessories I'll allow on her.

The smiling guy in the photo is the lucky guy who owns them both!

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
Pinetops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful!
rjonas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Martha has orbited the nearest star 60 times....that's pretty amazing Smile
Happy Birthday Martha!

www.azbusclub.org
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
56Cabrio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i want to see some pics of Martha from the "Return To The Fatherland Tour ! Better yet Bill, I would like to see a book about your adventures sitting on my coffee table .( Hint Hint ) Beautiful 55 you have Bill.
aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

56Cabrio wrote:
i want to see some pics of Martha from the "Return To The Fatherland Tour ! Better yet Bill, I would like to see a book about your adventures sitting on my coffee table .( Hint Hint ) Beautiful 55 you have Bill.

I Second that Bill, your a word master and a great story teller, I think you need to share that whole experiance...I'd buy it
Thomas

55 ragtop
56 delux sedan
56 Kabriolet
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: Happy 60th birthday to "Martha", my 1955 Sunroof Reply with quote

Damn, I'll have to think about that. I've always wanted to see the tales and adventures from that amazing journey documented too, and I was lucky to be one of the nine car owners there to live out that round-trip journey! I wonder if any of the other guys on the adventure would add their perspectives and mind if a "coffeetable book" about the RTTFT could be made? I know nothing about getting books published... but I personally shot around 1,100 photos of the domestic and international portions of the adventure, and many hours of video. Hmmmm...

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!

Last edited by BulliBill on Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:53 am; edited 1 time in total
aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: Happy 60th birthday to "Martha", my 1955 Sunroof Reply with quote

Bill, Im so serious about that. Its not about how many you would sell, but how many you would sell the 1st week to be put on nyt's best seller in 1st week...3000 to get there..just look how many volksnuts belong to THESAMBA! Yep nice coffee table book/DVD....BAM!
Like I said your a great story teller, and the friends that went on that big adventure, just the tale you told me of stopping over in England, at the gentlemans home, that help start up the plant after the war...he told you the story over dinner...think it over and discuss with your traveling buds.
Thomas
Ps Im all excited thinking about it...lol, no not excited ...but like a new release excited..

55 ragtop
56 delux sedan
56 Kabriolet
aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: Happy 60th birthday to "Martha", my 1955 Sunroof Reply with quote

Bill, Im so serious about that. Its not about how many you would sell, but how many you would sell the 1st week to be put on nyt's best seller in 1st week...3000 to get there..just look how many volksnuts belong to THESAMBA! Yep nice coffee table book/DVD....BAM!
Like I said your a great story teller, and the friends that went on that big adventure, just the tale you told me of stopping over in England, at the gentlemans home, that help start up the plant after the war...he told you the story over dinner...think it over and discuss with your traveling buds.
Thomas
Ps Im all excited thinking about it...lol, no not excited ...but like a new release excited..oh happy belated birthday to Martha.

55 ragtop
56 delux sedan
56 Kabriolet
aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: Happy 60th birthday to "Martha", my 1955 Sunroof Reply with quote

Here you go..inventiveness

55 ragtop
56 delux sedan
56 Kabriolet
Fifty-Eight Rag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BulliBill wrote:
Thanks gang! Here are a few more photos over the years of "Martha"...

She's got a cute ass, here she is parked in my seven-car garage. Notice the original factory paint, her original Thornton Volkswagen dealership license plate frames (front and back), her original bumpers (USA spec) and single-tip tailpipe.

A look at her original factory engine, now with a total of just over 70,000 miles on it. The original fuel pump was swapped out for an NOS later one during the European Tour adventures back in 1999 when it acted up on the return leg of the Tour in upstate NY (I gotta rebuild that and swap it back!). Original factory engine tin paint too! I just clean, wax and tune her motor occasionally.

And here she is with one of her "garage-mates" attending the MAM "Funfest about two hours away a few years back. I loaned her for the weekend to BBT Bob from Belgium and I drove and camped in my '67 SO-42 Westfalia. Both drove to/from all the events they attend, neither is a "trailer queen". Notice how the driver door panel below the chrome trim is a slightly lighter shade of beige (damn dealership paint shop back in 1960's). "Martha" is sporting an original old "sunroof" version wood-slat roofrack too, one of the only add-on accessories I'll allow on her.

The smiling guy in the photo is the lucky guy who owns them both!

Bill

Awesome car Bill...love to see it sometime

1956 Oval build thread
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

1962 Single Cab Restoration
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7959298#7959298

1967 Beetle Restoration
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=495269&highlight=larrys
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: