Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

El Prado & Classic Same Day?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Shows/Events/Camping/Clubs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
AzBrewCrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been going to the Classic for years (among many other west coast events).

Last year with a new location was miserable! Long lines to get in, disorganized, crowded, just not a good event. Swap meet in the dirt, swap and show all mixed together, (not sure if I saw all of it)!

This year I went to both:

The Classic was much better than last year. Mostly because fewer people were there. The swap was way down, show was down, sponsor area about the same. It still was very disorganized, that layout of the property just isn’t great. Irvine just had a nice flow. The worst part was the cost. $7.00 to park, $20.00 per person to attend!

We left and went over to Prado before noon. WOW, $20 for a car load of people!

Great park and family atmosphere. It felt like the old days when car events were family oriented! Very big show and good size swap. May not have had the debut of the high dollar cars, but the quality of cars was still very high!

Next year we will plan to spend the entire day at Prado.

I do like the suggestions to spread them across a full week, with Pomona starting it off, that would be too cool.
belairman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been going to classic since 85 (missed last year due to being out of town on family function). I heard the stories about last year being bad but decided to go to the classic this year..My preferance is vintage stock vw's but do appreciate the cal look and cal style cars that are built. I saw very few stock vw's and they were scattered all over. The show reminded me of a vw jamboree from the 80's. Swap meet in the dirt reminded me of the Sacramento bugorama. If this is how they are going to do the classic, I won't be going anymore. I went to Prado last year and should have gone this year, as I was told all the vintage vw's were there.
OvalinAz
Samba Mini Tech

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to the classic and Prado/BlackStar. the classic Sucked in my opinion. to Bug O Rama, its all about the $$. prado/blackstar was a blast, the swap was better and there were way more people there. Definitely will be at prado all day and will skip the classic.
12/62 French 11 Window Bus

EverettB wrote:
chromies should be outlawed and thrown in the trash

Pandraggers C.C.
lawn ninja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate to say it since I've been going to classic for I don't know how long, but... If they are held on the same day again next year I'm probably going to Prado too. From the pics vs being at classic I would say Prado had a better turn out. I do hope they can figure out how to have it on different days though. It would be nice to have multiple events.

My 64 1500 S Notchback project here
My 58 sedan project here
My 63 Ghia here
53 0val
Samba Professor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OvalinAz wrote:
I went to the classic and Prado/BlackStar. the classic Sucked in my opinion. to Bug O Rama, its all about the $$. prado/blackstar was a blast, the swap was better and there were way more people there. Definitely will be at prado all day and will skip the classic.

The cars were better too. WAY BETTER..... across the board. The German Folks alone, put out better cars than the TOTAL of show quality cars at The Classic.

(I better not hear "nutswinger" either............. that's just the simple truth.)
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AzBrewCrew wrote:
Next year we will plan to spend the entire (weekend) at Prado.

OvalinAz wrote:
Definitely will be at prado all (weekend) and will skip the classic.

FIFY! Cool
69judson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gave the Classic one last try for old time sake. Been going to that one for I don't know how many years. Got there at 5:30 still got a lame parking spot. No organization of cars.I like and appreciate all manner of VW but do enjoy stock original. The clubs all roll in though secret entrances and get favored parking locations. The swap is out in the dirt. I know it's not easy to organize a show and maybe it's the best they can do. But looking at the photos from El Pardo I will definitely be going there next year. Looks like a cool show and I suspect it will just get bigger next year.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
low oval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was on vacation this year so I didn't attend any of the events. I always attend the classic and will in the future. My point of contention is that all I hear is that the swap meet is held on dirt at the classic. Well, I looked at the photo's of this event and guess what. They are also on dirt, so what is the issue?
How bout splitting the days up so all of us can attend both of the events. That would make the most sense.
53 0val
Samba Professor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

low oval wrote:
I was on vacation this year so I didn't attend any of the events. I always attend the classic and will in the future. My point of contention is that all I hear is that the swap meet is held on dirt at the classic. Well, I looked at the photo's of this event and guess what. They are also on dirt, so what is the issue?
How bout splitting the days up so all of us can attend both of the events. That would make the most sense.

Swap meet in the dirt?........How about Swap meet under the trees. Cool
aka pip
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

53 0val wrote:
low oval wrote:

Swap meet in the dirt?........How about Swap'n meat under the trees. Cool

From the sound of it, u musta had a goodtime..
I get it now.. Bob isn't you're name, it's what u do.....
53 0val
Samba Professor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aka pip wrote:
53 0val wrote:
low oval wrote:

Swap meet in the dirt?........How about Swap'n meat under the trees. Cool

From the sound of it, u musta had a goodtime..
I get it now.. Bob isn't you're name, it's what u do.....

Now that's funny Pip. Very Happy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Shows/Events/Camping/Clubs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: