Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Asking for help with history of recently acquired 1946 VW
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
chipperry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:54 pm    Post subject: Asking for help with history of recently acquired 1946 VW Reply with quote

I'm reaching out to ask for help in identifying the ownership history of my recently acquired 1946 VW. The car’s serial number is 1-061278 and its engine number is 1-087089. I bought the car last month from Brian Hyerstay who kept it in Oregon for the last 13 years. According to its birth certificate, the car still carries its original matching numbers engine. It also has many other original parts and components including its OG sand cast carburetor, cable brakes, floor pan, main body panels, fenders, wheels, deck lid handles, gas tank, pope's nose, Bakelite horn, exterior glass, windshield wipers, and interior pieces like the door handles, steering wheel, gear shifter knob, rear view mirror, brake handle, pedal assembly, and speedometer. I will attach a few photos of the car to this posting when I can figure out how to do it.

I'm very excited to be the new custodian of this special car and I plan on driving it on nice Atlanta weather days and bringing it to some shows so other people can also see and enjoy it.

Here is the ownership history that I know: Brian Hyerstay purchased the car about 13 years ago from Mike Hornbecker who bought the car in the late 1980's. As a well-known Southern California VW collector and enthusiast, Mike owned many early VW beetles and buses over the years, including at least four 1946 beetles, and he told me that 1-061278 was the pick of the litter.

To prepare for restoring 1-061278, Mike did extensive research and even made trips to Germany to acquire the correct parts he needed for the restoration. Ultimately he decided to sell the car before restoring it and that project was enthusiastically and painstakingly undertaken by Brian after he bought the car. Mike served as Brian's close advisor during the restoration, and helped him get all the details done as correctly as possible, including the black matte finish paint, red wheels, and even small things like correctly stamped bolts that secure the fenders to the body and chassis. Brian says he recognized the historical significance of the car so he spared no effort or expense in getting it right. Thanks to the great work that Mike and Brian did, today the car starts right up and runs beautifully and it exudes a special charm because although it shows very well, it definitely doesn’t appear to be over restored.

When I spoke with Mike Hornbecker he told me he thinks he bought the car from a dealer or broker in Texas or Oklahoma in the late 1980s, but because he had so many early VWs he can't recall specifically who he bought it from and he doesn't know the history of the car before he acquired it.

Obviously there is an interesting story behind how 1-061278 came to America from post-war Germany and how it survived in such good condition with minimal rust before Mike Hornbecker acquired it. I'm sure it's a long shot that after all these years someone might know some of the interesting details of the car's history, but I thought who better to ask than the faithful enthusiasts in the Samba community?

I want to thank you having read this far in my posting, and also say that I would tremendously appreciate hearing any recollections that anyone may have of the car's past owners or travels, or tips on who I might try to speak with to further my research. Any thoughts or comments or critiques you may have on the car are most welcome too!

BTW, I'm looking to acquire original period correct front and rear bumpers and hub caps to replace the repro items that are now on the car. As far as I know, other than the interior carpets, seat fabrics, and running board material, these are the only reproduction pieces on the car. My goal is to keep the car in excellent running condition and improve it however I can while retaining its historical authenticity.

Feel free to answer publicly or contact me at [email protected]. I'm planning to share whatever I learn about the car as thanks for the help everyone provides.

Chip Perry

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful car. I look forward to following this thread. Best of luck with it.

Wanted: Art Collins VW (Savannah, Georgia) items - license plate surrounds and other items. Also ivory "AM", "FM" and "SW" buttons for a US Blaupunkt Frankfurt.
sgmalt46
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

congrats. i seen that car in the late 80's early 90's? at the vw classic show.
it was nice then un-restored . hope someday mine looks like that.

steve Very Happy
66 beetle
71 square back (sold) ! good luck with it Henry!
46 beetle 552nd royal army service corps CCG
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VWmeister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:49 am    Post subject: 46 VW Reply with quote

Mike
hornbecker got a 46VW painted khaki in the 80's from Bob Everts, Chandler, AZ. It was complete and it could be this one. Bob is hard to reach but Doug Denlinger lives in his old house and might know how to reach him. Good luck. Dick
chipperry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks Dick for this great tip! I'll follow up and let you know what I find out.

I enjoy doing this kind of research. Last year I was able to find the original owner of my 1959 Porsche 356A Carrera Coupe who now lives in Texas and it was an incredible experience for both of us.

I appreciate the nice comments from 79SuperVert and sgmalt46.

The search is on...
qwerty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:24 pm    Post subject: 46 beetle history Reply with quote

Not to hijack but so that you don't go down the wrong path...actually the 46 that Bob Everts/Mike Hornbecker previously owned is one I purchased from Mike H and is now restored and in my collection. VIN is 1-061254

Before:

After:

VWCOOL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Needs to be lowered on Fuchs... Cool
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: