Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Altitude compensation?
Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gringo Loco Volador
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:32 am    Post subject: Altitude compensation? Reply with quote

Howdy Friends,

I bought a VW trike project last year and had a ton of problems with it, but managed to work through all of them and now have an excellent ride! Laughing

I just took it on the first long range trip from Kentucky to New Mexico, around the State and then back. I did not have any issues with the engine, except for the altitude compensation. At 5k to 9k feet the carb was super rich and it stumbled a lot when cold. I live at around 550' and have the carb setup for this altitude.

In January or February I am planning on doing another trip to Central America and will be crossing the continental divide a few times, staying at high altitude some and also doing a lot of sealevel riding.

My background is in building light and ultralight aircraft, and we use altitude compensating carburetion to keep the engines runing right at high altitudes. Does anyone know of a kit to retrofit the 34 Pict 3 carbs or of a compensating carb to use on my 1641 engine?

By the way, I tried several new carbs and none of them would work right out of the box. The jetting was way too small for 550' and we had to rejet a lot larger. I do not like the thought of replacing the jets every time I change altitudes, especially so far from home where if anything goes wrong I am screwed. Shocked And Murphy's law is always at work.

Thanks for any tips.

Have a good one!
Steve
vwbug72501
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:38 pm    Post subject: Altitude compensator?? Reply with quote

I'd think that an EFI system would be the way to go these days. Look at the Microsquirt controller for DIY. Check out posts by DeathbySnuSnu. He is building an EFI system for his front engine VW trike. He also has a thread running at the Trike Talk forum.

http://www.triketalk.com/forum/forums/240-VW-Powered-Trikes

I'm going EFI on my trike build.
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1539512

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=410614
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: