Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Medano Pass Muster - Date change 7/31-8/2 2015 - Colorado
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Shows/Events/Camping/Clubs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kooldub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mmmmm... "cookies" Laughing

got the 66 up and runnin'... still a few bugs to workout before the trip... Cool

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

kris
70 Squareback
73 Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks what I'm talkin' about!!! Welcome
sonofamitch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Counting down the days for this. I'm trying to get a group (Mountain Micros) from Evergreen to tag along. All splitties aside from my rustfalia

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=568454&highlight=
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good job, lets "round up the Bus's" for the epic push over the Pass. I done it going West to East years ago...anyone else tried/succeeded this in the past? I'm savin' up my grubsteak for some new shoes on the warhorse. "2 bits" at a time till I have the stash for em' (and maybe enough for a Sarsaparilla sodee pop!). Gumption..yas,yas,yas
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just ordered 4 "Roadclaw" 195/14 tires, 8 ply rating. That should help me conquer the pass..Debating on putting the Adventure wagon roof on or just leaving my "hack rack on". Decisions,decisions. My guess is water levels will be high,oh boy!!!
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice Manfred, I know a guy with a '77 who runs those. At least I'm won't be the only one with street meats on. Smile

Hoping to have my bus back in the next 3 weeks or so. He's just waiting for a CB order to come in then it's game on. If I get it back by the 10th of so I will have no problem putting 400 miles on it and getting it back into the shop for the first adjustment before the Muster.
’65 Deluxe Build
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We will be sending "good vibes" to your mechanic Rich!
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh boy!! my Road Claws came in...made me listen to on old fave...pics by Tomorrow night.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oI3x6qO_dRw
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mounted, ride nice with low road noise. Just need new rear shocks

Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the stance..

richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Manfred, I love your church bus. If only that thing could talk. Smile

I picked up my bus from the shop on Monday!!! Sure is nice to have it back. It's running good and I have a bit over 100 miles on it already. I gotta put another 300 miles on it be next weekend so I can have the 400 mile service done before the trip. Here's the link to my thread.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=562156&start=120

Who would have thought this would be such a wet summer? I'm not saying that our state doesn't need the water but damn it's wet. I'm starting to get a little concerned about the water crossings. As Manfred said a few posts back, they are most likely gonna be a couple of deep ones. The Animas river here on durango is still running over 1000 cfs, it's normally around 500 cfs at this time of year and we are all tubing. I have noticed that the smaller rivers that feed the Animas are a lot lower and totally crossable in a bus. I don't think it's Medano creek will be running at full capacity but it do think it's gonna be running enough to make the dug out water crossings kinda deep. I'm really hoping for the best.

I have the next few days off and I plan on falling the UFO Watch Tower to remind her we are coming. I hope you're all catching up on your UFO documentaries. Personally I'm kinda into the controversy and the cover up. I can't wait to camp in the San Luis Valley, I believe.

I've been trying to get my builder to make me a custom 1 1/4" hitch. He has put me off twice now but did state he'd try to get it done when it was in for the 400 mile service. Even if I don't use it on the trip I really want a hitch mount bike rack so, it will be a nice addition. I also still need to buy a compressor, at this point I'm just dragging my feet.

Didn't mean to be so long winded. Smile I'll post after I confirm with the Watch Tower.
’65 Deluxe Build
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

# 1. Manfred58sc / Manfred Bereuter / '69 bus
# 2. richparker / Rich Parker / '68 Tin Top Westy
# 3. peaceful warrior / Brian Lewis /87 Syncro and possibly the 89 Westy if the wife comes along.?????
# 4. pb24ss / Dan Radom
# 5. kooldub / Kris Sandoval / 66 bus
# 6. Mtnbus / Bubba / '59 double door camper Smile
# 7. DannoT / Dan Thues / 67 13w
# 8. samroon / '70 Tin Top Westy
# 9. Samroons friend / '71 Westy
# 10. Mike K / ???
# 11. doublea_ron / Aaron & possibly wife and kids in a '71 Westy.
# 12. Kirk Bergman/Buddy of mine from Taos/87 Vanagon Westy.
# 13. cdollar / Chris Dollar / 58 Westy
# 14. Kaput/?/?

This is the most current list of Musters, any changes?

What about those guys from Oklahoma? I'm gonna PM them.
’65 Deluxe Build
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the current CFS of Medano Creek.

’65 Deluxe Build
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard back from jmstu76. He is in SW Colorado right now and was even in Durango yesterday and will be in Pagosa for the next two days. He said at this point he is planing on coming, I added him to the line up.

Brian, is your wife gonna take the '89 westy?

# 1. Manfred58sc / Manfred Bereuter / '69 bus
# 2. richparker / Rich Parker / '68 Tin Top Westy / Johnny K riding shotgun
# 3. peaceful warrior / Brian Lewis /87 Syncro and possibly the 89 Westy if the wife comes along.?????
# 4. pb24ss / Dan Radom
# 5. kooldub / Kris Sandoval / 66 bus
# 6. Mtnbus / Bubba / '59 double door camper Smile
# 7. DannoT / Dan Thues / 67 13w
# 8. samroon / '70 Tin Top Westy
# 9. Samroons friend / '71 Westy
# 10. Mike K / ???
# 11. doublea_ron / Aaron & possibly wife and kids in a '71 Westy.
# 12. Kirk Bergman/Buddy of mine from Taos/87 Vanagon Westy.
# 13. cdollar / Chris Dollar / 58 Westy
# 14. Kaput/?/?
# 15. Jmstu76 / James / 76 westy 2.0L w/27" Grabbers
’65 Deluxe Build
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just welded up BOTH of my wasted upper shock mounts and installed 2 empi coil shocks with a 2 "notch" lift. I took it trail bashing by my house and it held up great! I'm almost ready, still need valve adjustment/gaskets and clutch cable adjustment. Maybe tomorrow, early, before the solar radiation drives me inside. Talked to a buddy who did the pass last week, very tough getting across with his lifted Jeep. We may need an alt. route. Perhaps the Marshall Pass Muster to Pitkin>Taylor Park>Old Monarch Pass??

richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Manfred58sc wrote:
Perhaps the Marshall Pass Muster to Pitkin>Taylor Park>Old Monarch Pass??

I'm totally ok with that. I'm not at home, when I get there ill look at my Gazzetier.

Edit: I have no problem with you calling a change. Not that I don't think we can make the trail but...with the exception of Brian I don't think our buses will make the water crossings. Especially if a lifted jeep had difficulty. I'll see if I can get a number to the park and ask about the water crossing depths.
’65 Deluxe Build
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I called the park yesterday, I was unable to speak to a real person but...I was directed to the website that had current information. The stream is running at 50% capisity (~20 cfs) and the crossings are DEEP!

I await a call from Manfred today to discuss his new proposed route. I don't see this changing much as far as the timeline just the venue. FR200/Marshall pass road is only an hour or so North of the UFO watch tower in Hooper.

Pending the call from Manfred, I'm still willing to meet the southern buses at the watch tower, camp and meet up with the rest of the buses on Saturday morning at 9 at Marshall Pass Road. We do the adventure and find a nice camp spot that fits all of us to camp on Saturday night. It will be a fun car-a-bus trip up the San Luis Valley to the meet spot, Marshall pass.

I will post after I speak to Manfred.
’65 Deluxe Build
jmstu76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw Mtnbus in Pagosa yesterday. I wish I was rolling the bus then he would have reconized me.

Sorry I didn't reach out to you while in Durango Rich. It was a busy day with kids taking in the fun up at Purgatory and then a late but needed lunch at steamworks. I'm bummed that 2nd Ave Sports is no longer a consignment shop, but Damn their new building is nice.

But I digrees, Still trying to work out the final touches like everyone else. Let us know if the route changes. I for one don't plan on being 600 miles from home with a swamped bus...

'76 Deluxe Sage Green Westy
2258 cc GD case 78mm CW crank, 2.0 H-beam rods 5,325” 22mm pin, JE forged pistons with 15cc dish, JE rings, type 11 clearanced oil pump, CB Eagle 2205 Type-2 “Torque Special” hydraulic cam with matched lifters fed by CB Dual Weber 40 IDF MX with 6” foam air filters, currently 55 idle, 130 main, 200 air correction, 32 mm venturis. 27in General Grabber AT2 All Terrains, Berg Shifter, stock '76 exhaust HPC Ceramic Coated. 11/18/2020
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are going to change the event, again... We are looking at the same timeline just a change in the location. Since we feel the water levels of Medano Creek are to high to pass we age come up with a new plan. This new route will start an hour north of Hooper on FR200, Marshall Pass Road. Marshall Pass Road is approximately 10 miles south of Poncha Springs off 285 on the north side of Poncha pass at Mears Junction.

We will be taking Marshall Pass Road (FR200 just south of Salida), to Sargents where we will pick up Rt50 head up to Parlin. In Parlin we will take a right and pick up CR76, we will take CR76 through Ohio and into Pitkin. At Pitkin we will pickup FR765, Cumberland pass road and take that to Tincup. In Tincup we will pick up FR287 (east willow creek road) and take that over Tincup pass. After we cross Tincup pass are we going to take FR267 to CR267 to CR162. This will be around a 120 mile or so round trip adventure.

This new route will have amazing views and will be a combination of dirt road and pavement. It will allow us to enjoy an off-road weekend with out drowning our buses. We will most likely set up camp after we cross Tincup pass on our way back to Salida. We will be able to fill up, if necessary at the Sliver Plume General Store in Pinkin (or at least the interweb says there's a gas station).

As far as the meet up goes. The final meet will be at the junction of 285 and FR200 at 9 am on Saturday morning. I know this throws a bit of a wrench on Fridays meet up/camping at the UFO watch tower since the people coming from the north won't have to drive so far south for the event. We will still have meet/camp out at the UFO Watch Tower for anyone who wants to attend. We will have an early 730am departure on Saturday morning and car-a-bus to the final meet point. It will be about an hour drive, the extra time will allow people to make a quick run to the Poncha Springs gas station at the bottom of the pass if necessary. I'm sure I'll make use of this stop for fuel since I will not be carrying any extra fuel.

I understand this is a last minute change but I can assure it will be just as much fun. Thanks.

Rich P.
’65 Deluxe Build

Last edited by richparker on Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:05 am; edited 1 time in total
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its Beeetterrrr (and saner). Thanks Rich. I will be at the watchtower, should be great night w/full moon!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Shows/Events/Camping/Clubs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Jump to:
Page 10 of 16

Jump to: