Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Practical Monster information
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 7:06 pm    Post subject: Practical Monster information Reply with quote

OK, PA shows up today at In-n-Out with his killer 2.7L upwright T4 Porsche fan 65 notchback. No special venting at all. He drives this sucker. He does however have 2 oil cooles. One small one under the back seat, like a 6 pass that blows warm air into the cabin only when needed. And a big one (not sure 18 or 20 pass) on top of the tranny with a thermo sensor controlled fan at 180 deg F. He says this sucker stays cool. And he for sure has a lead foot. No cooling issues, does not over heat. Thems the facts as I know it from a modified monster.

More pics here.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=notchboy

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Air_Cooled_Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what's the point of the post? How a Porsche-style cooling system sucks up trunk space? Laughing

It's not a T1 cooling system. Since the trunk lid is still attached I'll assume that he drives with it closed. Still not an ideal set up as all air comes up around the engine to feed the fan and carbs.

Other than that...I'd play with it! Cool I bet it's a fun car to drive!
The First Invasion
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tomnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put the same size engine in my notch and didn't lose the trunk. But it doesn't have the BLING factor a Porsche fan shroud does..............

DVKK

DSD, Dark Side Disciples
Progenitor
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well you all know me in that its gota be stock. There were posts not to long ago with questions reguarding these type of mods and the cooling ramifacations it would have. Alot of speculation for the most part. I just reporting in on a mod and what it does real life. If you want to keep it stock, cool, if not cool. Just playing devils advicate here on big motors - crazy mods. But I thought this would be a good referance wheather you like how it was executed or not. Wink

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tomnotch wrote:
I put the same size engine in my notch and didn't lose the trunk. But it doesn't have the BLING factor a Porsche fan shroud does..............

Yeah, it might no have "bling" factor of a Porsche fan, but it's got other "bling" factors, like the custom FI, the beautiful hear system (that's a work of art), the layout of the wiring, and how clean it's all set up. I'd rather have yours than the one in the above pics. Twisted Evil
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Air_Cooled_Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it might no have "bling" factor of a Porsche fan, but it's got other "bling" factors, like the custom FI, the beautiful hear system (that's a work of art), the layout of the wiring, and how clean it's all set up. I'd rather have yours than the one in the above pics. Twisted Evil[/quote]
Ditto!
The First Invasion
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwfye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep, tom's car is sooooooo boring it is awesome! you should have seen that thing move out shortly after these pics were taken!

the car flat moves out!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Notched
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After all of the additional cooling that he's added, I'm not surprised that it is running cool.

But, personally, I would rather have a big motor under the lid. Why loose trunk space? Tom's car, IMHO, is the epitomy of a big motor in a somewhat stock configuration.

Cool car none the less. I wouldn't kick it out of the garage...

Current stock: '57 Panel Bus, '63 Rat Notch, '64 Baja, '66 Variant, '67 Convertible Ghia, '68 Squareback, '69 Squareback, '69 Fastback

Southern Oregon VW Club -- http://www.sovw.org

Oregon VW Forum -- http://www.oregonvw.org
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tomnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all, but I didn't want this to become a comparison other than pointing out the trunk can be retained with a big TIV.

The pix that Brian posted were a one in 10,000 chance meeting, maybe higher. Brian lives close to 450ish miles south of me. He drove up to some little podunk town just south of Portland, Or. to hit some drive-in movie car thing while I came down for the vintage Porsche/outlaw 356 gathering a couple of towns over on the same weekend. I was headed back over to my sis's when out of the blue here comes Brian the other way! I had not planned my return to my sis's, just grabbed a road that headed in the general direction, Brian and I had not been in communication at all. Quite a coincidence. And I was lucky to have my digi camera with me.

I do want to add a bit about what my motivation was to build my notch the way I did. It was a big "What If" exploration. What if VW had got the urge to build something like Detroit was back in the late '60s, you know, an intermediate with a big block? The 914 2.0 engine would be a natural and was just put out at the end of the TIII production. And it being German what about the GTI influence that came just a bit later, handling in a peppy little econo car and will take on sports cars? So I did some time ignoring and a lot of parts bin engineering. The motor was a natural evolution of the oringinal t3 and with a larger car and bus in mind, like a big block Pontiac GTO, Chevelle big block, etc. The rear suspension is mostly 944 which originally came from the T1&III irs cars, parts bin engineering sort of in reverse in my application. And it had to look factory and have the factory feel.

That is the vision that made me do it after finding a very neglected but still savable notch body on a later pan.

DVKK

DSD, Dark Side Disciples
Progenitor
P.A. Davis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well All,

I thought I'd reply to the comments. Thanks to Jason for posting the pix, but all in all, from what little I had to start with, it came out pretty neat.
Originally, I was going to build my Notch for rally racing, set it up like a
baja, sort of, and actually race it, got tired of the GTI's and front wheel drive.

The project then progressed into a "hot-rod" to "save" the notch. There are
so many things wrong with it, like a '68-69 front clip on a '65 body, wrong doors, soooo much rust. Originally, I was going to build a 1915 similar to my Thing motor, but an opportunity arose to get the 2733 in a swap for building
the 1915 for a friend and giving him a '63 Bug for his "hot rod".

A lot of time and planning went into this, just to see if it could be done, and, obviously, it can. I sat in line to cross the border for 2 1/2 hours and it only hit 210 degrees, the main cooler is a 96 plate Mesa w/ fan and thermo switch for 170 degrees, the second cooler is behind the drivers's seat, and has 2 fans blowing into the cabin via a 2 speed switch (hi/lo) for heat, I haven't really used it yet.

All you purists (Jason included), can keep the nice, stock cars. I've gotten similar comments about my Thing, and just about every car I've built, but I can respect and admire the original cars, and I would NEVER tear up a nice, original car to do what I've done. I'll leave them to you guys to preserve for posterity.

Specs:

2733 T4, originally built by FAT Performance. 103 mm JE pistons, Cro-mo cran & rods, SLR ported heads w/ 50's and 40's. Weber 44's, 050, Schneider cam, custom exhaust w/ Flowmaster (2 1/2").
'73 single side tranny with all the trimmings and a 3.88 r/p and .82 4th.
Kennedy Stage 2, Thing flanges, cv joints and stubs and SAW axles.

Some will like it, and others won't, but I love it, and yes, it is fun to drive.

Thanks,

P.A.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread was originaly intended to give those interested in doing, fixing or what ever a "actual" perspective. It seems that every time a notch owner wants to put an upright in his car they get slammed. And for the most part its by peoples speculation, mine included. I had the rare opurtunity to speak actual heating and cooling issues with PA and reported them. Thats all. This is a saved notch that had nothing but a body and auto pan. Thats it. Get the carbs dialed in so I can go fast in it! Wink

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
mercutio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where can we find pics of Toms car??

Thanks

M
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can find them here; http://home.att.net/~drsowatt/index.html Cool
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
wynsquezr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 11:21 am    Post subject: Quickest way to more HP is more CC's Reply with quote

If t4 2.7 will work in notch what about a 911/912 pancake 6 in SB I've had this fantasy of gearing and horsepower and handling _ I know the front end would need box frame under and stiffener plate to mount TA and distribute torq load but anyone with any thopught or info - has it been done before
vwfye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tomnotch wrote:

The pix that Brian posted were a one in 10,000 chance meeting, maybe higher. Brian lives close to 450ish miles south of me. He drove up to some little podunk town just south of Portland, Or. to hit some drive-in movie car thing while I came down for the vintage Porsche/outlaw 356 gathering a couple of towns over on the same weekend. I was headed back over to my sis's when out of the blue here comes Brian the other way! I had not planned my return to my sis's, just grabbed a road that headed in the general direction, Brian and I had not been in communication at all. Quite a coincidence. And I was lucky to have my digi camera with me.

to add to Tom's recollecting... I had never taken this road before either!!! I knew I was early for the Newberg drive-in event and decided to take a back highway that I hoped would end up in the right place. I recall thinking to myself... "here comes a squareback! no wait, that color looks familiar... so does that car! Wait, that's Tom's notchback!!!!"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Air_Cooled_Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Quickest way to more HP is more CC's Reply with quote

wynsquezr wrote:
If t4 2.7 will work in notch what about a 911/912 pancake 6 in SB I've had this fantasy of gearing and horsepower and handling _ I know the front end would need box frame under and stiffener plate to mount TA and distribute torq load but anyone with any thopught or info - has it been done before

The 912 never came with a 6-banger. It was the Porsche's way of allowing someone to have a 911 but with a lesser motor and thus lower cost.

Most likely every engine made has been put into every car made Laughing But seriously, yes, it's been done before. Rear suspension is what requires modifying, not the front, and the engine and tranny will require the body to be modified quite a bit to get it all to fit. More money than it's worth in my opinion...unless you've got money to burn.
The First Invasion
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: