Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Odd symptoms - engine 'shudders' ?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Westy65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:26 am    Post subject: Odd symptoms - engine 'shudders' ? Reply with quote

Hi all ,
My family and I had a great day at our VW meet on Saturday. The meet was 70 miles away and the drive to the motorway ( interstate ? ) was fine . Once on the motorway the car cruised effortlessly at 60 - 65 mph for about 45 minutes - I was happy as could be .... however once we left the motorway and returned to normal roads the car was reluctant to accelerate cleanly and sort of felt as if we were running out of fuel ( sort of shuddering ) when accelerating ... this lasted 10 - 20 seconds or so and then went back to normalish but was reluctant all the way home ( 20 minutes from motorway )
Any ideas please what could cause this ? I'm going to check valve clearances first since that was the only thing I didn't check prior to takeoff - please advise what else to look for .
It's a 56 with original engine but good condition ! 😃
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mr. OGPaint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What was the outside air temperature when this happened?
Snort
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Contaminated or blocked fuel supply, plugged accelerator pump, defective or out of adjustment ignition points.
Westy65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ultramoron - it was 27 C / 80 F outside 😀

Snort - the week before this the carb was rebuilt and the distributor too , new points checked and double checked for adjustment - although that said I would like to know how the guys here set their points 😉

Why would the engine run so nice to the motorway , on the motorway and only play up after - seems to me to do with the added temp of the engine or something but fair to say there's a lot of guessing going on there 😄
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Snort
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rebuilding the carburetor and distributor does not rule out any of the possibilities I listed. At some point you will need to start exploring your motor to find the solution, so my list was intended as a road map to get started.

Plugged accelerator pump will be more evident at slower motor speeds, shifting gears and less so when cruising at speed.
Westy65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Snort ,
Thanks for your reply once again . The reason the carb was rebuilt was a delay of a second or so when accelerating ( I thought accelerator pump ) ... that's great now runs well across the rpm range and beautifully on the motorway - problems occurred only when we left .... I'm new to this DIY car service stuff and hence appreciate all advice given - what I don't understand is why this problem if caused for example by a physical blockage isn't constant. Why would it not show all the time - it happened going to the show too - great to motorway - great on motorway - struggling after ?
D. Haviland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check points. Reset points. Reset timing.

It just sounds like a points issue.
747frieghtdog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Accelerator pump/ little ball bearings in the passage way stuck.
Kjell Roar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had some similar problems once. It was one of the plug wires that had been burned omn the preheat-tube and grounded a little.

My car, Aug. 4th, 1955 / an early 56: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=610438
tisius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Westy65 wrote:
Ultramoron - it was 27 C / 80 F outside ��

Snort - the week before this the carb was rebuilt and the distributor too , new points checked and double checked for adjustment - although that said I would like to know how the guys here set their points ��

Why would the engine run so nice to the motorway , on the motorway and only play up after - seems to me to do with the added temp of the engine or something but fair to say there's a lot of guessing going on there ��

Sounds like the key elements to have a perfectly nice running engine has been touched in that tune-up the week before.
So you have to go trouble shooting methodically... check ignition (incl gap between points), fuel supply, electrical circuit, valve clearance et cetera.

This is why I only change/adjust one key item at a time (if a full rebuild isn't needed), and then drive the car so see if the work carried out has been effective.

Good luck, I hope you can resolve the issue fast and be a happy driver again!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Westy65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Odd symptoms - engine 'shudders' ? Reply with quote

I thought I should follow this up rather than leaving it seemingly unresolved ..
I overhauled the fuel pump and suspect the diaphragm hadn't been replaced for at least 35 years - it was rock hard but still pumpin' Very Happy I thought that would be it but whilst a slight improvement , nothing to take heart from.
Next we started again with the ignition timing, again , nothing drastic noted in terms of improvements ...
Onto the carb , again , all seemed in order ...
I remember reading in a thread here that valve clearances can cause all sorts of funny symptoms so rocker covers off , in we went .... clearances varied from 0.35mm to zero , so we re-set these at 0.1mm - what a difference ! Shocked
She starts now as soon as the key is turned and runs like a Swiss clock ( without the cuckoo ) ... I loved driving her before , even with all the coughs and farts but now ..... I'm in heaven Very Happy
Never give up on these niggling faults !
Kjell Roar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 2:04 am    Post subject: Re: Odd symptoms - engine 'shudders' ? Reply with quote

Good 😊

A tip: Valve clearance check should always be done before tuning carburetor and ignition.

My car, Aug. 4th, 1955 / an early 56: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=610438
Westy65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 4:50 am    Post subject: Re: Odd symptoms - engine 'shudders' ? Reply with quote

That's a great tip kjell Roar - I wish I'd done mine earlier !. I'd love to know why valve clearances are THAT important Very Happy
tasb
The Distributor Distributor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: Odd symptoms - engine 'shudders' ? Reply with quote

"distributor rebuilding" is more than just replacing tune up parts.

1965 hardtop Deluxe Microbus owned since 1990 M 620 factory 12 v 1500cc

1961 (October)Single Cab- Road Trip Workhorse
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Westy65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: Odd symptoms - engine 'shudders' ? Reply with quote

tasb wrote:
"distributor rebuilding" is more than just replacing tune up parts.

I'm unsure of your point there ... are you simply stating the obvious or do you mean something else please ?
tasb

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: Odd symptoms - engine 'shudders' ? Reply with quote

It is very common for someone to say they rebuilt their distributor when all they really did was replace points, condenser, rotor and/or cap. It's no reflection upon you just restating the not so obvious.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Westy65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Odd symptoms - engine 'shudders' ? Reply with quote

tasb wrote:
It's no reflection upon you just restating the not so obvious.

You're doing it again , you can't help yourself .... of course it's no reflection on me . To me , you defining what does not constitute a re-build is very much stating the obvious - I am English and understand the term 're-build' .
Your original comment was irrelevant , added nothing positive to the thread and was in no way helpful .
I would also give the majority of members here credit for understanding that a points replacement doesn't equate to a re-build - without feeling the need to tell them .
Thank you so much for sharing your 'expertise' - I hope you won't mind me sharing some of mine - " an oil change (even combined with a strainer de-gunge ) does not constitute an engine re-build "
tasb

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Westy65 wrote:
Ultramoron - it was 27 C / 80 F outside 😀

Snort - the week before this the carb was rebuilt and the distributor too , new points checked and double checked for adjustment - although that said I would like to know how the guys here set their points 😉

Why would the engine run so nice to the motorway , on the motorway and only play up after - seems to me to do with the added temp of the engine or something but fair to say there's a lot of guessing going on there 😄

You can drop the attitude:it's not necessary.

What I am saying is that there may be other not so obvious issues with the distributor that are causing your symptoms of poor performance. My focus is distributors and I see ads in the classifieds all the time that have "rebuilt distributor" for sale and all they have done is replace the tune up parts. I'm not trying to be negative and if you feel my contribution is irrelevent I'm sorry. I'll stop trying to offer the help you asked for now.

Last edited by tasb on Fri Apr 15, 2016 2:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Westy65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tasb wrote:

I'll stop trying to offer the help you asked for now.

With respect , you've offered no help whatsoever . Banging on about advertiser's descriptions of distributors in an obviously self serving manner has actually managed to drag this thread completely off-topic .
If you'd bothered to read the posts above , you would have noted that the fault appears to be remedied and it was nothing to do with the distributor - a distributor that has been re-built in the truest meaning of the word.
easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Westy65 wrote:
With respect, you've offered no help whatsoever.
Sometimes help doesn't have to smack you in the face. Tim is very knowledgeable and helpful. But I guess you like being smacked in the face & are seriously disappointed otherwise.
Westy65 wrote:
Banging on about advertiser's descriptions of distributors in an obviously self serving manner has actually managed to drag this thread completely off-topic.
I didn't read any of what you just described. Lighten up.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: