Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My 1954 build thread "Beatrix"
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 51, 52, 53  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheLadyBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

splitjunkie wrote:
The car is looking great. I will point this out since you are going to such great lengths to get everything right. Most of the fasteners on the body and chassis were not bright zinc or silver cad plated. They would have a black finish. This would most likely be either black oxide or black zinc.

Black oxide doesn't provide much if any corrosion resistance so they would have to be oiled or waxed. Black Zinc provides excellent corrosion resistance. Given the fact that most of the fasteners we see are rusted unless they were painted or stayed greasy or oily, I would think that black oxide was the original finish.

Regardless, I hope your plater is baking them after plating to prevent Hydrogen Embrittlement. Black Oxide is a conversion process and does not have the problem of Hydrogen Embrittlement so does not require baking.

No one around here does black oxide plating. I looked into it. Apparently it's so toxic to do that no where even remotely close to me does it. Really, I was lucky enough to have the only plater in town agree to do zinc on hardware - normally, he doesn't do hardware at all unless it's for car restoration as he happens to be a car enthusiast. I figured this detail of the fasteners would be overlooked since I am using the original ones and am wanting them to last. I know it's not correct - but, neither is my powder coating Razz It really came down to being able to use the original hardware or not.

Thanks for the info though - but sadly, black oxide was not an option.

Concept1 order placed for fuel line and random bits, and an order from WW placed for shift and brake boots and body to pan pads and gaskets... I know I know, it will be a small century before I get the body back but a girl can wish, right?
2016 Golf highline - hubby’s daily
2016 Golf R - my daily
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wash the ivory bakelite pieces in the kitchen sink with Sunlight dish detergent and a firm toothbrush. If you soak them for a few minutes first they come clean very easily.

Don
TheLadyBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sunroof wrote:
I wash the ivory bakelite pieces in the kitchen sink with Sunlight dish detergent and a firm toothbrush. If you soak them for a few minutes first they come clean very easily.

Don

Awesome! I did the very same thing. 'Cept I used dawn, since that's all we use because I use it on the baby's cloth diapers time to time. LOL.

Anyway, as things sometimes have a way of working out - I may have a way to get some hardware black zinc plated. So. Now I have to decide what gets plated silver and what gets plated black. Any advice on things that should be done in black? All of it? LOL. I think I may just have things done correctly from now on and leave the stuff I already have plated as is in silver.

AND... I may have found a way to have things dipped to be cleaned. This would have been useful information when my fenders and hood/deck lid were covered in undercoating, lol. Hundreds of hours later Rolling Eyes .... But, I'm going to send my engine tin and other stuff to be cleaned this way that I couldn't possible clean myself by hand.

Got these two hardware pieces changed out and got the cotter pin in the freshly plated pin... I think I need another washer in there though. Also got the new lock plates on the spindles.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Any tips on removing the heater control knob from the pin so I can change out the escutcheon for my nice new plated one? My knob is worse for wear so I need a new one, it's cracked and chipped. Confused I assume the pin has to come out but it's stuck on there nice and tight.
2016 Golf R - my daily
TheLadyBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got my parcel from concept1, as they had a line that was the appropriate length for the rear passenger line. All hard lines are run save for the ones to the rear wheels, obviously. Master cylinder is painted and in the car. Need some new nuts for mounting the cylinder to the pan as the ones I had didn't fair out too well.

My parcel from WW arrived today as well. Shift and ebrake boot, and all body pads I need to mount the body to the pan, including the belly gasket. I know that it's gonna be a while but I'm trying to have my ducks in a row.

Next on my list:
I'm waiting on some powder coat samples to see if any match the interior color. If one is an exact match, I'm going to powder coat them. If not, then they'll get painted with single stage. I have yet to decide if I should tank these items to strip them or if they should be blasted.

Once I get that ebrake handle and gear shift back from being refinished, I can finish putting the tunnel all back together and put the beam on.

At that point I will be at a standstill with the pan until my transmission and body are done. This kinda makes me sad as I am moving along much faster than I had expected and now I'm waiting on other people. I thought it would be the other way around!

So, then I will begin cleaning and preparing my engine pieces to be rebuilt and try to get those all ready for when the long block is complete. My carb needs a bigger overhaul than I am capable, which sucks as that was one rebuild I was looking forward to doing myself.

I will also have the tires dismounted from the rims and have the rims blasted and straightened so they will be ready for paint.
Does anyone know what the paint color was for the inset ivory color for the wheels? Is it the same beige as the interior?

I have now gone through 2 heater control knobs trying to get one free from the pin that holds it onto the control. I am waiting to hear about shipping on an NOS one. I need to heat up the pin to get it out and there's no way to salvage the knob if I have to heat it up. My dad warned me to leave well enough alone but the escutcheon was badly chewed up from a visegrip (came like that!), so I couldn't just leave it as it was. I have cracked two knobs trying to free them from the pin by using a punch. The plastic is just too brittle.

2016 Golf R - my daily
54bugn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is unfortunate, but I had to break my heater knob too, to get the pin out. Once the knob was off, I was able to use vice grips on the pin and twist it out. I obtained a new knob and pin and I am glad I took it apart, it looks and works much better now.

Great build keep up the nice work,
Mike

54 European Sedan deluxe
Build thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=414940
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TheLadyBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This arrived today. Very Happy its in awesome condition and is OG.

Dropped off another batch of things at the powder coaters, looking forward to getting that back.

I took the lid off the regulator and was pleased how clean it was inside. I gently cleaned the bottom, hoping that it all works ok. Not sure how vigorously I can clean it without damaging the brown cardboard disc it sits on.

Took a bunch of items to be tanked/cleaned, like the gear shift rod and ebrake push rod, and the generator fan. I'm torn as to leaving the gear shift/ebrake rods bare metal.

Still waffling as to how to finish the beige interior pieces... I got some powder coat for them that looks darn close in color. I have to see if the shop who did my pan will do my seat frames as they're too large for my usual coater that does my small parts.
2016 Golf R - my daily
TheLadyBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waiting on another heater control knob as I broke the last one pushing the pin back in. It really sucks when your dad is right! Laughing so that's 3 broken knobs.
I need a new pin as I wrecked the last one when I broke the knob. Choice words were said, lol.

Interior pieces are stripped. Still waiting on more powder samples, as I think I'm leaning to get these powder coated.

Generator and fan cleaned. I already have the mount potion of the fan powder coated as the piece was identical as came on the car.

All cables are now run through the car. I bought another choke cable as mine had a weak spot from where it was getting stuck inside, so I replaced it with a new one just incase.

Master cylinder in its place with pedal cluster all back together.

Just waiting on my engine tin and other stuff from the powder coater and some other pieces still getting cleaned and plated.
My generator is going to be sent for a rebuild now that it's clean. I have to send my carb off once I get it back from being cleaned as well.

I grabbed some special steel epoxy to begin restoring the steering wheel but I think that will be a winter project.

Hoping my transmission and long block will be ready in September for pick up.
2016 Golf R - my daily
silvertonguedevil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work so far. I'll be watching this one.
Srecko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Charmaine, Where did you source the rubber boot that sits over your brake light switch? Keep up the great work....coming together.
TheLadyBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Srecko wrote:
Hey Charmaine, Where did you source the rubber boot that sits over your brake light switch? Keep up the great work....coming together.

Hey,
I thought I got the boot from Wolfsburg West but I just tried to look for it and couldn't find it. I checked cip1 and it's from there; VWC-411-941-539-PR Master Cylinder Brake Switch Boot. $12.99 CAD/$9.99 USD.

I forgot to add before that my seat frames are also fixed (cross bar welded back on as both were broken off) and cleaned.

And my fuel pump is all nice and clean ready for rebuild.

2016 Golf R - my daily
Srecko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks Charmaine
TheLadyBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well... Tomorrow marks one year that we've had the car.

Today I dropped off the interior pieces to have them painted in single stage and picked out a beige color that was bang on. I never did find a powder that was perfect - lots were darn close but I'm happier with them being exact. So, still waiting to get that darn e-brake together.

Spent some time looking at bumpers and running boards tonight. The body guy asked for a straight bumper for when he does the rear apron and quarters to make sure all is level... so I have to get that picked out. I was pointed to WW or BBT for these items.

Waiting on my generator and starter back from being rebuilt. Going to send my carb and fuel pump to the guy who's doing my engine to be rebuilt as they need a little more love than a normal rebuild.

Waiting on a bunch of stuff from the plater and powder coater.

Waiting on a new heater control knob, should be here any day now.
Waiting on a new drivers side vent window trim piece... Since mine is stuck in the door and likely needs cutting out.

Next on my list is the wheels straightened and painted, and getting the semaphore arms painted so they can be rebuilt and assembled. And I have to source the best place to get cokers... and decide which arm and leg I'd like to trade for them Wink I want white walls and have been lectured not to dare buy bias ply Wink
2016 Golf R - my daily
TheLadyBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Celebrated Beatrix's 1 year with us by ordering new WW bumpers, BBT running boards, early oval mats for the boards, 30mm trim and some other misc parts.

Now to look for some clips, irons, running board to fender seals and the dreaded Coker.
2016 Golf R - my daily
TheLadyBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some stuff arrived today!

Bbt running boards, the correct oval mats for the boards (which are unjustifiably expensive), some WW euro bumpers and other random bits.

A little disappointed as I had a want ad for a driver's side vent window trim piece. Mine is stuck inside the door and the latch holder is broken. A guy responded, his was correct but also broken. He said he had another piece with the latch intact, and it was. However the one with the intact latch is not the correct piece, and unfortunately the one he sent. So hopefully we can figure something out. Doing the car to spec is getting kind of annoying!
2016 Golf R - my daily
TheLadyBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got some parts back from the powder coater today.

Super excited about the round regulator - took me forever to find one that was reasonably priced and working. The cap turned out beautifully.

The e-brake cover and tin for under the fuel pump.

These also turned out amazing. They were tedious to find but I'm glad I persisted!

I'd love to start the upholstery etc but I won't be buying any of that until the Canadian dollar gets better. I'm thinking a kit from Lenny Copp at West Coast Classics will be the way to go. As my car did not come factory with a radio, I am wanting to replicate a Volkswagen suitcase to match the interior, and put a battery powered speaker in the suitcase to plug an iPod into. I'm going to start looking into this more so when it comes time to buy the interior, I can buy matching material to make the suitcase.

On the go:
Wheels are being straightened and refinished so that I can have a rolling pan when it's time for the body. I'll wait to buy tires until the absolute last minute, or I may mount my weather checked tires if it will be a while before the car is driveable.
The engine and transmission haven't had much work since the spring but I'm hoping to hear back on these soon.
Seat frames and all interior beige pieces should be done shortly.
Waiting on my plater to get pieces back, had the clutch rod and ebrake rods plated, and my remaining hardware all plated with black zinc.
My 4th heater control knob arrived... Going to get a new pin made, and get the nos shaft and screw cap plated. I am going to try my hardest not to bust this one!
Virtanen has agreed to trial making correct early oval bumper mount brackets for me so hopefully he'll be able to do these.

Parts I'm looking for:
Driver's side vent window trim and latch
Driver's side heater control sled - 3 hole/3 rib style
AL smooth semaphore arm
Dark orange semaphore lens
Red hella taillight lens (not a snowflake), with bezel
OG Heart taillight lenses
Driver's side taillight bulb holder
Hardware - the bolts I broke. One rear shock tower, one for rear spring plate, one of the paired body/chassis bolts at the base of the parcel shelf, 2 fender bolts, and 2 front shock bolts. I want correct vintage markings. I can try to find sizes once I get my hardware back.

Shoot me a message and we can go from there if you happen to have what ok looking for! Hopefully that sums up my list of hard to find stuff, although I'm sure there will be more things I don't even know about.

I also can't seem to find running board clips sold by themselves, or the running board to fender seal for early cars. If someone could point me in the right place? WW only seems to sell them in a kit with the whole running board. I don't even know what these pieces look like to know what I'm even looking for.
2016 Golf R - my daily
3foldfolly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The running board to fender seals are large rubber washers. WW sells them as well as the molding clips.
http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=111821545
http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=113853559
TheLadyBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3foldfolly wrote:
The running board to fender seals are large rubber washers. WW sells them as well as the molding clips.
http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=111821545
http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=113853559

Brilliant, thank you! Cool
Now why they didn't show up in my search, I have no idea.

I'll add those to my next order. Very Happy
2016 Golf R - my daily
pig-pen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello! I still have that vent window for you if you want it...
TheLadyBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pig-pen wrote:
Hello! I still have that vent window for you if you want it...

I sent you a PM. Wink

So. Here are the places I'm needing bolts. I don't know the size of these as I don't have any of my hardware.

I do know that one of the bolts I need is a Rasche 8g M10x1.5 50mm length with a 30mm shoulder, 17mm head. That is the paired bolt from body to pan under the seat, right above my finger in this last photo.

I got the window latch mechanism back from the plater today - they turned out nice considering they were pretty beat up.

Finally my push rod and clutch tubes are back and plated. Too bad I forgot to give him the spring and some other ebrake stuff so I still can't put it together. Rolling Eyes I'll drop off the stuff I forgot tomorrow and wait some more.

Is there a place to buy the inner rod for the ebrake handle that the little spring sits on? Mine is all bent to shit... I assume straightening it will do nothing as it will just bend again.
Sorry for the crappy picture but the rod in there is all wavy.

2016 Golf R - my daily
cn63bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking good. Can't wait to see it finished Smile
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 51, 52, 53  Next
Jump to:
Page 21 of 53

Jump to: