Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Ragtop Grafting Process Begins... Wish me luck!
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mattsvdub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 7:46 pm    Post subject: Ragtop Grafting Process Begins... Wish me luck! Reply with quote

I'm doing the prep work on grafting a 58-63 2 fold factory Rag into my 67 Resto Custom.... I purchased the section and mechanism and will document it as I progress w/photos....
I've researched allot of hours on this and gotten many great tips from Samba users... So time to dive in... I'm a welder / fabricator by trade but this will be my first attempt at Auto Body weld/fab... Wish me luck and thanks to all for all the good info... Hopefully it will all pay off... Arrow
bmtx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck Mattsvdub. Remember measure 2 cut 1. I seem to live life by that as well.
happy hoppy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cut it twice and its still too short !?

good luck, pic.s please!
mattsvdub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not real sure how to post pics in the forum? It doesn't work like the classifieds? I'm posting photos on my website, www.mattsvw.com and then I'll link to them here in my posts? Appreciate it if anyone could hint me on how to get the photos in the forums... Not real web savvy like that... Thanks
mattsvdub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For anyone that wants to check them out... I posted photos of the 1st Rag clip I purchased for this grafting.... Check my web-site under projects....
www.mattsvw.com ... I bought this from an ad here on Samba and paid twice what it should have been due to mis-representation or just plain not telling the truth. Anyhow it's mine now and I will choose between another I have on the way... Actually after I trimmed and cleaned the edges of this one it doesn't look too bad... The original owner torched it out but lucckily didn't warp it.... and left enough on to still be trimmed by a competent fabricator.
Once I have it media blasted it should be damn good to go....
Will post updates throughout the process... and photos on here once I figure out how?
keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

there was a great article in HVW's last year or so on this job... one of the best "how too's" I've seen in that mag in all these years. Can't remember the month and I do not have the mag with me but it had a blue bug on the cover and the dude had a blue and white surfboard painted the same color as the car.

Maybe someone else has the month. If I find the mag I could make copies and send them to you.
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mattsvdub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be greatly appreciated Keifer, Although even the month would be cool as I need to order a couple back issues anyhow...
I'm still awaiting the arrival of my second donor clip so I may decide which one I'll be using... So I'm thinking it will still be a couple weeks befor I do any actual fabbing... At the same time I'm going to do the tunnel work on the body to clear the nose cone of the Berg 5 speed...
Actual sheetmetal work is my forte'... so that will be the fun one...
I love the subtle custom finishing touches that only true die-hards like myself pick out on a well done car...
mattsvdub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recieved my second ragtop section along with the complete mechanism today. Ive started posting photos of the pieces and the process at www.mattsvw.com under current projects, Then under "Mona"...
Should start to get interesting as tomorrow I take all my parts to the metal stripping place and we'll see how they all turn out...
Stay Tuned..
Bklyn63
Samba Mafioso

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is the link you want:

http://www.netspot4u.com/~manxclub/gallery/album107

I did it this way also. In my retro fit I kept the front 3 support brackets which helped me line up the section perferctly instead of measuring.

here are my before and after pics.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=84536
mattsvdub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally worked out family time to have a full Saturday at the Bump Shop where my 67's at... I was able to do all the Fab work, Measuring, Cutting, Trimming and Welding in one day... What a job..Only needs very minimal spot putty to blend in graft line...
It looks and fits fantastic only one issue... I beleive the front edge of the sunroof sits back approximately a half to 3/4 of an inch further back from the windsheild than normal. Reason being I did not have the factory support tabs still intact on the clip and as I was thinking about it I remembered reading allot about wind buffeting in Ragtops even with Pop-Outs, So I figured It may be better to have the leading edge a bit further back from front than more forward... I can't tell the difference from looking at it.. Only with tape measure.. I just thought with a dumped front end and a rake from rear to front it would dip the sunroof into the wind even more?
Am I putting too much thought into it or what? In any case it looks great and I'll have current photos on my site within a week... Now onto the final prep for the rest of the body...
Thanks again for the support and constructive comments..
mattsvdub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for curiosity sake would someone with a factory 2 fold rag post a couple measurements for me please?
From top center of windshield to the lip of the ragtop frame and from the top edge of the rear window to the rear of the ragtop? May be kinda hard with the ragtop on though as it has that hold down strip and mechanism in the way? Close measurements would be fine I guess...
I just have to know how close I am...
Thanks much...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: