Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Mk II Jetta five-speed stuck in third
Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
joemac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 6:28 pm    Post subject: Mk II Jetta five-speed stuck in third Reply with quote

I just sold my '92 Jetta this afternoon. A couple of hours later, the buyer calls me and says it's stuck in third and won't start. I go and find that it ids indeed stuck. No amount of rocking and prying against the selector will get it out of gear. I suspect the ignition module died and I'll be going back with a known-to-be-good module and a spare coil.

Any ideas as to how to get it out of gear?
I don't want to pull the trans if I don't really need to and I'd hate to see the poor guy have to pay the going rate for a swap.
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

020 trans expert says: http://www.brokevw.com/overshift.html . Confused
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joemac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. That's more involved that I'm going to be getting.
ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: Mk II Jetta five-speed stuck in third Reply with quote

joemac wrote:
I just sold my '92 Jetta this afternoon. A couple of hours later, the buyer calls me and says it's stuck in third and won't start. I go and find that it ids indeed stuck. No amount of rocking and prying against the selector will get it out of gear. I suspect the ignition module died and I'll be going back with a known-to-be-good module and a spare coil.

Any ideas as to how to get it out of gear?
I don't want to pull the trans if I don't really need to and I'd hate to see the poor guy have to pay the going rate for a swap.

A 23 year old car should only sold with a tail light warrantee,
as soon as the tail lights leave your drive way, the warranty has expired.
I sold my '89 Jetta, and the guy called the next day saying the car wouldn't start.
I told him the seat belts on the doors where interlocked to the ignition.
Go back outside and plug the seat belts back into the doors, and then leave them the hell alone.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: