Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Our Ambitious Karmann Ghia Project
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It fits.

That'll be tremendous!

What are your ideas for the cooling system; specifically how to position the radiator into the car? The Ghia's two front air intakes (possibly also the horn hole) could be redirected/ducted to an air box inside the spare tire well which contains the radiator, and the hot air directed out at the bottom of the well. This way the entire cooling air intake system is not immediately visible at a casual glance...

You can fit dual "accessory" style horns to the underside of the front bumper so that it looks like a period accessory but you still have functional horns.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
KGKrzy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rome wrote:
Quote:
It fits.

That'll be tremendous!

What are your ideas for the cooling system; specifically how to position the radiator into the car? The Ghia's two front air intakes (possibly also the horn hole) could be redirected/ducted to an air box inside the spare tire well which contains the radiator, and the hot air directed out at the bottom of the well. This way the entire cooling air intake system is not immediately visible at a casual glance...

You can fit dual "accessory" style horns to the underside of the front bumper so that it looks like a period accessory but you still have functional horns.

Rome:

Your timing is perfect, as I am just about to roll out some new ideas pertaining to this exact topic.

For background, you'll see if you look at noslzzp's build site (www.basilari.com), that he made the decision in conjunction with Kevin "coolrydes" Zagar to mount his radiator out back in the Basilari's expanded engine bay (package shelf is gone) just forward of the motor. Mine will be located in this same area, though I'll likely not be mounting mine on a tubular steel frame. Instead, I think I'll likely attach mine to some custom mounting frames made from bent sheet steel/aluminum and supported by either a) the outer edge of the package shelf which I will leave in place and/or b) the inside of the wheel tubs.

I don't anticipate any major issues with this setup as I will be installing fans to push/pull air through from the area above the rear suspension to keep things cool. I'm still working through the details of extracting the hot air from the engine compartment, and I have the additional requirement of leaving room for twin turbo's and the associated charged air piping and and air-to-water intercoollers which will be part of phase 2 of my build.

More to come on this topic.

...and now here's something we hope you'll really like...KGKrzy's KrzyKG
www.krzykg.wordpress.com
KGKrzy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 9:41 pm    Post subject: Comfortably Contained Reply with quote

I don't yet have enough parts on hand to begin the serious task of building the Krzy KG, but its no longer for lack of effort. I'm trying to make sure I buy all of the components that are going to be required to complete most if not all of the required chassis modifications. Near the top of the list was seats. Here's what I bought tonight to fill the void:

They look too civilized for the seriously on the edge driving I hope to do in my car, but with a little closer look (see the post in my build thread), you'll see these seats are well-suited for a hard day at the track.

www.krzykg.wordpress.com
noslzzp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KGKrzy wrote:
... and I have the additional requirement of leaving room for twin turbo's and the associated charged air piping and and air-to-water intercoollers which will be part of phase 2 of my build.

holy crap.. Smile +1!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SvFalcons74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:46 pm    Post subject: Update from "The Boy" Reply with quote

Hey guys, I'm actually KGKrzy's son. Nice to meet you all. Figured I'd come on and throw you guys another update as more and more parts come flying in. There's not a more beautiful sight than seeing a box on the porch coming home from school and seeing which toy has arrived. Here's a list of things we got going on since my Pop's last update.

1. Seats have been paid for and shipped, should be here within about 2 weeks at the latest.
2. Radiator has arrived, beautiful looking piece of machinery that should suit our needs perfectly.
3. Radiator fans and controller have been ordered. Controller arrived today (I'm sure my father can explain more on it) and fans are on their way I believe.
4. Seems we have finally found our engine. An EZ30R from Australia, final details being worked out at this moment basically, hope to have that bad boy on its way to the States by the end of the week.
5. Mounts have been ordered as well I believe from our lovely Kevin Zagar.
6. OH and ECU has been ordered as well! Link G4+ Xtreme with E-Throttle option, probably gonna buy the DisplayLink to go with it soon enough.

I'm sure there is stuff I'm forgetting and I'm sure my Pops can give you more info then I got but damn I can't wait for all this shit to arrive and get to real work. I'm done with my junior year of high school in under 2 weeks and I am ready to build. Hope ya'll are having a good day and I hope to be giving more and more updates as we move forward.

David Rosen
Soon to be HS Senior...hell yeah
KGKrzy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: Update from "The Boy" Reply with quote

SvFalcons74 wrote:
Hey guys, I'm actually KGKrzy's son. Nice to meet you all. Figured I'd come on and throw you guys another update as more and more parts come flying in. There's not a more beautiful sight than seeing a box on the porch coming home from school and seeing which toy has arrived. Here's a list of things we got going on since my Pop's last update.

1. Seats have been paid for and shipped, should be here within about 2 weeks at the latest.
2. Radiator has arrived, beautiful looking piece of machinery that should suit our needs perfectly.
3. Radiator fans and controller have been ordered. Controller arrived today (I'm sure my father can explain more on it) and fans are on their way I believe.
4. Seems we have finally found our engine. An EZ30R from Australia, final details being worked out at this moment basically, hope to have that bad boy on its way to the States by the end of the week.
5. Mounts have been ordered as well I believe from our lovely Kevin Zagar.
6. OH and ECU has been ordered as well! Link G4+ Xtreme with E-Throttle option, probably gonna buy the DisplayLink to go with it soon enough.

I'm sure there is stuff I'm forgetting and I'm sure my Pops can give you more info then I got but damn I can't wait for all this shit to arrive and get to real work. I'm done with my junior year of high school in under 2 weeks and I am ready to build. Hope ya'll are having a good day and I hope to be giving more and more updates as we move forward.

David Rosen
Soon to be HS Senior...hell yeah

Did you ever have one of those days where if it wasn't for bad luck, you'd have no luck at all? Welcome to my world today.

Yesterday, I sourced an EZ30R JDM motor on eBay that was already imported into the US and snapped it up. I was thrilled, since this motor was cheaper than my Aussie motor and would arrive more quickly. Today, I forked over the cash and felt really good doing so. I was still all smiles at the deal I was getting (good price on the engine, with a JDM 6 speed transaxle and ECU thrown in on the deal as bonuses) when I got a call from the vendor to tell me that their warehouse guys ran my engine into something while moving it with a forklift. The end result is the oil filter and oil cooler were pushed backward, which broke the mounting threads out of the aluminum. The engine's probably junk now, with a broken upper oil pan, which for those of you who know the EZ30, can't be replaced without going nearly all the way down to a short block.

I'm waiting for more pictures to determine how much damage was done. What I can say for certain that if repairable, it will require 8 to 10 hours of labor and about $700 in parts. The only possible saving grace is that I could possibly get an even better deal if I get a huge discount and fix it myself. If not, well, I think there's still a more expensive EZ30R in the "land down under" with my name on it.

www.krzykg.wordpress.com
KGKrzy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've now purchased my engine, transmission, mount kit, flywheel, clutch components and numerous other odds and ends, most of which will be delivered in the next week or so. With all of this soon to be in hand, and with my appointment to go get the Ghia that will be the platform of my build only a week away, its time to get serious about engineering all of the chassis details that will make my car unique. With that in mind, I took my angle grinder out and set to the task of “carving the pig”.

Some of my cuts are a little rough, but that’s of no consequence. I’ll take my time and be much more precise when it counts.

Specific goals for this part of the project are to develop and/or mock up the following:

• Mounts for the driver and passenger seats.
  • Mounts for a late-model Jetta steering column and wheel.
  • Ducting and mounts for the radiator, fans and other cooling system components.
  • Mounts and controls for the cabin heater, defroster and (yikes) possible A/C system.
  • Mounts for the relocated battery, new pedal assemblies (including a DBW throttle), new clutch and brake master cylinders.
  • Routing paths for brake & clutch lines, heater hoses, battery cables, etc.
  • Clearance for the engine and transaxle installations to develop a sheet-metal “cut plan”.
  • Flush mounting of the windshield and rear window glass.
  • Mounts for a set of late-model BMW trunk lid (i.e. engine cover) hinges.
  • Mounts for the ECU and related electronics.

Needless to say, we've got our work cut out for us. Keep an eye out for numerous posts detailing our efforts to address each of these challenges in the coming weeks.

..and now here's something we hope you'll really like...KGKrzy's KrzyKG
www.krzykg.wordpress.com
SvFalcons74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:44 am    Post subject: Today is the day Reply with quote

Today my Pops and I take the journey to get what will ultimately become our beast on the road. It's gonna be 3 hours of driving both ways so it's certainly gonna be a long one, 1st day of summer and i can't think of any better way to spend my time. We leave in about 15 minutes, hope to be back by around 6:30 or so. Hope ya'll are having a good one, enjoy your Friday's.
Northof49
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will confess my sins. I did this back in the 80's

Northof49
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The beginnings of the return to air cooled:

WooleyNelson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

was that a 2.3 L Ford? (Pinto or Mustang II) Smile

Northof49 wrote:
I will confess my sins. I did this back in the 80's

Northof49
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1971 2.0 Ford pinto

A very simple and reliable motor, but pretty heavy compared to a vw aircooled
SvFalcons74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 7:15 pm    Post subject: Parts For Sale Reply with quote

Hey guys! With our acquisition of a lot of parts for our car my Pops and I are ready to start selling off a chunk of our two cars and send some stuff off to others for their projects and all that good stuff. Be on the lookout in the Classifieds for ads being posted by me and feel free to send me a PM or e-mail if anything I post catches your eye. Just posted about 5 ads in these last 20 minutes. Completely open to offers on price as well. Hope you all have had a great weekend!

David Rosen
SvFalcons74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:55 am    Post subject: Stupid Sore Throat Reply with quote

Well it's 12:35 in the morning and I can't sleep because of this sore throat Brick wall So I thought I'd give you guys an update in the meantime while my Pops snores next door. Yeah that's definitely a cheap shot Wink
So what we've had going on in the last few days has been pretty exciting, still lots of stuff coming in and even more stuff being bought if you can believe that. So here's a list of whats been going down, and I know I'm forgetting some stuff.

1. Engine is here and is now on the stand. Problems with its condition are still being resolved with the seller, but that's another story...one I really can't repeat without washing my mouth out with soap. It's like a relationship with your girlfriend...But SOMEHOW even more complicated.
2. Our beautiful 5-Speed SubaruGears Trans has arrived, and it arrived in style neatly packed in a trash can!!! Pretty sweet and damn is she pretty. Just after we get it those Amazing Aussies announce they are working on a 6-Speed Reversed Ring & Pinion, damn! Oh well, maybe one day huh? Maybe once the turbo setup is ready to go wayyyyy down the road. Think
3. Welder is here and my pops has gone all out with it in a "Learn As I Go & Mistakes Will Be Made" way. So far torsion tube covers have been welded, old fuel door is gone as well with more to be welded in such as the horn and bumper holes.
4. ECU should be reaching our supplier soon in Santa Rosa, may be time to go fetch that soon.
5. Headlights have been ordered!!! Our car may not go the speed of light, but it will light up the road in style!
6. Clutch is still lost in space. Exedy is having supply issues or something at this point because NO supplier will have our desired clutch for another 2-3 weeks. Oh well, still plenty of stuff to be done in the meantime.
7. My selling of our old parts is ongoing, bringing happiness to my Pops wallet (Definitely needed) and to both of us to be able to help others complete their projects as we do ours. Not trying to bother ya but if there is anything you need, I got one 71 Coupe that everything is going, just ask and hopefully you can receive.
8. BIG NEWS...Suspension, it is soon to be on it's way. I'll let my Dad or our lovely Kevin Zagar break into the beautiful details but yes, heart of the beast is here, and soon its legs will be on there way as well.
Anddddddd...
9. My room is our new storage facility. I currently have all the seats, radiators, steering columns, seals, fans, and other stuff in my room. Makes for a real cozy atmosphere Razz

Well I believe that is all for now. Hope all of you have been having an awesome time with whatever it is going on in your lives be it business or pleasure. I'm going to force my Pops to update our build site tomorrow as well. Too many toys here to not be showing off you know? Wink Alright...Now it is time to try to sleep. Night all. See ya in the AM!

David Rosen
SvFalcons74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't she beautiful? The first ever 6-Inch wider T1 front to come out of Mendeola. Can't thank Mr. Zagar enough for all the amazing work he is doing. Can't wait to see the finished piece.
coolrydes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your very welcome, but please no more mr zagar. Kevin "CoolRydes Zagar, Kevin, or CoolRydes is fine......

COOLRYDES So-Cal CUSTOMS
MENDEOLA SUSPENSION
THE HOME OF STYLE AND PERFORMANCE
www.CoolRydescustoms.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SvFalcons74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coolrydes wrote:
Your very welcome, but please no more mr zagar. Kevin "CoolRydes Zagar, Kevin, or CoolRydes is fine......

Haha sorry my bad, guess I'm a little too formal at times. Embarassed
SvFalcons74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man it's been a long time...
Since the last time I have posted I have graduated high school and will be attending San Diego State University this upcoming fall. Hope all of you guys have been doing well in the meantime.
Since we last checked up not much has been done. Exciting news though is that just 2 days ago we officially got the transmission mounted in our Ghia. Clutch and pressure plate and everything else to come.
SvFalcons74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh and one more thing! I was able to finally find a buyer for the Subaru 6-Speed Transmission we had leftover from our engine purchase. Cool 2 grand back in the project's budget.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: