Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New Windshields?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
danielsan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, but you have your numbers inverted. It should be:

17" Late
17 1/4 Early.

When VW changed the seal and trim they had to reduce the size of the windshield so the new trim would not hit the glass. You want a 17 and 1/4 window -- I would call your local glass company and see if they can find a fw222 plinkington (PLK) window for you. When I called last year the local place had something like 10 in stock.

From the HoG catalog:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Do you see why the later, T-trim seal needed the shorter window?
spectre6000
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I called HOG, nothing. I called Pilkington, and straight from the horses mouth, they have sold five KG windshields ever, all late, the last one they sold was more than five years ago.

Typo on the early late glass measurements, you are correct. Editing now. The rear glass was correct, and is similarly larger for earlier vintages for the same reasons.

-'58 German Market Deluxe Beetle (in progress)
-'84 M1009 CUCV
-'81 K10
"Buy the best, cry once." -Gene Berg
"A cheap man will always buy the cheapest thing available, and then buys another one hoping for a better result, and then spends the rest of his life in misery complaining about it. A thrifty man will buy a good part once and never think about it again." -RockCrusher
"Don't feed the Shitty Parts Monster!" -Me
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danielsan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spectre6000 wrote:
I called HOG, nothing. I called Pilkington, and straight from the horses mouth, they have sold five KG windshields ever, all late, the last one they sold was more than five years ago.

Got that Smile -- I am suggesting (1) that there might be one in a warehouse somewhere. Also suggesting that (2) the number '5' is not an accurate number but, rather, a "we sold so few we decided to get out the business"statement and (3) when I called plinkington and them to open a spreadsheet for me (nice people btw) they read the size 17 1/4 to me and told me that it fit all years (and it would with the cal-look seal). Sometimes the manufacturers don't know what their part is supposed to fit into.

Because I am insane and because I want to see you get the right window I just called my local warehouse to check. They don't have any non-fyg in stock but they can order a PLK from washington state or a PPG from Salt Lake. Try finding out who your local glass shop buys the glass from and call that person. My local warehouse was happy to do a search in their exchange network when I gave them the ghia code.
mfitzsimor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are links to what may be WAY more information than you need!

http://www.farrout.org/ghiafaq/patterson.html#24

http://www.farrout.org/ghiafaq/patterson.html#25

Mark
86 quantum syncro
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since you re talking about windshields still. I wanted to put early C-trim on my 68. I ordered the c- style blocked rubber from HOG and obtained some nice chrome trim. Accidentally HOG sent me two front c trim seals by mistake. I couldnt test my plan because I had two front seals and no front window yet. After talking with them, they said my plan wouldnt work (Early on late). Im not 100% sure this is true but I was running short of time and wanted the car at The Classic so I ordered the T style blocked rubber and spent a boatload of time polishing out my alum trim. Install was pretty easy, even doing it by myself the night before the Classic. Front window is the FY with green tint, i like the look. I have gaps in a few spots because the window is too small. The gaps are between the rubber and window opening. I'll try to get a pic later. I also have gaps in the back...orig rear window, matching blocked t-trim rubber and alum. The gaps in back not as bad.
So,
1.has anyone used chrome trim in a late car and
2.anyone else have gaps using currently available KGPR blocked seals?
mfitzsimor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had gaps in the upper corners of the rear window opening when I installed the original rear glass and "T" trim with a HOG blocked seal.

I attributed the gaps to my NOT doing the best job of fitting the "T" trim to the window opening before the install.

I had leaks at both lower corners. I used "Flowable Silicon" from NAPA around the exterior of the seal to stop them.

mark
86 quantum syncro
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Difficult to get a decent pic w/ black top, black seal...

anthracitedub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was an article in a hot vw mag a few years ago.... They were showing an install on a 59 vert.... Clearly used Pilkington glass as it had the sticker on it with their part number. It perked my interest because I used to work for Pilkington for 10 years.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mfitzsimor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

C21Darrel,

My top corner rear window gaps are not as big as yours. The outer edge of the seal covers them, but barely. I manipulated the seal and the "T" trim to close them somewhat, but I suspect they were the cause of my leaks.

Had I not been able to stop the leaking, I planned to remove the rear glass, refit the trim, and try again.

Here are instructions on shaping the trim I copied from a posting to the KGCNA Email list:

"shape the Trim to the Windshield without the Seal. Now the Trim conforms to the shape of the Windshield.
After that is done, take the Trim halves to the Body. Re-shape the Trim to fit the Body, trying to work on the outside edge in compromise.
Pay special attention to the corners. If the Trim does not lay directly against the Body in the corners, shape the Trim so that it does. Hold the Trim on the palm of one hand, and with the heel of the other hand, wipe across the outer edge of the Trim with pressure until the shape is correct."

Mark
86 quantum syncro
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mark,I got the shim info from lonotch and I am going to re do the windows. I'll pay more attn to the trim being a factor in the fit. Im not too worried about leaking, i only drive this car for fun in good weather. Although no one else has noticed, I see it.
wideweegie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am 10 weeks and two gaskets, two sets of chrome (T trim) and two installation attempts by guardian auto glass who sent their field operations manager from Phoenix to Tucson a 90 mile one way trip to try and make a pilkington windshield fit my 73 convertible.

For the 2nd attempt they acquired a molded german gasket from KGPR and the t trim I believe. Two guys spent an hour in the Arizona heat just trying to get the gasket on the glass. They spent another hour pulling pushing and picking at the windshield and the gasket and still failed to make the corners fit without the gasket falling short and tucking into the windshield frame (hole).

They did manage to jack up my brand new paint job on both sides( L65k Ravenna green). They have now basically bailed on the job and don't want to proceed any further. I now have to find a paint shop to custom match the paint to touch up the damage, before I have another company install another windshield+ gasket + trim. The owner of Guardian auto glass llc (Jim Stouffer) has offered to pay for the paint repair and has withdrawn their claim against allstate for the cost so far. But what a nightmare experience.

Apparently Chris at HOG told Guardian that it wouldn't make a difference installing a PPG windshield, as they are made to the same spec's . But when I spoke to him he said they have never had a problem installing a PPg windshield which is supposedly made right here in the good ol' usa.

I'm at a sad and frustrated loss at this point, so any advice would be more than welcome.
otokoto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 5:16 pm    Post subject: FY windshield fom Airheads Reply with quote

a piece of advisory, DONT get the FY brand that Airheads is selling, waste of money and freight. FY windshield DOES NOT FIT AT ALL, my mistake was that I did not check the shipment of the windshield for fit until later on and found out that it is way off from the original, I wonder why they sell it even if they have tons of complaints with the FY glass.
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: FY windshield fom Airheads Reply with quote

otokoto wrote:
a piece of advisory, DONT get the FY brand that Airheads is selling, waste of money and freight. FY windshield DOES NOT FIT AT ALL, my mistake was that I did not check the shipment of the windshield for fit until later on and found out that it is way off from the original, I wonder why they sell it even if they have tons of complaints with the FY glass.

There are a number of posts/comments on forum re: FY windshields... the FY abbreviation stands true. It's why I chased down some Pilkington windshields...

bnc
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:58 pm    Post subject: Re: FY windshield fom Airheads Reply with quote

didget69 wrote:

There are a number of posts/comments on forum re: FY windshields... the FY abbreviation stands true. It's why I chased down some Pilkington windshields...

bnc

I think you'll find it's the Pilkington windshield "wideweegie" has been trying to fit.

I think your next step "wideweegie" is to find someone in Tucson who is experienced in fitting Ghia windshields.
Send a PM to:
"thruhiker74" http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=360969
"calexican" http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=148543
and "carguy4" http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=386204
...they will all have people they can recommend in the area.

"calexican" says that Stuttgart Autos has a good aircooled VW man: http://www.stuttgart-autohaus.com/ ...give them a call to see if they can help...Ghia experience is the key. Smile
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: FY windshield fom Airheads Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:
didget69 wrote:

bnc

I think you'll find it's the Pilkington windshield "wideweegie" has been trying to fit.

I've not been sober through this whole episode -

bnc
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: FY windshield fom Airheads Reply with quote

didget69 wrote:
John Moxon wrote:
didget69 wrote:

bnc

I've not been sober through this whole episode -

bnc

Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
thruhiker74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: FY windshield fom Airheads Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:
didget69 wrote:

bnc

I think your next step "wideweegie" is to find someone in Tucson who is experienced in fitting Ghia windshields.
Send a PM to:
"thruhiker74" http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=360969
"calexican" http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=148543
and "carguy4" http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=386204
...they will all have people they can recommend in the area.

"calexican" says that Stuttgart Autos has a good aircooled VW man: http://www.stuttgart-autohaus.com/ ...give them a call to see if they can help...Ghia experience is the key. Smile

I've dealt with Stuttgart in the past, but not with an ACVW (I had them service a '99 Jetta Wolfsburg). They were good and thorough but pricey. I wouldn't be surprised if they have someone who knows old VWs, and hopefully specifically Ghias.

The other two local places are Dan's VW and Chirco. Dan's does not have a website, but here's their info via CarTalk:

http://www.cartalk.com/az/tucson/123892/dans-vw-repair-and-service

You'd have to call and leave a message. Dan is likely gone for the summer (like all smart snowbirds), but someone there should be able to help out as needed.

And here's Chirco:

http://chircoestore.com/about-chirco

The only work I've had them do for me was to weld some anchor points for seatbelts in my '61 Coupe. I've been lucky so far and been able to do all the work on the car myself. Good luck!
jdoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've read this thread a few times, but I still don't know if there is a supplier for the 17 1/4" windshield for an early Ghia. Is there one? I need one for my '63. I have someone who can install it.
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've know of a supplier in Germany.
http://en.hoffmann-speedster.com/karmann-ghia/in-h...r?c=135993

You'd have to wear the freight cost.

Nicholas
FL-Frank
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: New Windshields? Reply with quote

Has anyone found a supplier in the US that can provide the 17.25” clear windshield?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: