Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How much for body work?
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MidWesty79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:02 pm    Post subject: How much for body work? Reply with quote

Ok, so, I own a welder. I'm not a horrific welder, but body work just is not my bag. I wish I had the skill, and maybe one day I will. But for now, I'm wondering if you knowledgeable folks on here could give me an estimate of what I should expect to pay for rust repair on my 79 Westfalia.

Unfortunately I don't have a recent pic to pop up here, I could possibly throw one up tomorrow if anyone is interested. But basically I'm looking at rocker replacements, rear quarters around the wheel arches. Some repairs on the bottoms of the doors (including the slider which has some holes starting,) rust around the windshield (not all the way through yet to my knowledge,) as well as various spots here and there around the bus. Most of the rust is concentrated to the bottom few inches of the body most of the way around (thanks midwest.)

I know this is probably hard to judge, but just thought if I could get a really rough gauge to start with. I am not looking for show quality, but I do NOT want it filled with bondo either. I want as much repalaced with steel as possible. I would buy any and all panels required. Looking for the labor costs.

Thanks gang!
abritinthebay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Based on that list... if you were in CA you'd be looking at a few grand at least.

I mean... I'd say $5k easy. It's the labor rate costs that'll kill you tho... so if you were here I'd say its that.

Somewhere cheaper? It'll scale down.
ateneo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with abritinthebay on the estimate.

If you want to save on labor cost, I would suggest that you find a very good auto-body restorer and hire him/her to teach you how to buttweld panels using a MIG welder. Just spend hours practicing on your technique and before long you will be able to confidently weld these panels like a pro.

Try it because you will be surprise on what you can do.
1971 Deluxe bus
1969 Bus
1962 Bug
1963 Bug
"Rust free" means Rust is FREE. The rest is junk.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: