Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

how to toe-in toe-out
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vwsb74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:34 pm    Post subject: how to toe-in toe-out Reply with quote

Hi, I lowered my irs suspension on my 1974 super beetle and I just want to know how to adjust the toe-in/out? I want at least close to zero. My spring plates have long holes for the bolts so I have good amount for adjusting. Thanks
2014 Honda odyssey
2180cc 48IDA clone
Xr310 cam =171hp@6k rpm sold so as the car😢
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
talljordan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:56 pm    Post subject: Re: how to toe-in toe-out Reply with quote

vwsb74 wrote:
Hi, I lowered my irs suspension on my 1974 super beetle and I just want to know how to adjust the toe-in/out? I want at least close to zero. My spring plates have long holes for the bolts so I have good amount for adjusting. Thanks

Toe is adjusted by lengthening or shortening your tie rods. They are adjustable.

Wanted: Male computer diagnostic plug end
vwsb74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:04 pm    Post subject: Re: how to toe-in toe-out Reply with quote

talljordan wrote:
vwsb74 wrote:

Toe is adjusted by lengthening or shortening your tie rods. They are adjustable.

Hello it's irs ! No tie rods at the rear Laughing
2014 Honda odyssey
2180cc 48IDA clone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
talljordan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:24 pm    Post subject: Re: how to toe-in toe-out Reply with quote

vwsb74 wrote:
talljordan wrote:
vwsb74 wrote:

Hello it's irs ! No tie rods at the rear Laughing

ANNNND Im an idiot. Thought you were talking bout the front suspension. Don't know what was going through my brain.

I think the rear might be non adjustable.

Wanted: Male computer diagnostic plug end
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:28 pm    Post subject: Re: how to toe-in toe-out Reply with quote

vwsb74 wrote:

It's been a while since I read the Bentley manual but the rears are supposed to be toed out, 1/8 inch I believe. Sliding the control arm in the slots can achieve the necessary toe out. The German engineers specified the toe out because the force pushing on the back wheels moves the suspension parts a little bit so the 1/8th inch toe out will result in close to zero when driving.
vwsb74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:16 am    Post subject: Re: how to toe-in toe-out Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
vwsb74 wrote:

It's been a while since I read the Bentley manual but the rears are supposed to be toed out, 1/8 inch I believe. Sliding the control arm in the slots can achieve the necessary toe out. The German engineers specified the toe out because the force pushing on the back wheels moves the suspension parts a little bit so the 1/8th inch toe out will result in close to zero when driving.

How to measure the toe out? I believe pushing the trailing arm to the front of the car will get more toe in and pulling back will get more toe out but the thing is I don't know how to measure ?Sad
2014 Honda odyssey
2180cc 48IDA clone
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A tape measure works great Wink
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/archive/index.php/o-t--t-579659--.html
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The classic definition is to Measure the distance between the rims on the back of the two back wheels, measure the distance between the front of the rims on the two back wheels, should be 1/8th inch more for the front of the rims.

My way. I don't have narrowed beams. My front wheels are the same distance apart as the rear wheels. So if the rear wheels are toed out if I were to site along the rear wheel it would site along just under half an inch outside the front wheels. You have to do the math. Something along the lines of 1/16 of an inch for 15 inches comes out to 4/10ths for the 94 inches between the front and back wheels. So lets say I am using a 2 X 2 as my straight edge, which is really a 1.5 x 1.5. That means I need to put something to sight to 1.5 + 4/10ths inches outside the front wheels. Be sure to measure everything from either the rim, or the tire where it does not bulge at the bottom. And again check the manual, I don't remember exactly how much toe out there should be, I did the math based on 1/8 inch toe out.
theKbStockpiler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have read in suspension books that it is possible to set toe by using a plumb-bob. You mark on the floor where the edge of the rim is and then measure from these marks.

Here's a samba thread that posts alignment specs.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=206764

It appears from that chart that the toe is neutral or just slightly toe in depending on the model.
dirtkeeper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used a tape measure. With fresh tires it's seems to be pretty accurate. I measure to the edge of the tire at the rear and at the front . Because of the suspension it's hard to get the front measurement at the middle of the tire, hub center, but pretty close.

When you are messing with this keep in mind there is also camber adjustment in the rear. As I remember pushing the rear of the hub up at the rear and pulling the mounting plate, hub, down at the front will give you positive camber. There is not much movement but it can make a difference.
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using a tape measure to check toe in/out can get you close enough, but you first have to check the runout of your wheels/tires. It's not unusual for runout to be more than 1/8".

Also, It will be difficult to measure the toe with a tape measure on a lowered car. Do an internet search for "home wheel alignment" and read up on the string method. Hot Rod did a nice long write up about it.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
rockerarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto on what Q-Dog stated. But consider this as a far fetched example and don't think it occurs much. The back end of the car will try and follow the front end. If the rear suspension is fukd up and has toe out on one side and lots of toe in on the other side. Sure you may have the toe you want, IE: 1/8 or whatever but the car is wanting to dog leg somewhat. Realistically, the car requires a 4-wheel alignment. The rear suspension is independent and has to be seen as this. The camber and toe are independent of the opposite side.
I'm sure there are ways to do a homemade 4-wheel alignment. The sports car or vintage folks have procedures on doing this to include at the race track! I believe the key here is locating the car and determining the chassis' center line. Once this has been determined the toe can be individually set. I believe with our air-cooled models, the seam on the trans case can be used to locate a car center. From there the rear toe for each side can be set.
The Bentley manual for the late type 1's covers this in Trans and Rear Axle chapter, section 12, Rear Wheel Alignment. Gene Berg covered wheel alignment for the do it yourselfer in his writings, but was drag race oriented, and shoptalkforums.com has a dedicated suspension section, which should help out.
One can google 4 wheel alignment or rear toe or something as such, but weed out the bs and look for the hardcore guys with homemade tools or tools to buy for the racers. Good eye candy.
Hope this helps, Bill.
goober
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's easier using true-running rims without tires measured at 9 and 3 o'clock. To the contrary, I like a slight amount of toe-in.

Once you have your desired amount of toe set, be sure you also have the center-line of your adjusted wheel-pair pointing down and parallel to, the center-line of the car/transaxle.
vwsb74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Off topic: I replace all my bushing in my irs I set the preload on the passenger side around 22-23 degrees (too lazy to get to 20degrees). The driver side set to 20 dregrees:) but how come the passenger side is more lower than the driver side around 1/4 inch? Not noticeable though? Any opinion ?
2014 Honda odyssey
2180cc 48IDA clone
wack01
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do find the centerline of the transmission is there another way? thanks
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: