Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Vanagon fire at gas station - Portland OR
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
Chugach
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

So, can you guys clarify whether this problem is particular to Syncros or all vanagons?

All Volkswagens Cool especially those with flat fours (without updated/modern fuel lines; and old neglected ac wiring)

Quote:
Pretty sure the fuel lines were replaced, but not sure if it was replaced with metal mesh or rubber hoses. Will be checking tomorrow!!

don't forget lines/connections between fuel rail and injectors
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

atomatom wrote:
any recommendations for a particular type of check valve on the return fuel line?

is it true that fuel in line won't drip because the pump has stopped?

It needs to be a spring loaded check valve so that it doesn't pressure in the reverse direction to close it.
atomatom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

something like this? http://www.ebay.com/itm/2xPCS-1-8-4mm-Inline-Check...1923204505
imdbui
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andrew A. Libby wrote:
IdahoDoug wrote:
Wow, that last series of pictures makes it clear that is was more than electrical.

Not necessarily... Here's a pic of a van that burned up because of an electrical fire in the driver's rear A/C wiring.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Truth! Fuel lines are important, but the nest of wiring behind the left D pillar is a fire waiting to happen. Especially during hot summers when you're blasting the A/C. I'd check them for melted or deformed relay/fuse holder.
david2676
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:03 am    Post subject: every time I see this ! Reply with quote

When I see these photos it makes me want to write in a fuel and power cut off. has anyone down this. Seems like it would be simple enough to wire in a switch that would cut fuel and power.

I guess the other issue is having a correct sized fire extigusher
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen many vans with melted AC wiring in the back corner

and melted Alternator to blackbox to starter harnesses.. which runs right over the 2 fuel lines..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

atomatom wrote:
something like this? http://www.ebay.com/itm/2xPCS-1-8-4mm-Inline-Check...1923204505

If the material can handle gasohol then it would be okay.

I found a 1/4" or 3/8" NPT brass spring loaded ball check valve and added fittings of the appropriate size to get it to work. Mine is mounted close to the tank and I have steel tubing between the engine bay and the valve. The transition between the rubber hose coming off of the FPR and the steel tubing is made as high as I could get it to further lessen any chance of gravity feed. I have steel tubing on both the supply and return side.

This isn't the one I have but is quite similar:

http://www.sustainablesupply.com/SMC-CHKBRS450-4F4...oCu7nw_wcB
BavarianWrench
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate seeing burned vans. My sympathies to the owner. A Syncro with the plastic fuel cell right above the back of the engine is a risky vehicle. I can only imagine trying to contain that fire once the fuel cell wall was compromised. The crew at the gas station were brave or ignorant. Getting burned is a horrible thing. Damaging your lungs fighting a fire is just as bad if not worse. I'm grateful nobody was injured. As Vanagon owners, it is your responsibility to make your vehicle safe. It protects you, people around you, the environment (could make one hell of forrest fire), and lastly your investment. Maintain your fuel systems, and purchase quality clamps that match your fuel lines! I have seen many a clamp improperly sized making it an oval instead of round. I have also seen cheap clamps overtightened cutting into, and compromising the hose. If you do not have experience with fuel lines or clamping rubber please feel free to reach out for some mentoring. I will help as will many on this forum. If you are doubtful, it is truly best to have somebody with experience show you, or check your work. Tightening clamps is a feel as well as visual task. I've been a professional tech and had a learning curve in my youth. Fortunately it was on coolant lines and caused no damage. Just a little coolant on the garage floor and the dog didn't lick it up. Lets Just have the event Burning Van and no more actual burning vans!
furrylittleotter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

syncrodoka wrote:
State farm is getting ready to sell off the shell
https://www.iaai.com/Vehicles/VehicleDetails.aspx?...ecent=True

I see membershit to to bid on a vehicle on that site is $200/Year. Is there any other way to bid on vehicles such as this one?

Has anyone ever seen a Subaru powered van Car-B-Q? I have not. Plenty of Bostigs, but no Subys.???

Neil2
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ride-Fly wrote:
So, can you guys clarify whether this problem is particular to Syncros or all vanagons? I recently had major work done on my 87 Westy. Pretty sure the fuel lines were replaced, but not sure if it was replaced with metal mesh or rubber hoses. Will be checking tomorrow!!

Glad no one was hurt.

As far as a visual inspection goes, keep in mind that the way the fuel line looks on the outside could just fool you into thinking all is well, while the line could be cracked on the inside.

Also there have been recent reports of folks having cracked/compromised fuel lines within a year or 2 of new replacement. Maybe that was a combination of poor quality hose combined with regional ( e85 ) combination, I don't remember.
But I saw the pics posted on here and it wasn't friendly looking....or at least that is what my memory is saying to me. If I'm worng about this then I'm sorry for spreading unnecessary widespread panic.

Probably best for anyone who isn't very knowledgeable and sure of their own situation to simply replace fuel lines every year or two around the engine bay, injectors, with an elimination of the plastic connector at the firewall too of course.
gonna see life my way

https://youtu.be/cSrL0BXsO40
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

atomatom wrote:

is it true that fuel in line won't drip because the pump has stopped?

Lets say that a fire gets started and you shut off the engine. If it burns long enough to compromise the line from the pump, well that line is pressurized and it's going to spray out that fuel. Then if the fire involves the electrical system I *think* the pump could be activated and feed fuel from the tank. I'm not an electrical wizard though, so I'd like to believe that wouldn't happen.
gonna see life my way

https://youtu.be/cSrL0BXsO40
jackbombay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DAV!D wrote:

2 years is on modern rubber lines with ethanol fuel is like 30 years with the original lines. The fuel we use today absolutely destroys the rubber hoses.

It is expensive, but what about replacing the entire system with Viton? Impervious to everything and its good to 600* F I think.

Gas struts to pop your top easily!

Pop Top strut kits now available for late Bay window Westies Smile

Samba ad here.

DIY artificial rain gutters (ARGs)
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the modern hoses work just fine on E-85

if you want to use the same feedstock as fuelie dragsters, you need to spend the money they do
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bavarian,

You are a prescient thinker! Look what greeted me in the local paper at breakfast today:

1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IdahoDoug wrote:
Bavarian,

You are a prescient thinker! Look what greeted me in the local paper at breakfast today:

[newspaper pic]

Someone's holiday ended on a sad note:

Crying or Very sad

Full story: http://www.cdapress.com/news/local_news/article_086ef7f5-fa19-5551-a312-a1105a52ad8c.html .
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so, is it legally Reckless to drive a Vanagon on the road in dry areas?
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

About 20 years ago, a couple in a large RV towing a vehicle drove across Idaho on the 90. The towed vehicle had the parking brake on or something and various motorists later reported honking and pointing rearward, but the driver did not acknowledge and pull over. It was smoking. Eventually, things began to overheat and shed burning rubber and sparks and still the guy drove on - oblivious to the now dozens of honking drivers. The police were called. Finally the towed car caught fire, or they stopped for gas or something - can't recall how they finally discovered it. But they started dozens of brush fires along the freeway and Idaho billed their insurance company in the million dollar range for the damage and the emergency responders spread out over a multi county area.

It sounds like the folks in this tan Westy will not have enormous liability, as they did not act negligently, etc. But it has been in the news this year with a lot of Western communities that everybody is on clear notice that no fireworks are allowed, and no campfires or burning of ANY kind until further notice. So with things on edge, dryness and heat at record levels, someone starting a fire under this condition will surely be prosecuted. Everyone is tense. I saw the county's mass disaster response vehicles staged out on a couple side roads yesterday on my jog. I have never seen them out before.

Everyone have a safe 4th of July. And change those fuel lines!!!

Doug
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

furrylittleotter wrote:
syncrodoka wrote:
State farm is getting ready to sell off the shell
https://www.iaai.com/Vehicles/VehicleDetails.aspx?...ecent=True

Has anyone ever seen a Subaru powered van Car-B-Q? I have not. Plenty of Bostigs, but no Subys.???
Neil2

What is it with you and Bostig/Zetecs? Show me any Bostigs that have burned.
The majority of van fires have been stock VW engines.
You live in California and the Bostig conversion is not legal there, are you just jealous? Is that why you are always bad mouthing Bostig?
I have had a Bostig conversion since 2009, it has given me thousands of carefree miles. Both the fuel and engine electrical systems are uprated with a Bostig conversion.
Of course with any conversion the installation needs to be done properly and here the Bostig shines by providing a very clear and well made layout.
Give it a rest. You are just spewing unfounded garbage.

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trailer cause fires are all to common. It is hard to realize that something odd is going on back under the trailer until sparks are flying. On I-84 to the east of us they get many trailer caused fires each year along the highway.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ride-Fly wrote:
So, can you guys clarify whether this problem is particular to Syncros or all vanagons?

1) I have heard the OPPOSITE. That the Vanagon fuel line problem is a 2WD problem and NOT a Syncro problem. This is the first Syncro I've seen burned, and didn't see anything identifying the cause. I have not evaluated every vanagon fire. My Syncro has never leaked gas and I'm happy for that.

2) I have heard that there will generally be a "warning" that your fuel vent hoses are leaking. In the form of gasoline fumes, or raw gas dripping from the fuel tank area when the tank is near full. Or driving on rough roads, or parked on a slope. In ideal conditions it could warn you before it gets ignited. I have heard of folks who were warned by the smell, or dripping, and did not have a fire. I have heard of folks who changed their fuel vent lines and it leaked again a few years later.

3) There is a plastic bulkhead fitting in the engine compartment on the forward bulkhead that is pretty dangerous (if old and brittle) because it's in the hi-pressure side. Heres a pic from GoWesty Fuel line kit.

Can't really put my finger on it but it kinda looks like trouble doesn't it? I guess it all depends how you look at it.

4) And the engine compartment hoses too.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb

Last edited by Sodo on Sat Jul 04, 2015 3:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

Jump to: