Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1958 Standard Sunroof Beetle Colour
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Martin Southwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 8:45 am    Post subject: 1958 Standard Sunroof Beetle Colour Reply with quote

Having looked at Samba's colour charts, there is nothing that covers 111 Standard models for Jan 1958, and certainly not a dark blue. I'v applied for the 'Birth Certificate' from VW, and am told that there is a 3+ month wait at the moment, and so hopefully the colour code will be on that when it arrives. Has anybody got any information on colours that might be of help please?

This car has to go back on the road soon, as I've had it sitting in my gagrage for nearly 35 years! I know the original owner is alive in Germany (aged 86) as I spoke to his son today (59) for the 1st time, who says that the car became his in the 1970's, having known the car since he was 3 in Jan 1958! He tells me he has the original tool kit in his Father's garage, and would I be interested in having it?!! It's a sunroof model as well, so quite a rare car.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sure hope it ends up being L335 Capri blue-it's gorgeous.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
*Darren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hitest wrote:
I sure hope it ends up being L335 Capri blue-it's gorgeous.

Nope, capri was a deluxe color.

Martin,

from the samba archives, paint & upholstery. See the very first row http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/paintcodestype1.php

It's L37 medium blue. Standards came in at least 2 colors beyond the split era - L225 Jupiter Grey & L37 medium (the ending date of 54 is not correct). So if your standard in fact was blue, it was medium blue. I like medium blue, as standards are more typically seen in gray.
Martin Southwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 9:06 am    Post subject: 1958 Standard Beetle Colour Reply with quote

Having looked at a car with L335 Capri Blue, it's not that. It's a dark blue.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Martin Southwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 9:17 am    Post subject: L37 - Possibly the correct colour Reply with quote

Thanks for that. L37 could be the correct colour, but I was put off this as a possibility, having seen a Split in what was said to be L37, but it didn't look the same. Then as you say the Samba info says just up to 1954, and Glasurit don't list L37 as a 1958 colour either, hence my asking here.

Having seen another picture of what is supposed to be L37, it looks more like it. The car is stored 25 miles from home, and so I can't just pop outside to have a look! Thanks.
*Darren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: L37 - Possibly the correct colour Reply with quote

Martin Southwell wrote:
Thanks for that. L37 could be the correct colour, but I was put off this as a possibility, having seen a Split in what was said to be L37, but it didn't look the same. Then as you say the Samba info says just up to 1954, and Glasurit don't list L37 as a 1958 colour either, hence my asking here.

Having seen another picture of what is supposed to be L37, it looks more like it. The car is stored 25 miles from home, and so I can't just pop outside to have a look! Thanks.

Martin,

That's one of the problems looking at photos, exposures/lighting can lead to drastically different appearances. Even in person, modern paint of the same code can be different due to a variety of reasons. Standards just aren't as well documented as the deluxe. L37 is really pretty dark in appearance, except with brilliant sunshine hitting it just right. I am NOT surprised Glasurit doesn't list it as a 58 due to it being for standards only. Below is a mid year 55 standard in L37 you can see the effect light has on the color & evidence that it was used past 54. Best thing to do, color match or have a small sample mixed to decide - but pretty certain L37 is correct. Good luck.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Martin Southwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 11:29 am    Post subject: That's the colour Reply with quote

Yes, that's the colour! I've got some pictures of the car in the Harz mountains in its youth (must learn to laod pictures on Samba) with the owners with their skis, and the colour is the same.

In those pictures, the blue almost looks black. I'm trying to fathom out what colour the bumper, over-riders and hub-caps should be. i seem to remember there being blue hub-caps on it at some stage.
*Darren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: That's the colour Reply with quote

Martin Southwell wrote:
Yes, that's the colour! I've got some pictures of the car in the Harz mountains in its youth (must learn to laod pictures on Samba) with the owners with their skis, and the colour is the same.

In those pictures, the blue almost looks black. I'm trying to fathom out what colour the bumper, over-riders and hub-caps should be. i seem to remember there being blue hub-caps on it at some stage.

There will be at some dissenting opinions, but from what I've seen IF the car was sold in Germany, blue, blue, & blue & I assume by over riders you mean the upright only portion. IF the car was sold outside Germany then the bumpers were a gunmetal metallic color (there is a later square referenced in this forum that mentions the formula for those bumpers) but again, IF it is a home market German car - L37 medium blue all around. Good luck.

[EDIT] let me add the following
58 forum discussion on a 66 euro standard. This is the thread that mentions the paint for the gun metal bumper color.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=336263

quote from an oval forum discussion mentioning the above discussion
AlteWagen wrote:
An ad had this info on a 66 standard

1966 Model 115 - VW Sedan Standard w/ Sunroof
European Delivery - Germany

What is a Standard?
The VW Beetle most Americans are familiar with is the Deluxe which was the model sold in the US. In Europe VW also offered a stripped down version of the Beetle called the Standard. It cost about 10% less than the Deluxe model.
Very few standards had sunroofs due to the added expense.

How Did a ’66 Standard Come (less) Equipped?

Ragtop instead of steel sunroof
1200 40hp “D” case engine
One speed wipers
Steering wheel lock
’65 Front Seat Frames
Early rubber floor mats
Early license light housing
Dimmer switch left on floor
Three spoke steering wheel
Fuel tank shutoff and reserve valve

Single horn grill
Smaller headliner
Short tunnel mats (2)
Painted Hub Caps
Painted Euro blade bumpers
Painted front turn signal housings
Painted door, hood, and decklid handles
Painted interior window winders/handles
Painted wind wing and window divider
Pebble grain panel / back of rear seat
Door panels without pockets

No radio
No dash trim
No fuel gauge
No side or hood trim
No running board trim
No luggage area carpet
No window rubber trim
No speedometer trim ring
No exterior lock on pass. side
No emergency blinker circuit
No dome light switches on doors
No cardboard wire cover under hood

KPH speedometer
Euro taillights
Euro Bumpers

Here is the thread on it

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=336263
Martin Southwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 2:04 pm    Post subject: More Info On 58 Standard Reply with quote

Thanks again for the above info. The car was indeed supplied new in Germany, where the 1st owner was Professor of Immunology at Heidelberg University http://www.biopro.de/magazin/thema/00179/index.html?lang=en&artikelid=/artikel/03202/index.html

In fact when speaking to the son today, he sounded like a true American, not German. Reason? They lived in New York for 5 year when he was young, where the father was doing work & research, and even all of these years on, he has kept the American sound & word usage. They kept the 58 at home in Germany for use when they went home on visits.

I still think it odd that somebody who will have been paid pretty well, actually bought a standard model new, but I'm sure that I was told years ago, that he went into the showroom, and it was sitting there, so he bought it. I recall that in those days there was quite a waiting list for the cars, but he didi upgrade the car by having the seats put onto conventional runners. I might change this back to wing nuts, but then I guess the runners are part of the car's history. We'll see. It's no great deal changing them back.

The son told me today that when his parents went skiing, which they seemed to do a lot, his father took great delight in running rings around his pals in their expensive Mercs in the snow, particularly as they frequently got stuck, and he rarely did. He told me of the times 4 people were standing on the back bumper to get even more traction. No wonder the bumper hangers had to be replaced!

Looking back on pictures of when I got the car in 1980, the bumpers & over-riders (yes, the vertical things on the bumpers) are painted blue, and as I said previously, I recall seeing one blue hub-cap on the car, and so what you say sounds right. Blue they will be! I sent them to be powder coated black in the week, and when I came across the old photo's again, which put doubts in my mind, I asked him to put things on hold! Just as well it seems, even though I have quite a number of these NOS standard items collected over the years when nobody really wanted them.

I recall that when using the car for a while in 1980, I was amazed at how noisy the car car was to travel in, especially the non synchro box. Now i'll be proud to hear it again!
panicman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a truly great color.
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

panicman wrote:
That is a truly great color.

X2- very nice. I had no idea about the standard colors- learn something new every day here!

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
Martin Southwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 1:08 pm    Post subject: L37 it is! Reply with quote

Just to let people know that having eventually got the Birth Certificate from VW, the colour of the 58 Standard, as suggested above, is indeed L37-Medium Blue, although the colour doesn't seem to be listed anywhere past 1955.

I'm trying to find the colour of the paint on the gear lever (A beige of sorts) which isn't so easy when you cars colour isn't even listed!
*Darren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: L37 it is! Reply with quote

Martin Southwell wrote:
Just to let people know that having eventually got the Birth Certificate from VW, the colour of the 58 Standard, as suggested above, is indeed L37-Medium Blue, although the colour doesn't seem to be listed anywhere past 1955.

I'm trying to find the colour of the paint on the gear lever (A beige of sorts) which isn't so easy when you cars colour isn't even listed!

Martin,

Before I make any suggestions, is this shifter similar to the color you are looking for? This is taken from the oval gallery, you might want to look through that section as I'm pretty certain there were no changes made for a 58 standard and there are several different original European standards in the gallery (just search "standard" you'll get some Canadian customs as well). Note the Waso shift lock.
Martin Southwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:57 am    Post subject: Gear Stick Colour Reply with quote

Hi. Yes, the colour, from what little I can see, looks the same. I'll do as you suggest, and have a look in the Standard 'Gallery'.

I bought a new steering column bush bearing to fit on the car (West Coast Metric) and having taken the old one out yesterday, it seems the replacement (For a De Luxe no doubt) is too big for the 3 spoke wheel, so needs turning down. The ID and OD are fine, just the depth too long! Is nothing simple?!!
*Darren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Martin,

As we've previously noted, standards just aren't as well documented. Looking at the various gear shifts, if it is available to you, you might try Krylon Almond rattle can & spray a sample to compare. It is what many use for gearshifts on export ovals and the standards do NOT look different to my eye. Krylon looks about right to me eyeballing it to the photo I posted. There might be a couple of other options if you either can't find it, or find it to not be a sufficiently close enough match.

As to your bush bearing problem, I wonder if its because its for a deluxe and you have a standard and the standard uses an older bush bearing? I'm just guessing on that.
Martin Southwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:56 am    Post subject: Fuel Tank Colour Reply with quote

I'm looking for what would be the original colour for the fuel tank on this January 58 Standard, and can see that it is some sort of grey. Looking at previous threads on Samba on the subject from 8 years ago, it would seem L29, Blue Grey would be the colour. Any views from anyone?

The other problem I have with the fuel tank, which has been sand blasted externally, and attempted internally, is with the sticky residue that has been left behind in most of the tank, from having been standing for 34 years (there was some fluid left behind, and what a strong smell!) which now has sand embedded in it as well. Any ideas as to how this can be removed? Steamed?

Where the two halves of the tank meet, the two halves are seam welded together all of the way around, but with sitting around, the metal to the outside of the seam was starting to rust, and the two metal 'lips' were starting to move apart. Where this has happened, I've cleaned everything up within the cracks, and spot welded the metal lips back toether.

However, if the inside of the tank can't be made serviceable, then all a waste of time!
Martin Southwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 1:46 am    Post subject: L37 Paint Mix Formula Reply with quote

I'm back to pick people's knowledge on paintwork, as i'm about to start having things painted. Having established that the colour I need as being L37, which, although on a 1958 Standard, is basically an earlier colour.

Last year I spoke to the Glasurit paint people in Bristol, and they confirmed that it was still on Glasurit's paint mix chart then, and so I thought I would get back to them when ready to paint. However, i'm now told by others in the paint game, that Glasurit no longer do 2 Pack (2K) paint, presumably only water based?

Is anybody aware of any other of the larger paint companies, or their subsidiaries, who might have the 2K formula for L37, as I want to paint the car in 2K. Any help gratefully received.
Martin Southwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've now got some matching, German, solid colour, 2 pack paint for the car, which they still had on their system, and is a current colour again, as Rolls Royce used it in 2012 for one of their models. VW owns Rolls Royce! I'll look on the tin for the brand later. Glasurit don't do this type of paint any longer.

My next quest is for the colour used on the wheels. The picture I have from 1960 shows a cream type of colour on the inner part (disc) of the wheel, and the L37 on the outer. Does anybody know what colour this cream/white is supposed to be please?

Progress is coming along, with the chassis almost done. There is a very long story behind getting to this stage. I'll look later at how to load photos, as the quality & finish is worth looking at.
Martin Southwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just looked at the 2 pack paint tin, and it says PPG - Deltron, so always worth trying them for an old VW colour: http://us.ppgrefinish.com/PPG-Refinish/Products/Automotive-Refinish/Deltron

Still none the wiser on the cream wheel colours. I can't see anything of great help on Samba either.
*Darren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps L87 - Pearl White? Used from about 1958 OR perhaps L81 parchment (not sure when it was used to). Problem is with inners, not at all well documented and even less so with standards as earlier standards were solid matching body color. I'd question if yours were two tone, but you have evidence.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: