Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Vintage dune buggy motor build not a lot of money all done
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 7:38 am    Post subject: Vintage dune buggy motor build not a lot of money all done Reply with quote

I wanted to see if I could build a vintage looking street dune buggy motor .and not spend a lot of money building the motor . it took me 90 days to find all the parts at swap meets and some parts on the samba .and some parts from friends . with new parts costing a lot of money now a days its hard to build a motor with out spending over $3,500 on a build .. I wanted a street friendly motor not a race motor. that had lots of bottom end power that would pull hills in 4th gear . at a swap meet I found a short block 1968 auto stick motor .I like finding auto stick motors because they don't have the hell run out of them . I bought the short block for $30.00 I waited to the end of the swap meet to get the best deal on the case .I got a lot of good parts off of the short block . the crank was std. std. the rods were like new. I did not have to rebuild them. to glass bead the crank and rods and polish the crank .would cost $35.00 .I bought two new sets of std .std.main bearings at a swap meet for $45.00. these had the steel backed split bearings .I don't like using the split bearings that are not steel backed . I also found new rod bearing for $10.00 and a set of race cam bearings for $15.00. I bought a race spacer for $5.00. I don't like using a stock spacer over time they open up and become lose on the crank . at a swap meet I bought a stock fly wheel for $10.00 it was in super cond. from a friend a bought a used clutch and a like new clutch disk for $25.00. I installed 8 dolls on the crank the cost is $30.00.i bought a new CB glad nut for $20.00. the cam crank gear and brass gear came with the crank . I bought a vintage deano cam with lifters and deano cam gear for $50.00 free shipped to me ,off of samba the cam and lifters are like new . great saveings the cam is a deano 136 284 duration 415 lift. its like a engle 110 cam . when jack engle was a live. he told me his dad ground all the dds cams and when dds went under they used the dds grinds for there engle vw cams .the total cost of the parts above is $275.00 a good start on saving money. more to come going to see the fire works happy 4th every one spencerfvee[im[img] I am back I for got to add the case. I found a dual relief case from a friend that was std. on the mains great looking case for ohio .he had it for years . I bought it for $200.00. and a six pack of beer helped to lower the cost of the case lol. to save money. I bought two cans of degreaser and off to the car wash .cost to clean the case $6.50 and $2.50 total $9.00 to clean the case . I use two sets of steel backed bearings . so I had to drill a doll pin hole in the other half of the case .I used a old split bearing as a guid for the drill bit .worked great. I feal the xtra steel backed bearing helps keep the crank in line works for me. some people use them some people don't use them on there builds. I also used two jb welds to fill in in back of number 3 cyl. because I opend the case up for 94s .I did not hole through the case I feal the JBweld will make it stronger .cost $12.25. bored case out for 94s cost $40.00. I also used black wrinkle paint on the case to give it that vintage look cost $9.50 I then installed new stock oil pressure plungers and springs . cost $10.00.I also put in longer studs with nuts to hold the deep sump on .I know at one time every one has pulled a stud out when changing oil .I then installed a vintage small car deep sump . I got on samba for $40.00 free shipping . I bought a oil screen and new stock cover $11.50 .I bought a used oil cooler off of a friend for $10.00 . I found a new used bocar fuel pump at a swap meet for $8.00.the guy put it on his motor drove it for two days took a rod out ..on samba I bought a vintage truhaft dizy witch is a Mallory for $35.00 free shipping I cleaned it up reset it for 12 degs intl all in by 3,200 rpms .tested it on my vee motor works great thanks resto johnny .bought a rear seal and german gasket set for $20.00 . new alt stand $15.00 at a swap meet I bought a vintage EMPI oil pump with filter for $25.00 off of a friend who was selling on samba .also I bought a new oil filter for $8.75 a Santana full size stock pulley for $45.00 shipped to me .its very hard to find a stock size Santana pulley .next I bought a set of A&A 94s for $170.00 I painted them flat black I hate to see a show motor with rusty cyls lol I then bought a new set of mafoco 040 heads because they were only $375.00 stock valve heads are very street friendly I cut the heads for dual springs cost $35.00 I then traded in the stock valves and springs and retainers for S&S valves and dual spring and retainers cost $20.00. they flow better than stock steal valves. I like roys heads because they flow good right out of the box they weigh about 10lbs each they cool better and they have more meat in the cyl.head when you cut them for 94s . I did a mild port clean up and port matched the intake manifolds to the heads. I left the exhaust ports alone because this is a mild street motor . I then fly cut the heads for 94s I cut them deep enough to take the step out of them cost $40.00 I bought S&S push rod tubes because they look good and don't rust $35.00. I for got to add new case nuts $10.00 total now is $ 1,449.00 that it for now Monday I will get more done on the motor thanks for looking take care every one don't have to much fun today lol spencerfvee
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
g]
[im
g][/img][im
g][/img][i
mg][/im
g][im
g][/img][i
mg][/img][im
g][/img]

Last edited by spencerfvee on Tue Jul 14, 2015 4:07 pm; edited 11 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Popcorn

mark tucker wrote:
I wouldent waste $ or thyme on building a small motor. build it big so it dosent have to work hard.remember it's only as fast as your foot alows it to be unless you build a small turd then it just stinks as it squishes up through your toes when you step on it.
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's funny good one. but it would be no fun. I would not get to build it .and it would be like every one elses on the road. have a other beer on me lol spencerfvee
SBD wrote:
Popcorn
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raymon covey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go for it Spencer!!!! I like your style!!!!!!
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never seen a filter pump that hangs the filter off the 1-2 side. Can you tell me some more about that?
SBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spencerfvee wrote:
that's funny good one. but it would be no fun. I would not get to build it .and it would be like every one elses on the road. have a other beer on me lol spencerfvee
SBD wrote:
Popcorn
I'm not sure how you took this spencervee, but I was just using it to show that I had subscribed to the topic. Like the above poster, I like your style! Cool

Did you buy that oil pump here in the classifieds? I remember seeing one like that...

mark tucker wrote:
I wouldent waste $ or thyme on building a small motor. build it big so it dosent have to work hard.remember it's only as fast as your foot alows it to be unless you build a small turd then it just stinks as it squishes up through your toes when you step on it.
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the oil pumps were sold in the late 1960s and 1970s by EMPI you can find them on samba most of the time from $50.00 to crazy $175.00 I like to use them because they don't restrick the oil flow to the main galley . like a lot of the new pumps do now a days spencerfvee ps here is a photo of the oil pump as you can see it has a big return hole to the main bearings it is a well made oil pump I have used them for years this pump is my spare spencerfvee
esde wrote:
I have never seen a filter pump that hangs the filter off the 1-2 side. Can you tell me some more about that?
[im
g][/img]

Last edited by spencerfvee on Sat Jul 04, 2015 4:44 pm; edited 2 times in total
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took it ok. I liked it I thought it was funny when I read it .I can take a joke lol Iwas just jokeing around back to you lol spencerfvee
SBD wrote:
spencerfvee wrote:
SBD wrote:
Popcorn
I'm not sure how you took this spencervee, but I was just using it to show that I had subscribed to the topic. Like the above poster, I like your style! Cool

Did you buy that oil pump here in the classifieds? I remember seeing one like that...
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:43 pm    Post subject: part two vintage motor build Reply with quote

hi this is part two of vintage buggie motor build last time we were at $1,449.00. I just picked up a cool breather on the samba for $25.00 $10.00 shipping it looks to be a early CB breather . next I sold a set of dual zenith carbs to a guy a while back .he called me and told me he was moving out of town. and got out of vws he sold me the dual carbs back for less money than I sold them to him for . I got them back for $250.00 what a deal I payed what he wanted for the carbs in a heart beat total now is $1,734.00 more to come soon spencerfvee [im
g][/im
g]g][im
g][/img][i
mg][/img][im
g][/im
g]

Last edited by spencerfvee on Tue Jul 07, 2015 7:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: part two vintage motor build Reply with quote

spencerfvee wrote:
hi this is part two of vintage buggie motor build last time we were at $1,449.00. I just picked up a cool breather on the samba for $25.00 $10.00 shipping it looks to be a early CB breather . next I sold a set of dual zenith carbs to a guy a while back .he called me and told me he was moving out of town. and got out of vws he sold me the dual carbs back for less money than I sold them to him for . I got them back for $250.00 what a deal I payed what he wanted for the carbs in a heart beat total now is $1,734.00 more to come soon spencerfvee hi more parts a super nice set of early lang valve covers belive it or not for only $40.00 free shipping on the samba a old school breather box $60.00 free shipping a generator like new bosch with fan for only $10.00 at a swap meet and I got a voltage reg. like new bosch for $3.00 new pulley $8.00 pulley nut $5.00 new backing plate $10.00 dip stick free from a friend new total $1,855.00. [im
g][/im
g]g][im
g][/img][i
mg][/img][im
g][/img]
[im
g][/im
g]g]g]
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: part two vintage motor build Reply with quote

spencerfvee wrote:
spencerfvee wrote:
hi this is part two of vintage buggie motor build last time we were at $1,449.00. I just picked up a cool breather on the samba for $25.00 $10.00 shipping it looks to be a early CB breather . next I sold a set of dual zenith carbs to a guy a while back .he called me and told me he was moving out of town. and got out of vws he sold me the dual carbs back for less money than I sold them to him for . I got them back for $250.00 what a deal I payed what he wanted for the carbs in a heart beat total now is $1,734.00 more to come soon spencerfvee hi more parts a super nice set of early lang valve covers belive it or not for only $40.00 free shipping on the samba a old school breather box $60.00 free shipping a generator like new bosch with fan for only $10.00 at a swap meet and I got a voltage reg. like new bosch for $3.00 new pulley $8.00 pulley nut $5.00 new backing plate $10.00 dip stick free from a friend new total $1,855.00. [im
g][/im
g]g][im
g][/img][i
mg][/img][im
g][/img]
[im
g][/im
g]g]g]
[im
g][/img]
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: part two vintage motor build Reply with quote

spencerfvee wrote:
spencerfvee wrote:
g][/im
g]g][im
g][/img][i
mg][/img][im
g][/img]
[im
g][/im
g]g]g]
[i
mg][/img]
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 7:20 pm    Post subject: breather box Reply with quote

hi breather box for the buggie build and generator and reg. more to come spencerfvee I got the fan housing on and the gen.on I bought a after market cover for the gen. it was $5.00 I bought a backing plate kit for the gen. it was $10.00 I installed the zenith carbs on the motor . the motor is starting to come together yes the motors in my living room . its art work lol new total is $1,880.00 spencerfvee [im
g][/img][i
mg][/img][im
g][/img][im
g][/img]

Last edited by spencerfvee on Wed Jul 08, 2015 5:05 pm; edited 2 times in total
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wrinkle paint looks great!
I didn't know about those oil pumps. Never seen one here but it actually looks like a good unit!
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

modok these oil pumps were made in the 1960s and 70s the best thing about them is they don't restick the oil going into the main oil galley .there well made and work great .thanks for the complement on the case take care spencerfvee
modok wrote:
I didn't know about those oil pumps. Never seen one here but it actually looks like a good unit!
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi guys I just got back from one of the best swap meets .I every have been to ..i found a lot of parts today .here is some of them. I found two Mallory dizys.. a vintage set of headers for the motor for $20.00 and I know its not a part. but this 1960s hurst shifter shop clock is so cool. I have never sen one every one at the show could not belive that I found it all can say it was not cheap oh well I just wont eat the rest of july lol I am sun burned tired but happy spencerfvee[quote="spencerfvee"]ird dance lol spencerfvee
spencerfvee wrote:
modok these oil pumps were made in the 1960s and 70s the best thing about them is they don't restick the oil going into the main oil galley .there well made and work great .thanks for the complement on the case take care spencerfvee
modok wrote:
[im
g][/img][im
g][/img]
drumbum68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should have left those duals where you found them.

Chrome tin? Rolling Eyes
philthy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chrome tin won't hurt a thing so long as it fits well. I'm curious as to how that wrinkle black (my favorite coating) will affect oil temps. I'm assuming not much as the case isn't a true cooling apparatus (oil cooler is).
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I take it you have never run a set of dual zienth carbs befor they run real smoth on the street and make a great street carbs . .now if you would have said leave a set of holley bug spray dual carbs where I found them .I would agree with you .as for the chrome tin its a show motor .spencerfvee
drumbum68 wrote:
Should have left those duals where you found them.

Chrome tin? Rolling Eyes
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say the chrome tin would make heat .but its a show motor that's going in my friends dune buggy and will spend most of its life on the drag strip when hes done testing it for me its going into my formula vee show race car .as for the wrinkle paint I don't know for sure if it helps cooling its been used for years on all kinds of motors .like I said above its a show motor spencerfvee
philthy wrote:
Chrome tin won't hurt a thing so long as it fits well. I'm curious as to how that wrinkle black (my favorite coating) will affect oil temps. I'm assuming not much as the case isn't a true cooling apparatus (oil cooler is).
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: