Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

oil leak
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
stevampire
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 3:36 pm    Post subject: oil leak Reply with quote

i have an oil leak that appears to be from my oil cooler. i have replaced the cooler and the seals but it is still leaking. i just rebuilt the motor but cant run it since it spits all my oil out in a matter of minutes. can someone please help me figure out what my problem is and how to fix it? i think i am missing the plate under the cooler, could that be my problem? would it be wrong seals? i tried two different seals. did i possibly over tighten the bolts or not tighten them enough?

also, this oil cooler doesnt have the foam. i read somewhere that it is to direct more of the air through the cooler. do i need to put something up there to re-direct the air or is it fine without it?

i would really appreciate and love quick responses, i've been waiting waaay to long to drive my square. thanks in advanced.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
K1mech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 12:07 am    Post subject: oil leak Reply with quote

I had the same problem with an oil leak under the oil cooler, there are some types of oil coolers that do not require the use of spacers where the bolts go through, check and see if the oil cooler has a raised boss about equal to the edge of the rolled lip on the oil cooler, if it does then you probably do not need the spacers.
4everflat4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too much oil pressure maybe? Did you remove the oil pressure plunger and spring and clean the oil galleys before rebuilding the engine? There could be a bunch of gunk blocking the oil galleys and causing your oil pressure to be way too high...that can blow out an oil cooler really quick.

Kevin
Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are 3 different possible oil cooler seals that you should be using.
Depending on the cooler/case combination you have.
VW used 2 different size cooler oil passages.
There are the early, with the 8mm passage.
There are the later, with the 10mm passages.
Depending on what case you have, and what cooler you have, what set of seals you use. The gasket set only comes with 2 of the 3 possible seals. The 3rd set, you have to buy seperately.
We need to know which case and cooler combo you have.
IIRC, air_cooled_nut has a how-to someplace on his web site for the info you need.
Also, check the archives at vwtype3.org as Jim Adney wrote up a how-to on this.

Gary: OK. Ima poop.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
stevampire
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have a later model case and cooler. i tried two different 10mm seals today. one was thicker one was thinner. both still blew oil. im goin crazy here.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are sure you have a late cooler, and late case, (10mm holes in bothe) then you use the large thin seals in the gasket set. And you use NO washers between the case and the cooler.

Gary: OK. Ima poop.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bent_karma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 1:10 pm    Post subject: same issue Reply with quote

hi guys hopefully someone is online so they can help me out I recently rebuilt my engine and when I first started it oil started coming out same as the first post described it I took some pictures of how I had it set up and I'm just wondering which oil seal to use and if I have a late oil cooler Thanks
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'07 Mazda3 Hatchback GT [the Mazda]
'06 Nissan Sentra 1.8 S (gone at the moment) sold
'18 Subaru Forester 2.5i [Sue Bee]

"Water is for drinking"
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like you have both a late case, and a late cooler. But, it would have been better to see the case without the seals you used. Wink Those seals also look like the thick ones too. See if you can find the thinner set (in the gasket kit), and then remove the spacers and install the cooler again.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: same issue Reply with quote

bent_karma wrote:

That is one surprised looking oil cooler!

blues90
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: same issue Reply with quote

bent_karma wrote:
hi guys hopefully someone is online so they can help me out I recently rebuilt my engine and when I first started it oil started coming out same as the first post described it I took some pictures of how I had it set up and I'm just wondering which oil seal to use and if I have a late oil cooler Thanks

Last time I rebuilt my engine I have the later case and cooler I used the thick red seals and the spacers like in the Bentley and it didn't leak . I also used the same spacers and seals when I removed the tin off the original engine because I wanted to clean the tin and block off .

I can't say if things have changed since 1985 original engine or 1997 the one I rebuilt using a good 1972 case . The only reference in the Bentley to different seals were the green ones used without spacers if you were using an old cooler on a late case or a new cooler on an early case.

If I recall I used the same thickness seals I removed from each engine . The thicker ones even compressed are thicker than the mentioned thinner red seals . I don't recall them being in the kit I got could be wrong .

This is one seal that was still on my old engine on the left and a new seal I still had on the right . I used the spacers and the new seal on the edge was 3.5mm thick the old seal was 2mm after being used . they are both late seals .

Here is a shot of the edge to compare.

The seals I show here look thinner than yours and if I did not used the spacer washers they would be really compressed as they are they never leaked.
bent_karma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 3:27 pm    Post subject: New oil leak coming from head Reply with quote

Hey thanks a lot about the oil cooler question I had that issue is fixed. Now I have this other little problem on the driver side head. I was reading this thread
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=567493&highlight=head+oil+leak
This is causing a lot of oil spillage and the owner of my household is not appreciating it. Here's a video.https://goo.gl/photos/nyWiPXBvCA9YcovG9

"Water is for drinking"
bent_karma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently found out that if oil is coming out of the valve covers it might be that the covers are bent or gaskets are no good? I'm using the plastic cork looking onea. Anyone had any issues with those?

"Water is for drinking"
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bent_karma wrote:
I recently found out that if oil is coming out of the valve covers it might be that the covers are bent or gaskets are no good? I'm using the plastic cork looking onea. Anyone had any issues with those?

I normally use the cork gaskets myself. But, it's possible that you "sucked in" a gasket causing the leak. This is where glueing the gasket to the cover is important (especially these days with a lack of quality Rolling Eyes ).
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
W1K1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

are the bales tight when you clip them on?
do you seal the gaskets to the valve cover?
is there an impression in the gasket from where the gasket has been sitting against the head?

I change gaskets every 3-4 years and do a couple valve adjustments a year with the cork/rubber gaskets. I use loctite 518 to stick the gaskets to the valve cover, no leaks.

1973 super
1965 squareback 1500E
1971 bay window westy- subi swap
bent_karma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks bobnotch and w1k1 yes I did glue the gasket with side cover using the Permatex that I used to gluv case together you may possibly valve covers are worn or dented maybe putting Loctite instead of Permatex I usually take out the valve cover clips using a rag and just pull down I'll take a pic of the covers today.

"Water is for drinking"
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: