Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Vermont registration/title & alternatives, if any?
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
peterxxl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:28 am    Post subject: Vermont registration/title & alternatives, if any? Reply with quote

I am trying to figure out fastest and cheapest way to get the title for my bus so I can travel abroad with it.

I am not U.S. citizen so maybe I don't understand the process/laws completely - please correct me if something is wrong
I am located in Philadelphia, PA at the moment. Bus is drivable.

UZI (Gibbs) and others recommended this Vermont to Pennsylvania way.
If I get it, it goes like this:
1 - register the bus in Vermont by mail - no title needed for old cars - pay quite a steep tax based on the value from some appraisal catalog
2 - transfer registration to PA (out-of-state) and get new title from PA

Step one should take about 2 weeks if it doesn't get rejected.
Step two I don't know how long it takes.

Problems for me with this scenario:
Time - I only have about 15 days left, doing it by mail take about 2 weeks
Residence - I read on PA DMV that they require PA ID for out-of-state registration/title transfers - that's a no go for me
Money - Vermont charges steep tax for their registration

IDEA: doing the Vermont registration on the ground:
- someone mentioned on this forum, that if I go to Vermont myself and get the bus appraised by dealer on the ground, I can use this as evidence for the tax calculation. I am assuming dealer is not gonna appraise the bus anywhere near $10000 which seems to be the value Vermont is using in mailed in applications
- I am in Philly, so Vermont is not too far from here
- things might be faster to do in person than mailing in - correct me if my thinking is wrong
- mail-in application requires a check - I can only pay with credit card or cash

Which state to transfer the registration to without being a resident and get a new title?
- PA requires PA issued ID
- I only have valid passport and I have U.S. SSN from years back when I worked on a summer camp on Work&Holiday visas - I don't have U.S. drivers license from any state unfortunately
- is there a state with lenient laws near the East Coast for out-of-the state registration transfers?

Any other way to produce a valid title under my name in reasonable time and cost for a bus which doesn't have any paperwork and last registration was probably decades ago?

Thanks for your input

* 1961 Panel - my 1st VW - bought near Mexico City - traded for:
* 1959 Kombi - stored in Philly for now

Read my story here:
* Part 1 - Mexico City to Philadelphia
* Part 2 - Philadelphia to Europe - in progress
peterxxl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This just occurred to me: do I even need a title for international shipping if my bus is registered in non-title state like Vermont? Tomorrow is Monday and I will try to call up some shipping companies to ask about this, but I just wanted to ask if someone has experience with this.

Somehow I always thought you always need a title. But in that case what would non-title state's people do in case they wanted to travel to Europe?

* 1961 Panel - my 1st VW - bought near Mexico City - traded for:
* 1959 Kombi - stored in Philly for now

Read my story here:
* Part 1 - Mexico City to Philadelphia
* Part 2 - Philadelphia to Europe - in progress
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: