Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

58' horn wire in steering column
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
iamdonquixote
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 6:46 am    Post subject: 58' horn wire in steering column Reply with quote

Just to confirm:

1) I turn the key on and I have 6v at the connection of the brush on the steering column.

2) I remove the horn button and I have 6v at the column. There is a black wire coming through the column.

3) Now, the black wire is supposed to be connected to ground right? If I touch the black wire to the column it doesn't sound the horn. My multimeter shows the black wire is not connected to ground.

4) It seems that there is a ground strap at the steering box , is that what I should check next?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This may help.,

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=602404

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
iamdonquixote
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That thread indicates that the current flows through the black wire. Which, in my case means the paper in the collar is missing or something and that is transferring current through the shaft?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the brush column the wire UP the shaft is voltage UNTIL the horn contact is closed.

For pre 60 and Standard, tThe column tube merely insulates the shaft from ground. It has no direct relationship to the horn circuit unless the insualtion is breached.

At rest (non use) there is NO current flow and voltage/polarity is separated by the horn switch.

At rest.. It should have voltage... at the brush.. voltage at the wire which travels UP the shaft and ends at the horn contact.

The steering shaft should be grounded by way of a jumper around the steering coupler.

If you jumper the shaft wire (from the brush ring) to the main steering shaft the horn should sound as the path of current is completed, same as when the horn is pressed it completes the path of current flow.

Try to jumper the ground DIRECTLY at the horn itself.. If it sounds the problem lies in the circuits.
Test accordingly.
Its a very simple circuit.

You should be able to clip a test light on the SHAFT and touch the wire and it should light up.
Using a high amp test light will confirm circuit integrity.

If it doesn't there is a circuit problem.

(Its a different circuit for 60 up).

READ>
http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/wired/wired_12_00/wired_12_00.htm
!!! ^ NOTE:The biggest problem with that article for pre 60's is the misdirection of the term column.
It should read steering SHAFT..

WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited

Last edited by VOLKSWAGNUT on Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:59 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
h~moto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try this web site:

http://www.thebugshop.org/bsfqhorn.htm

Horn Wiring Hell (How to survive and understand it)
iamdonquixote
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*) If I ground the wire going to the commutator, the horn sounds.

*) If I remove the horn button and put a probe on the nut it reads 6v.

My question is: should the nut ( I guess column shaft ) be ground and the wire coming out of the nut have the current? Or the other way?
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At rest...
Nut for steering wheel (shaft) is ground.
Wire from brush/ring is voltage (UNTIL its grounded).

The SHAFT at no time should have voltage as it should be insulated by the ring and separated by the horn switch..
It also SHOULD be 100% grounded by ways of the steering box via the jumper across the coupler.

Usually and often edited
iamdonquixote
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:
At rest...

The SHAFT at no time should have voltage as it should be insulated by the ring and separated by the horn switch..

insulated by which ring? the one inside the shaft?
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iamdonquixote wrote:

My question is: should the nut ( I guess column shaft ) be ground and the wire coming out of the nut have the current? Or the other way?

1- Where are you grounding the wire to make the horn operate?

2- If you read 6 volts on the steering shaft nut (steering wheel nut) is that at all times or is it only when the button is pressed?

iamdonquixote wrote:
VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:
At rest...

The SHAFT at no time should have voltage as it should be insulated AT the ring and separated by the horn switch..

insulated by which ring? the one inside the shaft?

Slight word correction.. ^

The shaft is insulated from the voltage
As the brush "ring" is insulated from the shaft. The wire is crimped or soldered to the ring side of the insulator.

The steering shaft is connected to ground via a jumper wire across the steering coupler to the steering box.

If the steering SHAFT from the wheel to the box has voltage.. the horn button is stuck or the wire is shorted or the ring insulator has failed AND the shaft is insulated from ground.

AT REST, Constant voltage is applied to the horn, the voltage travels through the horn windings and "load" (which are just wires right now), through the horn circuit (harness), through the brush, around the insulated ring, and up the steering shaft wire...where its there...doing NO work, just waiting, for the driver to press the horn contact....

When the button is pressed.. it completes the path via the horn contact switch to ground via the steering shaft...

Now...I'm trying to keep it simple and dont want to get into the whole explanation of the true way current flows...

When the button is pressed the circuit is NOW ACTIVE.. the "resting" voltage circuit from the horn contact, down the shaft, around the ring, through the brush, through the horn circuit and to the horn has NOW changed to a working ground thus making the horn.. or LOAD operate.

Whew.... that does sound complicated...

Think of electricity like water in pipes.. it makes it easier
Voltage is the pressure, Current is the flow, and Resistance (load) is the operating device.

You must have all three to make something operate.

GO BACK and read the links provided. The Bug Shop one really breaks it down nicely.

Usually and often edited
iamdonquixote
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:
iamdonquixote wrote:

1- Where are you grounding the wire to make the horn operate?

2- If you read 6 volts on the steering shaft nut (steering wheel nut) is that at all times or is it only when the button is pressed?

I ground the wire to going to the brush to the ashtray actually , horn sounds.

With the key on, horn button removed, I get 6v on the nut of the steering column/shaft or whatever pedantry you like.

Sounds like the steering shaft is not insulated from the steering column or tube properly. I guess I will remove the steering shaft and check it out.
Thanks
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: