Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Electrics Guru needed (1970 vert)
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
IamNotKoi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:59 pm    Post subject: Electrics Guru needed (1970 vert) Reply with quote

Greetings all.

I'm prepping my ride for a road trip next month. One of the things that i wanted to do was replace the radio and remove the old, useless hands free phone (the old style that's the size of many bricks), and an alarm system.

As you can guess in doing so I drove a stake through its tiny little heart and it won't start.

I have the wiring diagram from the Samba up on my screen, but I'm wondering if there's a terminal last? So I can tell what #50 on item D is.

Here's the quick rundown of what I have and don't have.

Ignition - nothing
Turn signal - No
Horn - nope
Wiper - no
Radio - no

Flashers - Yes
Lights - yes
high/low beam - yes.

My guess is that I may have clipped a ground somewhere, but need to figure out where to look first. The good(ish) news is that I have a trip to a real shop on the 12th for a go over (the wife doesn't trust me with the brakes yet (and she might be right)), but I'd like to drive it there instead of on a flatbed.

Many thanks in advance,
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Radio install is pretty straightforward.

See the Technical Section forWiring Diagram in upper right corner
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
bnam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.type2.com/library/identifi/bosterm.htm

Is this what you are looking for?
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Component "D" is your ignition switch, terminal 50 thereon is the wire that goes from the switch to the starter solenoid when you take the switch to the start position. Per your list of things that don't work, you can see they are all items that require the ignition switch to be turned on in order to operate. You need to make sure you have power going into the switch at terminal 30 (big red wire), and when you turn the switch on you should have power coming out at terminal 15 (black wire going to the fuse block).
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Note that bnam posted a Type2 link, look forType 1.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
IamNotKoi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mukluk - thanks to your clues I think I'm really close. Checked terminal 15 last night as it was the easiest thing to get to. Big fat zero.

Today I get home from work and check the big red wire - zero again. follow it backwards up though the dash and into a tangle of wire, find it again follow it between the wiper and new radio and find... it's unplugged.

So the $300 question - I have a big red wire from the ignition switch. At one end I have a female spade plug. Where is home for that plug? I'm guessing that there's a terminal block that I snagged when I was suffering from a bad case of stupid fingers.

mukluk wrote:
Component "D" is your ignition switch, terminal 50 thereon is the wire that goes from the switch to the starter solenoid when you take the switch to the start position. Per your list of things that don't work, you can see they are all items that require the ignition switch to be turned on in order to operate. You need to make sure you have power going into the switch at terminal 30 (big red wire), and when you turn the switch on you should have power coming out at terminal 15 (black wire going to the fuse block).
Fiatdude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you look at the wiring diagrams for the '70 Ghias, be aware there are 2 different ones -- my 70 ghia is the second one but yours could be the other --

I ALWAYS take a cell phone picture of the wiring where/near I'm working before starting a job -- just a hint for ya -- it has saved me numerous times

Here is a picture I took of the fuse block from oct 2012, when I tore it apart to glass bead everything and get better connections -- hopes it helps you

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

IamNotKoi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off, the stupid question. On the 1970_VW_Type_1_Poster.jpg wiring diagram here on the Samba - is the fuse box as seen from behind or is it as if you were looking at it from under the dash?

I'm really starting to think this was kludged by the first owner with the alarm and cell phone. (I know the second owner and he only had it for 150 miles). I've found a very promising very thick red wire that enters the boot right near where the filler neck meets the gas tank. It heads towards the dash but it's split. One line goes to a power line noise filter and then the yellow "memory" (non-switched) line to the radio. The other part goes through a in-line fuse holder and then to the bottom left (as seen from the boot) terminal. Which, by the way is showing 11.95v. Gut feeling tells me my answer is somewhere around there, but I haven't seen it yet.
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IamNotKoi wrote:
Mukluk - thanks to your clues I think I'm really close. Checked terminal 15 last night as it was the easiest thing to get to. Big fat zero.

Today I get home from work and check the big red wire - zero again. follow it backwards up though the dash and into a tangle of wire, find it again follow it between the wiper and new radio and find... it's unplugged.

So the $300 question - I have a big red wire from the ignition switch. At one end I have a female spade plug. Where is home for that plug? I'm guessing that there's a terminal block that I snagged when I was suffering from a bad case of stupid fingers.

The home for the other end of your big red wire is on the light switch, whichever terminal 30 that doesn't have a wire attached (there are two terminal 30s in case you're wondering). The power path for your car goes battery --> voltage regulator --> light switch --> ignition switch & far right side of fuse block. From there power routes out to the various switched and unswitched components. And to answer your question on how the diagram is laid out, it's arranged as if you are floating above the car looking directly down on it... so the fuse block isn't as you would see it from inside the car or looking at it in the trunk... fun huh?
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And a quick thing to add, I highly recommend disconnecting the battery before you reconnect the red wire to the light switch -- the terminal you attach it to is always hot, so you'll likely end up with some sparks and arcing if you stick it back on with the battery still connected.
IamNotKoi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course, terminal 30 is the upper most spade on the most out of the way part behind the dash. I ended up ripping the radio out (I had a spare mount) and removing the switch. And it fired right up.

Mukluk, and everyone else, thank you so much for the assist. I'd been trying hard to not flog myself for screwing this up. My cousin (the second owner) and his kids are in town, and my aunt from Alaska comes in next week. And they'll all want rides along West Cliff, and I can do that now. They just can't look under the dash...
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you got it running Applause
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: