Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Just bought this 1972 VW Bus close to original!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Terminatez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
With many new parts lately just because it's new doesn't mean it's any good, the tanks have issues and the senders are abolute trash. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=624286
Unless your tank has gaping rust holes in the bottom you'd be better off cleaning what you have: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=378770
Also if that late sender actually does work it will make your early gauge bounce and jump all over the place.

I was looking at the same one from jbugs.com...

Not sure if it's any good or bad :/

http://www.jbugs.com/store/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=JBUGS&Product_Code=211201075L
1967250s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

therealfrogman wrote:
The only limitation on those one year busses is that you could only drive it during 1972, Dancing

That's funny. Been driving my '72 from 1988 'til now! Almost 500,000 miles on it.
And if that tank is not leaking, I'd really work on it to save it. And there is a thread on fixing the sender unit, beats paying for crap that will break.
ohnomrbill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Any who, since I'm new here and new to this bus, where would be a couple suggested websites I can get parts from? I live in South California, preferably places in San Diego area and San Fernando area.

Congrats on the acquisition, I have a 73 with almost the identical interior except mine also has a fold-out table on the driver's side between the rear seat and jump seat. I've also had good luck with busdepot.com and justkampers.com as others mentioned, also cip1.com and germansupply.com for mechanicals. And bustedbus.com for some really hard-to-find parts - I got some lock assemblies from them that I simply couldn't find anywhere else. Have fun!
Terminatez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ohnomrbill wrote:
Quote:
Any who, since I'm new here and new to this bus, where would be a couple suggested websites I can get parts from? I live in South California, preferably places in San Diego area and San Fernando area.

Congrats on the acquisition, I have a 73 with almost the identical interior except mine also has a fold-out table on the driver's side between the rear seat and jump seat. I've also had good luck with busdepot.com and justkampers.com as others mentioned, also cip1.com and germansupply.com for mechanicals. And bustedbus.com for some really hard-to-find parts - I got some lock assemblies from them that I simply couldn't find anywhere else. Have fun!

Mine is suppose to have a table as well but it's missing. I'm going to buy it soon but right now I'm focusing on getting the car up and running before that. The interior is in pretty decent shape to be honest...
sparky892
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 4:10 pm    Post subject: Fuel tank Reply with quote

Terminatez wrote:
Tcash wrote:
Fuel tanks

Happy 4th
Tcash

Wow thanks. I see it, http://www.busdepot.com/211201075l

It says I need to use a late model sending link... that would be http://www.busdepot.com/211919051a
right?

I want to double check for safety.

I too have a 72, and recently removed and cleaned my tank. It is not hard and I only had a handful of rust, after cleaning it, it looked like new I decided not to por-15 it as others have, to me it was not needed after all for 40+ years old and a handful of rust it will out live me.
Also put a batt in it and check gauge to see it it works, if not it is also repairable.
I try to keep as many original parts as I can and this site has sooooo many good people that are more then willing to help and point you into the right direction.
Terminatez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel tank Reply with quote

sparky892 wrote:

I too have a 72, and recently removed and cleaned my tank. It is not hard and I only had a handful of rust, after cleaning it, it looked like new I decided not to por-15 it as others have, to me it was not needed after all for 40+ years old and a handful of rust it will out live me.
Also put a batt in it and check gauge to see it it works, if not it is also repairable.
I try to keep as many original parts as I can and this site has sooooo many good people that are more then willing to help and point you into the right direction.

You cleaned it inside too? Yea I'm trying to keep it as a original as possible as well but didn't think cleaning a tank was a better option than buying a new one. Guess aftermarket stuff isn't all the great.

Last edited by Terminatez on Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel tank Reply with quote

Terminatez wrote:
.......a better option than buying a new one.

Unless you can find real deal NOS VW parts in dusty worn blue and white boxes there is no new part you can buy today that compares to the used OG stuff you already have, it's worth the time to fix compared to the pain the new part will cause.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Terminatez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel tank Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Terminatez wrote:
.......a better option than buying a new one.

Unless you can find real deal NOS VW parts in dusty worn blue and white boxes there is no new part you can buy today that compares to the used OG stuff you already have, it's worth the time to fix compared to the pain the new part will cause.

Alright, while on the topic. What are some other parts that shouldn't be replaced?
So far.. gas tank.
old DKP driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:01 pm    Post subject: 1972 bus Reply with quote

There are many of US here that own 1972 Only BUSES and will be glad to help out.

As for parts, Make a list as you go forward with your new project.
Terminatez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just purchased a lot of parts from jbugs.com... I'm really liking their service and quality.

I noticed their online site doesn't show everything! Maybe only like 1/3rd of what they have to offer. So order a free catalog from them (got it in like 2 days). Look at the parts on the catalog and just type the product number into the online site to get it. It's awesome!

So far I got all the Exterior Rubbers. I might be shamed for it but I got their USA made rubbers, "cal grade" or something like that. I want to see how they turn out.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terminatez wrote:
1972 VW Bus with the sink inside! (not sure how one would model this but if you know pm me!)

Have you decoded your M plate yet?, it's behind the left front seat.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
Terminatez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Terminatez wrote:
1972 VW Bus with the sink inside! (not sure how one would model this but if you know pm me!)

Have you decoded your M plate yet?, it's behind the left front seat.

Nope will do maybe next weekend as I currently have the car sitting in San Diego. I'll update you guys then. Smile
Terminatez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I need help with the M-Code and a few other stuff.

First of all, I don't know how to get information from my M-Code as it's in a different format from the Decoder.

Second, I'm having trouble with the wheels, what size are they? Says 14, but everywhere else I check they label them as 15.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terminatez wrote:
I need help with the M-Code

A little more to the right, I can see the very edge of it peeking out from behind the seat at around 9:00 on the very edge of the picture.

Слава Україні!
Terminatez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see it! That's the M-Code?
What the first picture then?

Damn it, I was in San Diego, so will have to ask my uncle to take the picture of the other one this Monday.

Last edited by Terminatez on Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terminatez wrote:

What the first picture then? Sad .

That's the VIN, helpful with general year and model but no details regarding the particular build of your bus and anything special about it.
You need that plate behind the LF seat, once you have all the numbers/letters enter it carefully and precisely into one or more of the decoders listed in the FAQ at the top of the bay forum page, after that it's magic.

Слава Україні!
Terminatez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Terminatez wrote:

What the first picture then? Sad .

That's the VIN, helpful with general year and model but no details regarding the particular build of your bus and anything special about it.
You need that plate behind the LF seat, once you have all the numbers/letters enter it carefully and precisely into one or more of the decoders listed in the FAQ at the top of the bay forum page, after that it's magic.

Thanks! I guess I'll reupdate Monday! Smile
I've ordered a lot of parts already... from lights, rubbers, scrappers, whole wiring harness/looms, and a few other stuff..

I need help on the wheels/tires though. Everything shown about 185 SR 14 Reinforced is pretty much confusing. Will I still be able to get these wheels/tire combination? I don't need much for snow/rain since I live in California, just regular ol' tires.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SR stands for Summer Radial, seems adequate for your purposes. The critical rating you need is LT or the number of plys, particularly sidewall, car tires just won't do it, Light Truck (LT) is what you want at the very least, the extra $10-$20 a tire is money well spent.

Слава Україні!
Terminatez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
SR stands for Summer Radial, seems adequate for your purposes. The critical rating you need is LT or the number of plys, particularly sidewall, car tires just won't do it, Light Truck (LT) is what you want at the very least, the extra $10-$20 a tire is money well spent.

I read this once and then again, and I gave it one more try. I understood a handful of words. Laughing Laughing

I don't have size 14 rims and I can't find them new online (I want them with hub caps)...should I switch to 15?
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terminatez wrote:
I don't have size 14 rims and I can't find them new online (I want them with hub caps)...should I switch to 15?

If this is your bus it has 14" stock wheels on it right now:

Clean them up (powdercoat?) and get whatever everyone is recommending in the last few pages of the tire thread in the FAQ's, Hankook RA08 seems to ring a bell but check first as availability and quality changes.

Слава Україні!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: