Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Non-Ethanol Pure Gas
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ernie Punkin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:11 am    Post subject: Non-Ethanol Pure Gas Reply with quote

I spend most of my time outside of the lower 48, so pardon the ignorance, but I just learned how available pure non-ethanol gas is, at least in Washington State.

I know gas has been widely debated here, but I searched for this topic and couldn't find a specific conversation, so here goes....

I'm running a FI 77 westfalia. If I start using mostly pure gas, should any tuning or other modifications be made, or is the primary effect just slightly improved MPG?

This is a good list of suppliers:

http://pure-gas.org

Thanks for your time to comment.
Ion Pod Trailer
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In all but New England states...I have had little trouble finding non-ethanol fuel. In most places its premium.

Typically ....and it really depends on each individual engine.....I find that ethanol enhanced fuels in wet areas simply run slightly sluggish most probably due to excessive water entrainment. I also have tracked.......about 3% lower mileage....which is normal for ethanol fuel...and at times about 5% less mileage.....probably because of having to put your foot into it more often. Its rarely an octane issue.
ethanol had 18% lower btu output. That and being at 10% blend.....results in a very slightly lower mileage output.....but the ability to absorb about 3x its volume in water.....does the rest. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ohnomrbill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here in TN we have both kinds available. In my experience I get slightly worse mileage with the ethanol blend. The ethanol blend is more vulnerable to water absorption and a lot of the folks around here with tractors/ag equipment routinely use some type of dryer supplement when they run an ethanol blend.

I haven't had a pinging issue with either type.
cr@M
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can get it in my area just fine. Bus seems just a little bit happier, but nothing too noticeable. The problem is that it is a full $1.00 more per gallon, which is just painful.

"He who fights with monsters must see to it that he himself does not become a monster...
when you gaze long into the abyss, the abyss also gazes into you."
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My carbureted rigs hot start much easier on straight gas during the heat of summer. Up until about 90°F they will hot start instantly when I hit the key with real gas, while at temperatures starting around 65°F it may take 15-30 seconds of cranking to get them to hot start on alcohol laced fuel.

My gas mileage runs about 10% better with straight gasoline which helps to offset the extra $1 a gallon the unadulterated stuff cost.
Das67bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read about a fuel additive called StarTron that helps offset the effects of ethanol in the fuel.

http://www.starbrite.com/item/star-tron-gasoline-additive?category_id=699

Has anyone tried/use this?

Thx!

COMFORTABLY NUMB!!
-Pink Floyd
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bikerbus wrote:
I read about a fuel additive called StarTron that helps offset the effects of ethanol in the fuel.

Thx!

I use this regularly. Good stuff. Perfect for vehicles not driven regularly. Boats, Motorcycles, RV's, old VW's, etc. If you don't burn through a tank of fuel in 2-4 weeks, use Star Tron every time you fill up.

I also agree with what wildthings posted above. though I find the mileage improvement to not be worth the extra cost usually. I only concern myself with using higher octane pure gas when it is really hot, and I know my vehicle will be asked to work extra hard (trailer towing, etc).
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the ethanol molecule has an oxygen molecule with it. Because of this it uses one less oxygen molecule when it burns, leaving that molecule available for a carbon or hydrogen molecule. This means it burns leaner than "pure gasoline." You are injecting oxygen with the fuel and air. This is in part why your fuel mileage goes up a tad when you burn "pure fuel,"- you aren't filling your tank with air, and your mixture will go richer. The downside is that if you jetted perfectly for fuel with ethanol in it, you will find yourself a tad bit richer. If you are in a smog state and barely passed because you were too rich, pure gasoline may push you into a no pass. A side effect of adding ethanol is that it carries water well. The sign says "must contain 10% ethanol by law" yada yada. It does not say how much water is in that ethanol. So if someone adds a few gallons of water to lots of fuel each time they fill a tanker, they make a couple extra bucks and your mileage goes down.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
bikerbus wrote:

Thx!

I use this regularly. Good stuff. Perfect for vehicles not driven regularly. Boats, Motorcycles, RV's, old VW's, etc. If you don't burn through a tank of fuel in 2-4 weeks, use Star Tron every time you fill up.

I also agree with what wildthings posted above. though I find the mileage improvement to not be worth the extra cost usually. I only concern myself with using higher octane pure gas when it is really hot, and I know my vehicle will be asked to work extra hard (trailer towing, etc).

Star tron is 99.5% Naptha and 0.5% of a secret ingredient according to its msds sheet. Doesnt say what type of naptha...only that its aromatic (many types of naptha). Sounds like many other products. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
cdennisg wrote:
bikerbus wrote:

Thx!

Star tron is 99.5% Naphtha and 0.5% of a secret ingredient according to its msds sheet. Doesn't say what type of naphtha...only that its aromatic (many types of naphtha). Sounds like many other products. Ray

All I know is that it works. Years past I used OMC branded additive called 2+4 available at boat shops. It works great, but was much more expensive. I was a boat mechanic for a time, and we always used 2+4 for winter storage. Almost never had fuel issues when it was used.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: