Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

light problem
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VICS94HB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:06 pm    Post subject: light problem Reply with quote

so when i pull my headlight switch to the first click the parking lights come on. but when i pull it to the second click the head lights come on and the parking lights turn off. my brake lights still work. so my question is can the light switch be bad or is it something with my wiring? ive looked for other topics to answer my question but no luck. thank you guys for any help. Question
61Ragster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Switch and lights are operating properly. Be thankful.
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are both the front and rear turning off when the headlights are turned on, or is it just the fronts?
VICS94HB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

its was both the front and the rear. but now the rear are staying on after a couple of wiring reviews and noticing errors. now my problem is that my front driver parking light is not turning on at all. im not getting any power from the green wire coming out of the switch. i think ima have to pull off all the spade terminals and clean them out good.
h~moto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What year and model do you have? Find the wiring diagram for your car in the "technical" section of this web site. If it shows the light switch having a terminal 57, then your parking lights are designed to go off when the headlights are on. You may want to check your car to see if the correct light switch is installed.
Little known fact: I can't speak for other years, but parking lights on `66 Beetles intended for the US market are designed to go off when the headlights are on. On Euro spec Beetles, the parking light stay on when the headlights are on.
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the front parking lights, they should get power from terminal 57 when the switch is pulled to the first detent -- this is the only position that they will turn on. If you pull the switch to the second detent, the headlights will come on and the front parking lights will turn off -- this is normal operation. The power path for the front parking lights goes from terminal 57 on the light switch to a splitter, from the splitter two separate wires then lead to the parking lights. If only one of the parking lights is working, then check to make sure you have power from the splitter to the bulb socket, and that you have good, clean contact with the bulb in the socket (and that the bulb isn't burned out or the wrong type).
VICS94HB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:56 pm    Post subject: new problems Reply with quote

ok guys i did what you guys told me and the parking lights and the head lights work perfect. now i still cant figure out what is wrong with my turn signals and emergency lights. i posted a link to my correct wiring diagram.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/wiring/bug_67_USA.jpg

problem 1=i am using a fluke multi-meter and as you can see on the wiring diagram J1(turn signal and emergency light relay) and G1(emergency light switch)work together. So when the ES(emergency switch) is not activated i have power on the brown wire on both S terminals of J1 and G1 and no power on the blue wire on terminal k of G1 and terminal 49a of J1. but when i activate G1 i lose power on the brown wire on both S terminals and i never get power on the blue wire connected to G1. the wiierd part is i hear the clicking sound its soppose to make but the arrows in my speedo dont blink and the turnsignal lights outside the car dont blink either. when i unplug the wires to G1 and touch them together all i get is this wrong answer buzzing sound.

Problem 2=the turn signal switch when i activate it for left or right nothing happens at all. my question for this problem is can i pull apart the turn signal switch and get a wire and touch the contact points together to see if i can even get the outside turn lights to turn on? my guess is that terminal 49a on J1 sends power through the (black with white and green stripes) wire to terminal 54 on the turn signal switch(H1 on wiring diagram). then when the switch it activated either for left or right turns signal, it send power from terminal 54 to R and L on H1(turn signal switch).

please i ask when you comment put problem 1 or 2 before your comment so i can stay organized and we can understand what problem we are talking about. If i dont make sense please ask me to clarify and i thank you guys in samba land out there for all the help you guys always provide for me even thought a lot of my questions are stupid and small. also if i am wrong about how i think something works please let me know so i can correct my self. thank you all for all your help. happy late fourth of july.
-Victor
VICS94HB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bump anyone?
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've a sneaking suspicion both problems are related, namely the emergency flasher may be at fault here, but there are a few things to check.

You can test your turn signal switch for proper operation with your Fluke meter without pulling the switch apart -- do a continuity and resistance check from the white/green/black wire to the white/black wire and to the green/black wire when the switch is actuated accordingly.

Looking at the diagram, you should have unswitched (always on) power to terminal 30 and switched (key on) power to terminal 15 of the flasher relay. The relay should also have a good solid chassis ground where it's attached to the car. With the key turned on, you should be able to connect a test light to terminal 49a and a ground, causing the flasher to actuate and the test light to flash. For the emergency flashers, grounding the brown wire from terminal S should kick the hazards on.
VICS94HB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mukluk wrote:
I've a sneaking suspicion both problems are related, namely the emergency flasher may be at fault here, but there are a few things to check.

You can test your turn signal switch for proper operation with your Fluke meter without pulling the switch apart -- do a continuity and resistance check from the white/green/black wire to the white/black wire and to the green/black wire when the switch is actuated accordingly.

Looking at the diagram, you should have unswitched (always on) power to terminal 30 and switched (key on) power to terminal 15 of the flasher relay. The relay should also have a good solid chassis ground where it's attached to the car. With the key turned on, you should be able to connect a test light to terminal 49a and a ground, causing the flasher to actuate and the test light to flash. For the emergency flashers, grounding the brown wire from terminal S should kick the hazards on.

thank you so much this makes a lot of sense, i will run those test how you instructed. im just confused about the last sentence. when you say to ground the brown wire from terminal s. do you mean to unhook it from the relay spade and touch it to bare metal or unhook it from the emergency switch and touch it to bare metal? thank you for all your help.
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VICS94HB wrote:
when you say to ground the brown wire from terminal s. do you mean to unhook it from the relay spade and touch it to bare metal or unhook it from the emergency switch and touch it to bare metal?

Disconnect the brown wire from the emergency switch and ground it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: