Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Gas gauge eez kaput!
Forum Index -> 411/412 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kirk knighton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:36 pm    Post subject: Gas gauge eez kaput! Reply with quote

It flickered a few times before finally dropping to the bottom. It's NOT the fuse, so I'm wondering if it's the little thing mounted on the back of the gauge/clock or if it is the sender mounted in the gas tank.
Meanwhile I continue to use the trip-meter to keep track of my gas level - always reliable. And it's what I've done with my motorcycle forever.
Kharon8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sudden death is often a contact problem but you can check the sensor with ohm & volt meter.

Check also that
1) The gauge is getting 12V (Bottom 2 connectors are for fuel gauge, +12V and sensor. Sensor is grounded.)
2) The sensor has some reasonable resistance (0=full tank) and less than 1k ohm, all the way to the gauge (measure at gauge end)

3) if 2) doesn't happen, try again from sensor end: if still nothing (infinite resistance) the sensor is bad or disconnected so
4) Check sensor ground contact.

Option 2:
Feed variable voltage directly to gauge: It should show full with 12V and 3/4 full with something like 3 volts. (At least the one I've on my hand, does that.)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> 411/412 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: