Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Bus and Us - A journey from Alaska to Argentina in a 75
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
thebusandus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

7,000 Mile Update.

The only part of the bus I didn't go through was the rear torsion arms / rear wheel bearings. So as I was basically on the bump stops with the bus completely loaded I had the chance to adjust the rear suspension in Reno last week. I went up one spline, easy enough. The bus rides so much better it is quite unbelievable. I took off one rear hub but realized that wasn't needed for the second. The one I took off I could only get torqued to either 150ish FT lbs or 380 FT lbs because of where the cotter pin fits through the threaded hub. I figured it would be better to be a little loose just like the other side. So before I hit Mexico I will have to do those rears.

I should have added a front sway bar, especially being loaded up. It is not as bad now that the rear is tighter but I still need to add it.

Speed sensor - my speedometer sometimes clicks and sometimes sort of bounces around, I believe this is all because of the speed sensor attached to the speedometer cable, in addition, the speed sensor is not exactly accurate. Therefor my OBDII reader (ELM327 which relays info to my phone) is not accurate and can not determine MPG on the spot as it should be able to.

My odometer stopped working, but before I decided to buy gears I took it apart. When I painted I didn't fully remove the dash and there was sand from my sand blaster stuck inside of the gears (That crap is everywhere). One plastic cog has a crack but is still intact. I cleaned it out and it is working well now, so hopefully I won't have to replace gears down the line.

My sliding door began to get harder and harder to open. In Moab it essentially took all of my weight to open the handle. The handle felt like it was going to break. My GF was unable to open it (unhappy wife unhappy life). I took off the door, removed the panels and cleaned / greased the cable inside of the spring. I sprayed WD-40 inside of the front mechanism as it is riveted together. I took the rear mechanism off the door, it was absolutely full of old dog hair and crap. Parts washed it, greased it and now the door opens easily. What an improvement in life!

I replaced my passenger mirror and dome light with new and things inside are looking much better.

My oil pressure sensor wire burned up by touching the exhaust. Then all of the sudden my dimmer / headlight switch (Rheostat) went out, and when I put on my right blinker the fuse would blow. I replaced the blinker relay, rheostat and oil pressure sensor wire. I still blow a fuse when using the blinkers so I now assume it is the switch itself. I tested ohms and right blinker is always showing resistance. I am considering replacing other switches / relays as who knows which one will go out next when I can't get a replacement.

The rocky mountain westy shortened oilpan seemed great, but the dipstick just seems to be poor quality. Mine had to be remarked once I put in 5 quarts, easy enough. But a major problem kept occurring because the dipstick doesn't fit very snugly in the tube. It would back out after driving 5 miles and would let air and dust into the oil pan. So I had to wrap the dipstick pull area in silicone tape in order for it to seal correctly. There is no indentation which would allow me to put a O ring on it, the correct way to seal the dipstick.

I put on HD struts which help lift the loaded roof. These also are putting the roof under tension and the side which is lighter sticks up more. It was letting in quite a bit of air when driving. I actually just used the strongest velcro straps I could find at home depot to clamp each bar down on the sides. This has worked wonderfully. Now the wind noise going 70 is still non existent.

Best "upgrade" aside from the engine - the outside table mount. I haven't cooked in the bus yet as it is a breeze putting the table outside and cooking on it.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

At this point before I get south of the border I still need to put on a chicken wire guard for the radiator (it was pretty filled with small rocks). Replace that blinker switch. Rear wheel bearings. Front HD sway bar, and hopefully, find someone who will build a rear bumper / swing away quickly as I hate having this tire on the roof! I have a contact for a builder in Sacramento but he hasn't yet given me a price or timeline Sad. I need to get a solar panel that fits into the luggage rack once the tire is off, and buy a second battery. Time is dwindling and all the time I thought I would have to research putting the solar system in just isn't there. I will probably just have to hunker down in LA or SF for a few days and research / buy / install.

Panamerican Highway - 2014-2017
thebusandus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Currently in Santa Cruz, heading to LA.

A new blog is up from traveling in the desert and colorado.

http://www.thebusandus.com/blog/2015/3/31/crested-butte-on

We are preparing for traveling into Mexico and beyond. I may have someone do the rear bearings down in San Diego before I go, that is only part left untouched.

thebusandus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been a while since I've updated this thread.

I was having some issues with shifting when the transmission would get very hot and I have since switched to Lucas Synthetic 75W90 gear oil (GL-4/GL-5), it seems to be working great.

The spectre / K&N oiled cotton filter is trash in the dusty conditions I drive through. There is so much dust in the engine bay from these endless dirt roads, and it goes right through the filter. I'm switching to an AEM dry filter as it's supposed to perform better against dirt (which I read on offroad forums).

I am getting some noise up front when on windy roads. Specifically going downhill and turning right. I'm wondering if it could be the front inner bearing. I have retightened the outer bearing, it is sort of a metal on metal screeching sound that goes away when I'm pressing on the brake. Also if I grab the tire when the bus is on the ground I can feel some looseness in the hub, as if a wheel bearing is loose, but it's not so prevalent when the bus is in the air. I'm in El Salvador right now, mechanics seem to be getting worse the further from Mexico I go. I am hoping Costa Rica might have some better looking shops.

We have been keeping up to date on instagram but blogging takes quite a bit of time and strong WIFI which is hard to find when camping. So in the rare occasion we get a hotel we try to spend some time blogging. We have two posted from Mexico now, click below to check them out!

http://www.thebusandus.com/blog/lowerbaja

http://www.thebusandus.com/blog/upperbaja

I made some parcel trays while in Cabo, they turned out great! I just used some wood, L brackets, and oyster netting I found on the side of the road.

Camping in Baja was desolate and beautiful.

Look what I found in Mulege!

LivinInnaVWBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Following you guys on IG! I didn't even know you had a Samba page.
Where are you going to be around the end of the year/early next year? I might be traveling along the west coast.
thebusandus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We plan on being in patagonia / Ushuaia in january. It's to cold down there to visit in the winter and we want to do a lot of exploring and fly fishing / surfing. So we have to move fairly quickly to meet that goal (quickly in that there is so much to see!!) I am thinking I will stay in the Chile / Argentina / Uruguay / Brazil zone until August for snowboarding, and then ship the bus to America and drive back up to Alaska.

Are you planning on doing a similar trip?

LivinInnaVWBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DiVo wrote:
We plan on being in patagonia / Ushuaia in january. It's to cold down there to visit in the winter and we want to do a lot of exploring and fly fishing / surfing. So we have to move fairly quickly to meet that goal (quickly in that there is so much to see!!) I am thinking I will stay in the Chile / Argentina / Uruguay / Brazil zone until August for snowboarding, and then ship the bus to America and drive back up to Alaska.

Are you planning on doing a similar trip?

Perhaps.
The mid-west salted road winters have eaten my bus alive the past two years since I moved back here from New Orleans. I'll be a full time bus dweller again by November and moving south for the winter which will probably be in the California area so I can land an air cooled VW job easily. I heard of a really awesome work camping opportunity early next year in Arizona, so maybe I'll head that way for a bit.
panic_fan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

enjoy following along! Keep on Bus'n.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=291988&highlight=

"Still learnin the way around my VW bay"
Teal Bay Bus
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 10:40 pm    Post subject: Re: The Bus and Us - A journey from Alaska to Argentina in a Reply with quote

That baja pic says it all.

Killer job divo!!! Hit me up next pass thru Seattle please!!! Smile

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mlesniak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: The Bus and Us - A journey from Alaska to Argentina in a Reply with quote

keep it up! im now following you Instagram and the samba forum! super inspirational! safe travels Very Happy
thebusandus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2015 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: The Bus and Us - A journey from Alaska to Argentina in a Reply with quote

[CLUTCH ISSUE BELOW]
I haven't updated in a while, it's been hard to keep up with the blog especially with spotty internet. It's interesting, being on the road for nearly a year and feeling like we still don't have time to do or see all that we want to. Time really is the most precious commodity. Anyway, here is a Christmas picture from Peru. I am especially thankful for the Samba community because I wouldn't have been able to build my bus without you!

Now to the juicy stuff. We've been on quite the push since Colombia, with a date to meet our friends in Santiago, Chile over New years. That being said we've been pushing the bus hard, 12/14 drive days are the norm going through massive altitude, temperature and road condition changes. The front suspension is now making a horrible squeaking noise. I had a roadside mechanic lube the suspension recently, I'm wondering if the lube he used may be reacting with the old rubber seals in the bus?

Even juicier now, trying to reach the "death road" here in Bolivia today we were confronted with a near stand still while going through a police check point. For a half hour we were forced to creep slowly up a hill to reach this checkpoint. I had really no choice but to ride the clutch because if you are not on someones ass then you are going to get passed as is always the case in Central America. I could feel the clutch not biting as it usually does by the time we finally reached the police. I accelerated up the hill away from the police and felt second gear feel like it hardly engaged but eventually it pushed me up to speed to shift to third. Third year.. well I couldn't feel it engage at all and RPMS shot up without the bus accelerating.. I was slipping bad. I turned around immediately, once back in La Paz ( a very steep mountainous city) it seemed 1st and 2nd gear were biting as usual, and I was able to climb steep hills.

There is a mechanic here who is supposed to be good, I'm wondering if I should wait until Monday to have him replace the clutch, OR can clutches heat up so much from being ridden that they will slip until cooled down? It seriously doesn't feel like its slipping at all now, although I haven't been able to test third gear. It is a KEP stage 1 200MM PP and HD clutch (I've heard bad things about the KEP clutches since so I'm wondering if it at the end of it's life). I only have 20K on the entire set up. The bus weighs 5000Lbs or so and have driven it mostly on the worst roads imaginable so I could see the clutch going out now. The other issue here is I'm supposed to be meeting a friend in Santiago Chile in 6 days, about 2000 miles away, and it is through some of the most desolate roads I will encounter this entire journey (Bolivian salt flats, aticama desert)... is it possible I can make it and get it fixed in Santiago?

Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2015 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: The Bus and Us - A journey from Alaska to Argentina in a Reply with quote

Been waiting for an update for weeks...your pics in Mexico are like my go to while it's pouring rain and cold here....Very Happy

Glad you guys are doing alright! Need to read about this clutch issue now...

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2015 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: The Bus and Us - A journey from Alaska to Argentina in a Reply with quote

In theory it can do just like your brake pads can when you overheat them causing brake fade...the friction material when it heats up releases a gas that doesn't compress and sits between the clutch disc and flywheel surface, thereby making it less effective. On brakes the gas (like hot air) would sit between the pads friction material and the rotor. Cooling down allows the gas to dissipate and quit being produced.

To test drop it in fourth at idle and let the clutch out. If it dies immediately, clutch is fine leave it alone. If it dies slowly, like when you try to leave a stop in third and you kill it at the stoplight, then the clutch is slipping. You can simple do this test with the e brake on and foot on the brake, don't give it any gas as you let off the clutch

206-841-7324
[email protected]
thebusandus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2015 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: The Bus and Us - A journey from Alaska to Argentina in a Reply with quote

Thanks Stuart, I'll do the test first thing in the morning!

Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: The Bus and Us - A journey from Alaska to Argentina in a Reply with quote

You need to adjust your clutch. On vw's you loosen the wing nut as the clutch wears out, not tighten it. This is a common mistake.
If the adjustment wing nut is out to the end of the threads on the clutch cable the clutch is worn out.

Clutch adjustment

If it was me I would drill an inspection hole in the clutch cover (bellhousing). This will also allow you to inspect the clutch disc and pressure plate. As well as lube the throwout bearing. Be sure to put a plug in the hole to keep water and mud out.

Good luck
Tcash
thebusandus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: The Bus and Us - A journey from Alaska to Argentina in a Reply with quote

So I made it to the salt flats in Bolivia, the clutch hardly got me up one hill where I had to stop for a stop light but it was very steep. Any recommendations on a new heavy duty clutch?
I have always had issues with the clutch disengaging, I've been through three clutch cables on this trip, had the cable tube welded and now I am having issues with shifting again. So my way to resolve this in the past would be to tighten the cable further which always seems to work for a while, but now Tcash, you think I should loosen it a bit? It's actually maxed out right now, I was going to add another spacer when I have a chance.

I will be in Santiago in a few days and I can likely find any part, and I'll have access to good mechanics so perhaps I'll pull it apart and figure out if something else may be going on.

Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: The Bus and Us - A journey from Alaska to Argentina in a Reply with quote

Sounds like a hydraulic clutch may be a worthwhile investment for you in the future...run a heavier clutch disc and easier on your foot.

Until then, have you ever had your passenger push up and down on the clutch while you watch the tube under the bus? And if so, does any of the hard tubing flex around? Also, are your clutch cables stretching or fraying? When they snap, are they snapping in the same place each time? When I had my HD (preferred) pressure plate, nearly to the day every 6 months I blew a cable. The stock cables just weren't quite enough I guess? Mine also has another issue but minor. Make sure when your moving the clutch cable with the pedal it feels and sounds smooth...no rubbing noises or sandy feeling as it moves...

Hope this helps!

206-841-7324
[email protected]
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: The Bus and Us - A journey from Alaska to Argentina in a Reply with quote

refresh my memory....

what clutch/pp/trans are you running?

for whatever reason on both late bus/Subaru swaps I have needed to open up a clutch adjustment wing nut to use as a spacer (as it has the correct profile for the arm) to get the clutch to release.

both use the KEP adapter/flywheel KEP stage 1 p/p and a stock(ish) clutch. both have new cables too.

it seems to me on the late buses, there is a LOT of room before the TOB even thinks about touching the p/p as in the arm has a lot of swing compared to what stock would have

I almost wonder (and haven't tried) if the ring that my p/p came with (early bay) would be beneficial to use here.

that said, with the stiffer p/p cable stretch is pretty much guaranteed. I find it hard to believe that you cooked a clutch in that mileage but I have no idea how hard you are on it either.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: The Bus and Us - A journey from Alaska to Argentina in a Reply with quote

Gold^^

206-841-7324
[email protected]
thebusandus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: The Bus and Us - A journey from Alaska to Argentina in a Reply with quote

It does sound a bit like rubbing and "sandy" when I push the clutch pedal but I figure it is the extra strength needed to push the stage 1. All KEP set up, Lucas synthetic tranny fluid.

Okay, I made it to Antofogasta, I've descended 12000 feet and have gone through hell today over 500km of washboard road. The Subaru for the first time has died on me, well a few times. Just on starting, if I give it gas it goes back to idle normally and driving seems okay, maybe a bit under powered..

It died the first time at 12,000 feet using Bolivia gas (unknown octane likely shitty) but didn't numerous times after. Now it has again twice after filling with gas in Chile, once at 10000 feet or so and again at sea level. But, I have filled with 93 and then 95 octane, it's all that was available. Is the Subaru not adjusting until running for a while to drastic octane differences? The weird thing is it only does it after being shut off for a bit like while filling.

In addition during the hell road my dipstick began to back out, when I filled it 500 dust km later I found the dipstick an inch up, therefor my engine may have been sucking in dust for unknown miles, and this is the dustiest road of the trip. I have 1500 miles till my next oil change but I'm thinking about changing the oil tomorrow, fuel filter, and cleaning the air filter. I just don't know if it could be the 95 octane that is making it start like crap.

Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: The Bus and Us - A journey from Alaska to Argentina in a Reply with quote

I hope you have added filtration for dirt...dirt goes right through most paper filters and all k&n filters. Oil bath is the only way to promise no dirt gets into the engine on dusty roads. Have had my bus run a tad rough and hard start with a super dusty clogged air filter once or twice...may be worth checking for that hopefully easy fix.

Figure out where and why it's rubbing, and you will figure out why they keep snapping. Took me getting in a couple other busses before I realized how bad mine is and that's when I realized why I kept blowing cables. Just my opinion here but I'd try and figure out what's rubbing roughly.

206-841-7324
[email protected]
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8

Jump to: