Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Diesel: GoWesty’s radiator baffles installation
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gnarlodious Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 7:24 am    Post subject: Diesel: GoWesty’s radiator baffles installation Reply with quote

I got the Radiator Baffle Set from GoWesty to get more air through my radiator, as the old ones were pretty much deteriorated. As of this writing, the page says this in red lettering:
Fit notes: This kit fits all watercooled Vanagon vehicles. Basically, if your Vanagon has a radiator, this product is for you.
GoWesty has informed me that this misleading language will be removed.

I am still not sure if the diesel radiator (1983˝ model) mount system is different from the gas engined model, hence this post. I’m hoping to learn something here.

Pictured is the baffle on the passenger side lower, it was easy and turned out good:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I had to forcibly bend the plastic and tuck it into a groove between the radiator core and the tank. It may or may not stay there but I'll keep an eye on it. If I had not done this the flap would have covered too much of the radiator, in my opinion. This may be due to the larger radiator on the ’83 diesel, but I am not sure.

Doing the same thing on the driver's side, except the temp sensor prevents a good solid seating of the plastic:

The upper passenger side looked like this floppy arrangement, with no way to attach it:

On my Vanagon the wiring conduit is fastened to the crossmember and so the cutouts shown are unused.

Because I don't know how this is supposed to attach on a "normal" Vanagon, here is what it looks like on the '83 diesel:

I am pretty sure that driving under hot circumstances would cause this piece to flop over, since it is not fastened at the top.

Another angle from below:

I cut it back far enough to tuck it under the metal, which holds it tightly against the radiator tank:

I had to forcibly bend a perforated crease in the plastic to get it behind the top crossmember. I don't know how this will hold up so I'll check it in the hot weather.

The driver's side is an even bigger problem due to the side tank lacking the bleed screw, which doesn't leave anything to press against:

I am going to leave this piece flapping in the hot breeze until I figure out how to fasten it down. I have no clue how these are supposed to be attached on a "normal" Vanagon.

CAUTION! if you fasten the rivet tabs as they come from the factory you will damage them!

Notice the acute angle that applied too much tension on the rivet-downs and cracked the scored plastic at its fold. I then figured out what was wrong and bent the tabs the opposite way from how they came.
The plastic is not terribly flexible and is easily damaged by bending it too much. No instructions were included, so I naturally assumed they came from the factory with the tabs bent in the direction they are riveted down. DON’T MAKE THE MISTAKE I DID!

I then bent them them backwards, like this (passenger side):

The remains of the old paper baffle under the rivet told me that is how VW instlled the baffle too, the tabs were bend to the inside on the diesel.

GoWesty assured me that the exact same piece was installed on all watercooled models, so what gives? I believe that the high capacity radiator on the '83˝ diesel has thicker side tanks and may have a larger surface area. The original fiberboard baffles were way more flexible than these plastic ones, so the same part was used despite their poor fit. The only difference being the direction the rivetdown tabs were bent upon installation.

Any observations will be appreciated.
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trim, adapt to fit properly would be the smartest thing to do.
I know they said it would fit all water cooled models--they obviously didn't take your diesel into consideration.

It's a make them fit kinda deal, or send them back and have nothing.
Jeffrey Lee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm interested in this as I'll soon be installing a new radiator in my 1983 diesel Vanagon, and plan to replace the baffles at the same time.

What do you mean by "high capacity"? Compared to the 1982 diesel, or compared to the 1983 gassers?

Several online vendors, including an actual VWoA dealer, list PN #068121253E (radiator) as fitting all 1983 models. Is there something unique to the diesel Vanagon radiator?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am hoping someone more knowledgeable than me chimes in with the facts. What I have heard is that the early model diesel had a diesel radiator, but the later model starting with the ’83˝ model had a higher capacity cooling system. This included a pressure tank with a larger outlet at the top, level sensor, different hoses, two speed fan and a larger radiator. I’ve read that doing an upgrade to the later radiator is difficult due to different mounts. So yes, the later radiator is physically larger and has a higher cooling capacity.

Last edited by Gnarlodious on Sat Jun 06, 2015 9:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'83 diesel radiator is the same as WBX.
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terry Kay wrote:
or send them back and .....

...make your own

Just made some from coroplast (plastic cardboard) bending is easy with that stuff.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7630228#7630228

www.SuperVanagon.com - some stuff I make
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 4:50 pm    Post subject: More discussions about this part Reply with quote

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=591425
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=632252
JackE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:01 am    Post subject: Re: Diesel: GoWesty’s radiator baffles installation Reply with quote

Hi I just wondered if anyone has a copy of the pdf templates as the link above doesn't seem to work any more.

Many thanks
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: Diesel: GoWesty’s radiator baffles installation Reply with quote

PM vanis13.

That user just logged in yesterday......

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
ZsZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: Diesel: GoWesty’s radiator baffles installation Reply with quote

I downloaded all the files before: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jverdl3rbitnzuj/AAAizIU2DUijFPBIINtWf7mHa?dl=0
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: