Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Pretty nice 412 for sale here in Denver!
Forum Index -> 411/412 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kirk knighton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 7:06 pm    Post subject: Pretty nice 412 for sale here in Denver! Reply with quote

What do people think? Especially you Ray? Worth $8,000?
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No link?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1812516

It's not the first time I have seen this 412 for sale. I am surprised the "will take care of" items are still listed that way. For that kind of asking price, I would think it would be finished. Same thing for the cracked dash.

$8,000 is too high for me to even make an offer.

There's a blue 411 for sale that has my eye, too. I think $4,999 is too high for it. Ironically, it is (or was) on eBay for $7,999 with a Best Offer option.

Not sure a Type 4 is my future ... but I will keep looking.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok.....my first thought was no way.

I stopped for coffee and re-read this description. I remember this car from an ad before. I dont know the person.

I still think $8000 is a little high.....especially with the list of things ...mostly cosmetic....that need to be done.

But I want to speak to the positives. The real key will be the, receipts and speaking to the suppliers of the parts and work if they are available. Whoever is interested in this car will need to open a pre-sale dialog with the seller...if the seller has any hope of getting this much money.

Some details/questions:

1. I would want to know a lot more about the scat camshaft, valvetrain and engine build details. I do not know what camshaft Scat makes...if any...that is designed for the best running of the iniection. They may make one...I just dont know. Also build details of the heads and did the machine work. If all checks out....and the engine and injection systems are as good as purported.......it probably cost about $ 3-4k in parts and machine work if the owner did the assembly. Call it $3000.....you, cant get everything back you put into a build

2. I would want to know details of body stripped and "dipped"......the amount of work, soft parts removal and destruction....and the fact that the wiring harness and a HUGE range of parts that are just not found on virtually any other early car type that one "strip and dip"....would make me wonder if this was actually done. I would make the seller prove this. Kudos if it was actually done....and done right. The rust proofing ....removal of undercoating factor...I would say is worth about $1100.....just trying to put a, number on it.

3. Make sure the heater system is complete.

4. Ok....so it has the Audi strut mod. If done right.......stubs machined...work you dont have to do or have done....worth about $400. If the ball joints are new, new tie rods and centerlino and idler bushing....call that worth about $800.

5. If he has receipts and proof of the automatic being properly rebuilt.....with all parts......I would call that about $200 in parts.....and $500 in labor....about $700 worth that you dont have to do.

6. With all of the other parts....I know what things can cost to ship. I would give him $1k credit if they are all good and check out.

7. If the brakes are redone..... and the parts receipts are there. ... $500

If he he hoing to get the max money back.....and someone had the money to spend and wanted a car like this....and had fewer mechanical skills and time than many of us who work on and own these cars....and all of this checks out.......I would say the max would be about $7100 to 7500 max. I have no idea what he really put into this car. .....but its probably in reality up around $10-12k....which had no bearing on what its "worth"......but if I were selling that car I would probably start the conversation at $8000 as well......if everything I listed were true and I could prove it........knowing in reality that the market will actually bear somewhat less. You have to start a price conversation somehwere.

In reality...because it has some issues that are normal with these cars.....if someone were serious about owning one of these cars.....and as noted.....had more money than mechanical skills and time......and could go look at and verify things........I would say between $5,000 and $6,500.....if all is true. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kirk knighton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the thing that gets me about this car and the ad is the unfinished work that he isn't going to finish. Like installing the carpet and back windows. He makes it sound like these are positive things. But I simply ask: why DON'T you put the window in? Having done SO much to this car, it's like just plopping down on the track just a few feet from the finish line.
With three of these cars myself, including the beautiful and near-perfect Sparkie, I'm not in the market for another one. But I am always interested in the ongoing survival of our favorite and endangered species the Type 4.
Speaking of which: any idea how many of the original 350,000 are still on the road in the world? I know I have three of them!
ubercrap
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought my 412 wagon from this guy about 9-10 years ago. He is or was a major old VW/Porsche enthusiast. My feeling is that he would be genuine in his dealings. He was generous to me and concerned the car go somewhere where it was appreciated. I spoke to him about what he was doing/going to do to this car back then and it was extensive. My impression is that he would be pretty meticulous as well. I was a bit perplexed to see him start listing a few years ago IIRC, completely unfinished. It seems he is still working on it slowly, and putting out feelers for possible buyers. Life can offer up some interesting twists and turns that change ones plans...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> 411/412 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: