Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

65 front brake drums
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Carson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 2:26 am    Post subject: 65 front brake drums Reply with quote

I have a 65 notch, will the front brake drums from earlier type 3's work? If not what's the difference between them.
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im not sure that they will. Frank ran into rubbing issues when he used 64-65 5 lug drums on 61-63 backing plates. This was on the rear though. I think if the outer lip on a front backing plate for 64-65 brake is the same as 61-63 then it will work fine. Ive never done it, and never looked that much into it.

Are you going to buy 61-63 drums and want to know if they wil fit 64-65?

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
howiesfamily
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have exactly the same situation. 65 Notch in need of front drums. From what I've been told, only 64-65 will fit right. You can replace backing plates and all if you want to use earlier brakes. I've come across some correct drums for sale for about $50 each. One guy had a complete front beam for $100 from a 65. Shoes are still available, so are new rear drums. Sure would be nice if someone decided to start manufacturing new front drums.

Of course, we could always convert to 5 lug discs all the way around! Laughing
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats why Ive hoarded nos drums and slave cylinders for my two cars, 62 & 63 notches Exclamation Drums are a low necessity, but when you do need them, dahm try to find one. Shocked I cant remember when Ive seen a 64-65 front nos drum come up. Question I sold a pair of used front 64-65 drums to a guy. They were usable, but barley. He gave me sh*t about the fact they were on their last leg. I respoded with, try and find others! He realised and chilled after that. Cuz its true. Rolling Eyes Shocked

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
howiesfamily
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did find a guy in England that has rebuild kits for the front wheel cylinders for $7 a pop. I guess that's not too bad except you need 4 sets. Still need 1 drum.
Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should be able to buy the kits local. A lot cheaper. They are 22mm or 7/8".

Gary: OK. Ima poop.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: