Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Project Crunchie '87 Syncro Tin Top Overlander. (Pic Heavy)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 31, 32, 33  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Signalocity wrote:
syncrodoka wrote:
I weld that nut in place so that you only have to deal with the bolt. Wink

Beautiful build as always.

And where was this tidbit prior to me powder coating lol.

I appreciate it.

Argh, sorry about my timing.
I just noticed that you need to do a bit of touchup now and offering a different solution to your problem.

Looking forward to some action shots when it is back on all fours. Smile
Signalocity
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

syncrodoka wrote:
Signalocity wrote:
syncrodoka wrote:
I weld that nut in place so that you only have to deal with the bolt. Wink

Beautiful build as always.

And where was this tidbit prior to me powder coating lol.

I appreciate it.

Argh, sorry about my timing.
I just noticed that you need to do a bit of touchup now and offering a different solution to your problem.

Looking forward to some action shots when it is back on all fours. Smile

And a better solution at that. Just one of those many things that present themselves, seemingly out of nowhere. Lucky I had some black touch paint nearby Very Happy
Signalocity
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time for the front bumper mock up. Like many of us, I was waiting for ages to see what was going to transpire with the Bostig bumper program. Sadly it dissolved into a bit of a mess, with no real clear picture if it was ever going to happen, or by whom. The fact that there was never a matching rear Bostig bumper to go with the front, helped with the resolution to go a different route. Deciding to move on, I sat down and revisited the options out there. Make my own, Rocky Mountain varieties, tube bumpers and so on. I wanted to go with a plate bumper vs. tube, as tube bumpers are starting to feel a bit dated to me. I originally wrote off the Gowesty bumpers, but decided to give them a second look. I liked their one piece and simple design in comparison to the other offerings. The one downside to the Gowesty front bumper though, is that it is not tied into the van structurally to allow for winching/towing. I had to figure out a way to accomplish this, but I also didn’t want to compromise the front crumple zone. The Bostig design ties into the front frame rails via an extended bracket. Honestly, I was never crazy about this either. If you were ever to hit something hard enough head on, you are transferring that energy directly to the frame rails and passenger compartment, bypassing the crumple zone all together. I am not usually the orange sash hall monitor type lol, but it was enough of a concern for me personally, that I wanted to explore other avenues. Not to mention the fact that crumpled noses are easier to fix then twisted frames. In my research, I came across this post by Samba member trailnewt …

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5684330

A simple solution that made a lot of sense to me. Now with a plan in hand, I ordered up my Gowesty bumpers. I e-mailed them ahead of time to see if I could get some unfinished ones, since I was going to be modifying them more than usual, and I wanted to paint them to match my wheels. I had to wait a few extra weeks while they were fabbed up, but they were super helpful in my request, and subtracted the $150 that the standard wrinkle finish would have cost, without me asking. Excellent customer service on their part. I ordered up my steel channel cut to size from …

http://www.speedymetals.com/default.aspx?

4 times - 3.500 5” {A} x 1.750” {B} x 0.190” {C}
Channel, 6.7lb/ft A-36 Hot Rolled Steel

At $35 shipped, it worked out perfectly. I notched out a spot on the rear side of each bracket with a 4” angle grinder, to clear the pinched seam on top of the impact bumper. This is a time consuming laborious pain in the ass, but worth the extra effort. I picked up a hitch plate from Harbor freight (I know, but this thing is seriously stout compared to others available and at an affordable price. It has a plate folded over the back and opposing side of the hitch tube, and fully welded on every seam. I would say the 5000lb capacity is conservative at that) …

http://www.harborfreight.com/5000-lb-step-bumper-receiver-69670.html

The tow eyes I sourced from amazon …

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GP0167A?psc=1&...ge_o06_s00

I had a hard time finding anything similar at a reasonable price, and these still seem high to me, considering what it is lol. At least they are super well made.

So with everything mocked up, I set to work. I will have to trim the lowest slat of bottom the grill, so that the hitch mount will sit far enough back, where it needs to be, but this seemed to be the most reasonable compromise. I tack welded the brackets into place, just to hold them still, while I drilled the holes through the bumper and brackets. I added an extra hole on the hitch plate towards the rear, so the mounting was a little less linear. I used 12mm 10.9 grade bolts, which is about as hefty as it gets. I welded the nuts to the bottom of the “C” channel, so the bumpers simply bolt on from the top, through the accessories. After a few test fits, I ended up shimming the bumper slightly up, by adding some large washers to the brackets and welding them in place. I used some epoxy to seal them, as I didn’t want a ton of weld on there. This addition dialed the height in perfectly. I can slide the bumper on, and it sits right where it needs to be. A few more test fittings, before final welding of the bracketry and I was good to go. I welded both front and rear edge of the brackets (opposite sides of the seam), and the inner edge of the bracket on the front additionally. There will eventually be some fog lights between the tow eyes and hitch mount.

A note on clearance and angles. The Gowesty front bumer literally sits on the bottom and front of the stock impact bumper. There really is little to no room for improvement there. Granted, they could look a little spiffier with some dimensions throw in, but the price point, fit and finish are well worth it. One day in the distant future, I might set about designing some of my own, if the need for a project moves me lol.

TIP: From this post, and trailnewt’s post, this might seem like a pretty straight forward and simple install, but fair warning, it is quite the undertaking. After all, you are making 3 sets of 12 holes in heavy gauge steel that all have to line up right at the end of the day (more like a weekend plus a few nights). You have to do everything in the correct order, keep the brackets numbered and grind, cut and weld your way to the finish line.

DISCLAIMER: Obviously there will be tremendous forces involved in winching, and you don’t want your weak link to be the welds. Consult a pro if it is your first time out.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

ecsnsmb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, Signalocity. Well done! Awesome idea and beautiful execution. I would love to do something similar with the tow points and front hitch. I actually really dig the GoWesty bumpers unfinished too. Thanks for the inspiration!
Signalocity
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecsnsmb wrote:
Wow, Signalocity. Well done! Awesome idea and beautiful execution. I would love to do something similar with the tow points and front hitch. I actually really dig the GoWesty bumpers unfinished too. Thanks for the inspiration!

Thanks! The bumpers will be painted to match the wheels though. One could go with the unfinished look, but they would need to be shot with clear at least.
Signalocity
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right! Rear bumper time. Matching unfinished (to be painted) Gowesty rear bumper fitment. The Gowesty rear bumper mounts in a stockish fashion, but the frame inserts (sorry, not pictured) go much deeper in to the frame rails. Fully welded, it is pretty stout on its own, but when you add the hitch insert (also not pictured lol), it really beefs things up. I will post more on the install and detail side of things once everything starts going back together, this part was mainly to mock up the swing-outs prior to paint. Like the bumpers, I trolled the web for options on swing outs. I like the look of the body mounted ones available, but they can be a bit on the pricey side. Factor in that with the physical aspect of mounting them to the body (as well as latches), and I started to think twice about it. Gowesty had a significant design overhaul on their swing-outs, since starting this build. The new ones are quite simple, bumper mounted, reversible with shock assists to keep them open. I appreciate the modular design and options available for multipurpose uses. The latch is simple to use/adjust, and the compact design should keep the weight down. Only one swing-out pictured, but mocked up for two. Once again, not the most stylish of the options out there, but simple, durable and well made … which are the enduring themes of this build.

Phishman068
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't say I trust those shackle mounts mounted on the top like that. Yes they're welded into a solid bracket, that's pretty well welded into the crumple section of the van, but with that said.... The angles are quite unfavorable and you'll be putting ALL that stress in any pulling situation against the welds in a tearing manner. It's not ideal.
Are they going to rip off? Probably not, but they day they do.... it will be once all your confidence is in them and you're relying upon them, not great.

With that said, you have definitely made the best of the gowesty bumper system! I've seen a few people modify them accordingly, and it's good to see them made functional, as in their stock shape they really don't impress me at all. Heck, they're attached with two M8 bolts! In what way is that "STURDY".

EPIC van, dude!
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6864936#6864936

"Along with the ability to go fast, one looses the desire to hurry."
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Signalocity
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phishman068 wrote:
I can't say I trust those shackle mounts mounted on the top like that. Yes they're welded into a solid bracket, that's pretty well welded into the crumple section of the van, but with that said.... The angles are quite unfavorable and you'll be putting ALL that stress in any pulling situation against the welds in a tearing manner. It's not ideal.
Are they going to rip off? Probably not, but they day they do.... it will be once all your confidence is in them and you're relying upon them, not great.

With that said, you have definitely made the best of the gowesty bumper system! I've seen a few people modify them accordingly, and it's good to see them made functional, as in their stock shape they really don't impress me at all. Heck, they're attached with two M8 bolts! In what way is that "STURDY".

EPIC van, dude!

Honestly, I thought about just that scenario. Before completely committing to the design, I checked with a master welder who frequents the shop next door to do cast welding on exhaust headers. I explained to him what I was trying to achieve and my similar concerns. He explained to me that if the welding is done well, it is no longer a sheer point, but rather now part of the structure that it is welded to. So in essence, you are pulling on the entire front of the van, not just the bracket. He claimed the metal structure of the impact bumper would likely deform and tear before the bracket ever let go at the weld. Keep in mind, there is over a foot of weld on each bracket. Having worked in a bodyshop for two years, I can attest to many collisions, where sheet metal tore in similar sheer situations, but welds held strong. That is one qualm that the body techs had concerning epoxies coming into fashion.

The common approach is to make a bracket bolted through the bumper, as seen on the Rocky Mountain Westy bumper ...

But what happens if you are pulling on an incline or decline, or left to right for that matter (the same direction as these welds on the bracket)? You are back in the same sheer situation described above, regardless if the tow shackle is on front of the bumper or not. It would only apply if pulling in a straight line, and I have seen plenty of sheered bolts. A lot of people tout the strength of the Rocky Mountain bumpers and often refer to the picture of the van hanging from the crane. I was surprised to see these shackle mounts are held on with nothing more than speed clips. If was concerned enough about it, I suppose I could drill a hole through from the bottom and run one or more of the bolts all the way through ... but I'm not that concerned about it lol. Consequently, I have two other tow eyes under the van, where the bolts for the clamshell went through the front sub frame, and there will be four on the back as well. I have options Smile

I understand where you are coming from though, but ultimately, you would have to be inducing some pretty impressive stresses to cause either set up to fail. At the end of the day, tow tongues are held on with nothing more than a hitch pin Very Happy
Abelabelabel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just want to put my two cents in. This thread has been really, really, really inspiring. I'm pretty new to being a Vanagon owner, and slowly but surely taking on more and more on my own once I get my vehicles to a "pretty sure they wont kill me" point with my mechanic(s). To watch someone break every component of a vehicle down and give it attention, and a facelift, is like watching someone make art.

It also made me google prices for small scale media/sand blasters. Smile

Please continue. Popcorn
SyncroBilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

X2. Been totally inspired by this restoration. Wish I was able to copy this. My build is more like a preservation
Signalocity
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abelabelabel wrote:
Just want to put my two cents in. This thread has been really, really, really inspiring. I'm pretty new to being a Vanagon owner, and slowly but surely taking on more and more on my own once I get my vehicles to a "pretty sure they wont kill me" point with my mechanic(s). To watch someone break every component of a vehicle down and give it attention, and a facelift, is like watching someone make art.

It also made me google prices for small scale media/sand blasters. Smile

Please continue. Popcorn

Thanks for saying so! My friend and I went halves on the floor cabinet from Harbor Freight ...

http://www.harborfreight.com/abrasive-blast-cabinet-68893.html

When it is on sale (like now) it is well worth the investment. Just make sure that when you assemble it, to use silicone sealer (regular dap stuff works fine) on all the joints. This will keep it air tight. This thing has been trucking along great for over three years now and makes short work of rusty parts. We made a dolly for ours to sit on, and we just roll it around wherever we need it. I would pass on the bench top variety, as you could find yourself wanting the extra room in the cabinet at some point. I was able to fit my 16 inch steelies in this one just fine.

Last edited by Signalocity on Fri Jul 17, 2015 2:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Signalocity
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SyncroBilly wrote:
X2. Been totally inspired by this restoration. Wish I was able to copy this. My build is more like a preservation

^5
Abelabelabel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Signalocity wrote:

Thanks for say so! My friend and I went halves on the floor cabinet from Harbor Freight ...

When it is on sale (like now) it is well worth the investment. Just make sure that when you assemble it, to use silicone sealer (regular dap stuff works fine) on all the joints. This will keep it air tight. This thing has been trucking along great for over three years now and makes short work of rusty parts. We made a dolly for ours to sit on, and we just roll it around wherever we need it. I would pass on the bench top variety, as you could find yourself wanting the extra room in the cabinet at some point. I was able to fit my 16 inch steelies in this one just fine.

Okay. For how much I spend on repairs, getting a cabinet makes a lot of sense. Sorry to continue on this tangent: What do you recommend as far as the actual "blasting" component, or how does that work? Can I just buy a blaster and stick the hose in to the chamber and letterrip?

I can take on small bits, local sand blasting when I started (and gave up on) restoring an old Fender Rhodes Piano were quite expensive.

Popcorn Popcorn Popcorn
SyncroBilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edit

Last edited by SyncroBilly on Sat Jul 18, 2015 6:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
SyncroBilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet hitch btw. A couple D-rings in front and back would look awesome!
Signalocity
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abelabelabel wrote:
Signalocity wrote:

Thanks for say so! My friend and I went halves on the floor cabinet from Harbor Freight ...

Okay. For how much I spend on repairs, getting a cabinet makes a lot of sense. Sorry to continue on this tangent: What do you recommend as far as the actual "blasting" component, or how does that work? Can I just buy a blaster and stick the hose in to the chamber and letterrip?

I can take on small bits, local sand blasting when I started (and gave up on) restoring an old Fender Rhodes Piano were quite expensive.

Popcorn Popcorn Popcorn

SyncroBilly wrote:
I found that aluminum oxide from harbor freight works very well. I modified a stand up cabinet when I started my van project last year. Just make sure you have a small shop vac sucking the dust out. I used a "dust deputy" just before my vac. It helps a lot with filters getting clogged.

You will probably want to add more lights inside cabinet and seal it too.

Don't breath that shit in. Not good for you Cool

No worries, all good information. I started off using glass media and then recently switched to the aluminum oxide as well. I felt like the glass media was breaking down too fast and turning into dust. You will see how it works when you put the pieces together. The V-shaped chamber at the bottom holds the media, with a fixed tube submerged in it. Once you connect the air source, you are good to go! The media falls back down through the grated bottom and the dust is vacuumed out. It's simple, but it works. You will find uses for it that you never thought of.
benandmj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Project Crunchie '87 Syncro Tin Top Overlander. (Pic Hea Reply with quote

I check this thread almost weekly, craving an update. What's the latest??
Signalocity
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 6:36 am    Post subject: Re: Project Crunchie '87 Syncro Tin Top Overlander. (Pic Hea Reply with quote

benandmj wrote:
I check this thread almost weekly, craving an update. What's the latest??

Thanks for checking up on me lol. The van is still at the body shop for the time being as there have been some delays, but it shouldn't be long now. I hope to have some updates flowing again by the end of the year. Hopefully it will be worth the wait!
Signalocity
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Project Crunchie '87 Syncro Tin Top Overlander. (Pic Hea Reply with quote

Now that things are starting to progress again, I thought it would be a good time to get back to updating the build thread. These updates might be a bit sporadic, as I have a ton going on at the moment, but I’ll try to be somewhat consistent.

Now that the mechanicals of the project had been dealt with, I had to finalize my plans for the body and how I wanted to proceed. I originally looked at the high-top offerings that were available, as I have always been drawn to the simplistic functionality of a fixed top with lots of room. Urban stealth camping is just as important to me as off grid adventures, and high-tops lend themselves well to both. To be honest, I also like the goofy uniqueness of a high-top. The stateside offerings were slim though, and I wasn’t bowled over by what was readily available.

I considered going the Westy pop-top clone route, but it wasn’t really a good option for me. I knew there was some value in doing so, but I just couldn’t sell myself on the idea. I looked into the other camper pop-top variations such as Riviera, Country Homes, as well as the smaller Reimo style standing room pop-up, but nothing took hold there either.

For a long time I settled on the idea of just leaving it a tin top and getting a roof-top tent set up with a safari basket. I was really drawn to the Auto-home U.S.A. Maggiolina tents, …

http://www.autohomeus.com/roof-top-tent/maggiolina-tent.php

but they are quite the investment unto themselves, even used ones command a pretty penny. I really enjoyed the idea of an adult style tree house with a ladder on the side of the van to gain access though. It was a simple and functional solution that appealed to me on a few different levels.

In the end though, John Charlton changed my mind when he redesigned the North American High Top, or N.A.H.T. The portal bump out and tiny window of the past design was pretty dated looking and a deal killer for me. I’m all for some retro influences, but others are just better left in decades past lol. The new tops still followed the lines and general shape of the Vangon and retained that vintage feel, but the removal of the portal bump and updating to a larger window really simplified the overall design and offered a much sleeker feel. Being 6’-2”, I also appreciated being able to stand up inside with a little room to spare. The overall design, size, and use of space seemed right to me and the top was back in that acceptable range of goofy uniqueness.

http://canadianhightops.ca/

I had a lot of initial questions for John, as I wanted to be clear on everything before making a commitment. I’ll say this though, John is very good at communicating, while discussing needs and concerns with his customers. His replies were timely and full of information, not just quippy responses. You can tell he has an affinity not just the tops, but for his clientele. After a lengthy E-mail string, I pulled the trigger. I felt like this was the best fit for myself and the van, so I placed my deposit when the next production run fired up.

While I was waiting on the top to work its way through the production process, I took a break, knowing it wasn’t going to last. I got the heads up from John that the plans had been set to deliver a load of tops to Valley Westys, in Staunton VA. If I remember correctly, it was over Valentine’s Day weekend … John really loves these vans. I couldn’t make it up there that same weekend, so unfortunately I didn’t get to meet up in person. I had touched base with Paul at Valley Westys beforehand, to arrange getting the top. Luckily, we have some mutual acquaintances, and common ground always eases things along. The goal was to come up the following Saturday, making the trip with my friend and his trailer. As the week progressed, Mother Nature proved she had other plans. The forecast was calling for a huge snow storm to run through Saturday evening. Not the news I wanted to here. We decided to go ahead with the plan, and just leave super early. Paul said he was fine on his end, no problem. Well, as the weekend drew nearer, the outlook was looking grimmer. The storm timeline was being pushed farther and farther forward with every ticking hour, making Saturday look like a bad idea. This bummed me out greatly, as I wouldn’t be able to make the trip up for a couple of more weeks, losing a lot of potential progress in the meantime. My good friend happened to be off that Friday and showed up to work with his truck, offering to make the trip up on his own, assuming he would have help loading the top on the other end. I was more than a bit taken aback at his offer, as I would have never asked, but was grateful none the less! The only snag was that his trailer was no longer an option. I called the U-Haul around the corner from my work, and they had a 12 footer ready to go. Lucky again. I paid for everything over the phone (If you go this route, just say you are moving stuff across town. I ended up paying like $35 for 24 hours. They seemingly don’t track anything mileage wise concerning trailers, but someone else I know paid $100+ for a similar trip.) and my friend left to pick it up. In the meantime, I was trying to get in touch with Paul to make sure this was ok with him. Naturally, I couldn’t get a hold of anyone lol. Feeling a bit frantic, I got in touch with one of our mutual acquaintances, who set me up with an alternate phone number. It turns out that Paul had a pipe burst at his place, due to an overnight freeze … I had to laugh at this point. Paul gave me a ring back assuring me Keith and others would be at the shop to help out, and he would be along eventually. I felt like a heel, but glad that this was still happening. So my friend set out late in the morning, trailer in tow. He made it there and back without issue, with the guys at Valley Westys helping make for a smooth turnaround. A huge thanks to them for that. Needless to say, I also took my friend out for a good meal with drinks later on that night.

insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Project Crunchie '87 Syncro Tin Top Overlander. (Pic Hea Reply with quote

A Vanagon, with Bostig conversion and a HiTop...I can relate Wink
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 31, 32, 33  Next
Jump to:
Page 22 of 33

Jump to: