Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Brakes Seized
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Phil911
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:23 am    Post subject: Brakes Seized Reply with quote

hi Volks Folks

This is not directly vw related but Im askin here cause you guys are awesome and very helpful and I'm at a loss now...

My wife's 2004 Sebring (sedan 6cyl) right rear brake was seized. Burned the pad off.

I changed both rear rotors, pads and the right rear caliper. Tested it, seemed ok.

She comes home after driving for a day, the same right rear is SMOKING!

all other brakes are fine, just the right rear.

Now what?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joe56vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

soft lines are probably bad they swell shut or close to it and stop the brake fluid from going back to the reservoir making the brakes stay on

but I don't know much about this brake system so this is just my opinion and replacing them is what I would do to test the theory since they are probably cheap and need replacing anyways Wink

why is there no sarcasism button on here?
awreed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

X2 on this ^^^^

I had a similar problem with the front discs on my 72 super. Take my foot off the brake and the calipers won't release completely. They eventually let go, but it would take about a minute. Problem was solved by replacing the flexible brake lines.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kamesama980
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, collapsing brake line. could be hard or soft lines but soft tend to go bad after a while even in the best of conditions and are easier to replace.

I'd say replace the car since a sebring's worth about as much as a set of brake lines but I know getting something else costs money too.
1994 Pontiac Firebird
2001 BMW R1200C
2003 Subaru Baja
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

also some cars had a plastic piston that was shit and swelled up. but probably the flex line or shite in claiper. also froze pins will do it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: