Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Odd starter
Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bugcollections
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 2:15 pm    Post subject: Odd starter Reply with quote

Ok, little help needed on odd starter. Putting a 6V starter in and digging through my stash of used Bosch 6v starters to find a good used one. Found one that looked good: It is in all respects a 6v starter; right size, right diameter shaft, correct gear; 6v solenoid: But, stamped on the housing where a normal 6v starter is stamped with the Bosch part # as 0001201001 and 6v05PS, it is stamped with a slightly different part # 0001208006 and 12v 05PS. Hmm, is this thing a 12V starter? Since it is going in a car with a 6V flywheel that has been converted to 12V I stick it in and crank the car. Sure enough; it is a 12V motor, not a 6V running on 12V.

So here is the question: Where in the heck did it originate? In all respects in appears to be an absolute original 6V Bosch starter, but has a 12V motor. I thought maybe some early 67 Type I when they were first converting to 12V and still had maybe a 6V flywheel. Or maybe the same circumstance for an early Type III 12V car. Have never seen one before to by knowledge. But it sure makes a great way to upgrade to a 12V starter on an old 6V car.

Have I got something that is really rare? Or just something I have never noticed before in my 50 + years of messing with VWs.
Richard Roth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buses could be custom ordered with a 12v system before 1967.

1966 Empi GTV MKIV
1954 Kabriolett Beetle
1953 Porsche 356 1500S
1957 Cable brake standard model
1962 cable brake standard model
1956 23 window Samba
1960 Austin Healey 3000
1961 Corvair Greenbrier
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bugcollections
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:51 pm    Post subject: starter Reply with quote

Thanks for the response Richard. It got me to thinking; yes the busses, probably as early as 62 could be built with M-Code M620; 12V electrics. VW must have had Bosch build a special 12V starter for the M620 busses. Not sure how many of them are around, but if we could find a supply it sure would solve an age-old problem of converting early 6V VWs to 12V without having to change the flywheel or run that fast spinning 6V starter on 6V. I have never seen one of these starters before, but it works great. Anyone else got one?
Aaron M265
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have owned 2 of these starters. I still own one of them and it's NOS from a VW dealer. Story was it was to suit a 12V M coded car in the early 1960's. I can provide some images at some stage. Never been fitted to a car.

http://1500notchback.blogspot.com/

Need to contact me? Email is faster than a PM - [email protected]

For T3 Panel Van information:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=389465
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tasb
The Distributor Distributor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hard to know for sure without a picture but Bosch was not the only supplier of electrical parts for VW. Starting as early as 1955 Garbe Lahmeyer had electrical items installed in VW's. If the housing has a VW stamp and lacks any Bosch designation it is likely a GL part.

1965 hardtop Deluxe Microbus owned since 1990 M 620 factory 12 v 1500cc

1961 (October)Single Cab- Road Trip Workhorse
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: