Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New to the board with a wiring nightmare
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bugman_Jeff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 2:35 am    Post subject: New to the board with a wiring nightmare Reply with quote

I recently picked up my first T3, a 71 Fastback. Solid and straight, though orange isn't my color. But it's so much cooler than the Baja it replaced.

Anyway, I won't get into the story leading me up to this point, other than the frustration of having the car 4 months and driving it maybe 4 times. The rest of the time it has sat while I threw money and parts at it. Mad

Ripped out the ailing FI and put on brand new Weber 34's. Went seveal rounds with the shop that rebuilt my generator about why it wasn't charging. (He kept blaming the electrical system) Sooooo.... I rewired the whole rear of the car after finding a clump of burnt wires near the voltage regulator, only to discover....

A massive clump of wires cooked together coming out of the ignition switch. (D'OH!! Shouldda checked the rest of the system first I guess. Embarassed ) Dunno how it ran actually. The PO was in there recently since the ignition switch appears new.

And then the biggest problem surfaced. The wires out of my ign switch don't exactly match my wiring diagrams. I have a copy of the diagram from a Mitchel's manual, and I have the Bently book on it. And these wires were burnt bad enough that I am uncertain if they were in the right places in the first place. And the books have discrepencies to each other and to the car! Confused

So to be certain, I pulled the column apart. The wires I have on my switch are as follows:

Circuit 30 (12 ga Red) - Assuming this is bat power into the sw.
Circuit 50 (14 ga Red/Bk) - Clearly went to the starter (My only absolute)
Circuit "X" (Blk/Yel) - To hazzard sw?
Circuit "S" (Blue/Brn) - To the dimmer sw?
Circuit 15 (blk) - To the fuse panel for keyed power?
Circuit "P" (grey) - Mystery wire.

Can anyone help me sort out this mess? Confused I'm about to just finish wiring the car "my way". (The rear already is. Who needs those 1000 or so German engineers and their years of research? Laughing ) And if anyone has rewired one, any advice? I'd like to mount the fuses in an easier to reach location, and use ATC blade style fuses. And have room for expansion, like stero equipment, power accessories, additional lights, etc. But before I go that far I'd do the alternator conversion on it of course.

Any help that you could provide would be greatly appreciated. Very Happy Thanks! Very Happy

Jeff
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Classifieds Feedback
blankmange
Type 3 Darksider

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 3:00 am    Post subject: Re: New to the board with a wiring nightmare Reply with quote

Bugman_Jeff wrote:
Ripped out the ailing FI and put on brand new Weber 34's.

what did you do with the FI that was ripped off?

Certified DHS Technician

Samba Member # 24517
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tomnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you looked at the wiring diagrams here on this site?

DVKK

DSD, Dark Side Disciples
Progenitor
Mr. Bubblehead
El Chupa Nibre

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 5:18 am    Post subject: Re: New to the board with a wiring nightmare Reply with quote

blankmange wrote:
Bugman_Jeff wrote:

Yeah I'd be interested in buying it!
Samba Member #4862
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
blankmange
Type 3 Darksider

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 6:29 am    Post subject: Re: New to the board with a wiring nightmare Reply with quote

Mr. Bubblehead wrote:
blankmange wrote:
Bugman_Jeff wrote:

stand in line, buddy... Smile

Certified DHS Technician

Samba Member # 24517
Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: New to the board with a wiring nightmare Reply with quote

blankmange wrote:
Mr. Bubblehead wrote:
blankmange wrote:
Bugman_Jeff wrote:

stand in line, buddy... Smile

"Take a number for quicker service"

I have number 3.

I have the wiring diagrams on my web site too.
http://classicvw.org/gallery/partsbook?page=1

Gary: OK. Ima poop.
seans67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I can't help you with your wiring, I hate electrical problems/
But I will be number 4 in line for any bits that are left from the FI.

'71 Squareback '71 Porsche 914 ‘80 Camper '87 Syncro Weekender 1.8T '87 Wolfsburg Weekender '97 Toyota Land Cruiser ‘03 Audi A6 Quattro 3.0 ‘04 Audi A4 Avant Quattro 1.8T ‘05 Audi A4 Quattro 3.0
‘06 Porsche Cayenne Turbo S
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: New to the board with a wiring nightmare Reply with quote

Bugman_Jeff wrote:
So to be certain, I pulled the column apart. The wires I have on my switch are as follows:

Circuit 30 (12 ga Red) - Assuming this is bat power into the sw.
Circuit "X" (Blk/Yel) - To hazzard sw?
Circuit "S" (Blue/Brn) - To the dimmer sw?
Circuit 15 (blk) - To the fuse panel for keyed power?
Circuit "P" (grey) - Mystery wire.

Can anyone help me sort out this mess? Confused

Any help that you could provide would be greatly appreciated. Very Happy Thanks! Very Happy

Jeff

The circuit "X" goes to the fuse box/battery connection. It's set up this way, so that when you turn off the ignition, you turn off the head lights (to save the battery). Circuit 15 is to power the coil in the engine compartment. The rest you seem to have correct, and the mystery wire (circuit "P") was for the key buzzer warning. I hope this helps.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Air-Cooled Head
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the board Jeff, and the wonderful world of old T3's.
Wow, you made some of the most knowledgable folks on here fight over your FI without answering your questions. Not that I am. I'm going through exactly what you are, maybe just a little ahead of you.

The "P" mystery wire is for parking lights, and goes to the fuse block.
Black 15 is from the coil, also to fuse block.
S is T/S indicator, goes to flasher relay
Blk/Yellow should be H/L to fuse block, but you could be right.

Hope this helps.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Air-Cooled Head wrote:

The "P" mystery wire is for parking lights, and goes to the fuse block.
Black 15 is from the coil, also to fuse block.
S is T/S indicator, goes to flasher relay
Blk/Yellow should be H/L to fuse block, but you could be right.

Right head lite low beam is yellow with black tracer. X terminal is Black with yellow tracer. It is accessory's, including headlites with the key on.
"P" is for the european parking lights I believe, or the key buzzer.

Bugman_Jeff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone. For the record, I'm not new to VW's. I built a couple of pretty cool Bajas before deciding they aren't so practical for the DD. Pops drives a beautiful orange 74 Westy, and my older brother has 2 71 Westys (one I sold him), one of which is slammed. I'll post some pictures at another time.

So if I have this right, my wiring should be like this, with remaining mystery questions highlighted:

Circuit 30 (12 ga Red) - Battery power in from fuse block
Circuit "X" (Blk/Yel) - To fuse box, but where, keyed or battery power?
Circuit "S" (Blue/Brn) - To somewhere on the flasher relay?
Circuit 15 (blk) - To the fuse panel for keyed power. I assume this is power out then?
Circuit "P" (grey) - Key buzzer. (Makes sense, sicne I found one of those and park lights sould be a function of the headlight sw,.... I think Confused )

I had scoped out the diagrams here, but they appeared to be from the same sources as I already had, which were contradicting each other and my car. Rolling Eyes But I appreciate the timely response. Gas for my Scout (current DD) is killin me! And sorry guys, I'm hangin on to the FI stuff. One never knows when the technology will come that will allow us all to return to FI. I know I would rather run that, but it has to be reliable.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Classifieds Feedback
Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bugman_Jeff wrote:

Circuit 30 (12 ga Red) - Battery power in from fuse block
Circuit "X" (Blk/Yel) - To fuse box, but where, keyed or battery power?

Should be to the 3 fuse from the steering column.

Circuit "S" (Blue/Brn) - To somewhere on the flasher relay?

I am not seeing a brown/blue coming out of the column, I see "S" going to the horn.

Circuit 15 (blk) - To the fuse panel for keyed power. I assume this is power out then?
Circuit "P" (grey) - Key buzzer. (Makes sense, sicne I found one of those and park lights sould be a function of the headlight sw,.... I think Confused )

Try the '72 wiring diagram on my web site. It is 2 pages, but is it is a fanfold, and hard to scan. http://classicvw.org/gallery/partsbook?page=3

I had scoped out the diagrams here, but they appeared to be from the same sources as I already had, which were contradicting each other and my car. Rolling Eyes But I appreciate the timely response. Gas for my Scout (current DD) is killin me! And sorry guys, I'm hangin on to the FI stuff. One never knows when the technology will come that will allow us all to return to FI. I know I would rather run that, but it has to be reliable.

My '71 FI is more dependable than any carbed engine I have owned. Starts on demand. Even after sitting for 6 months.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: