Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Hot Rod 40hp Stroker with 1300 heads build
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
lugbolt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 3:47 pm    Post subject: Hot Rod 40hp Stroker with 1300 heads build Reply with quote

Trying to get everything figured out to build a 40hp stroker motor with 1300 heads. I've looked at numerous build posts, but couldn't find a concise answer to some of my questions.

Here are the specs

1965 Case
83mm Big Bore Mahle Pistons
40hp Rods (Clearanced)
69mm Volksracer Scat Counterweighted Crank
Scat C25 Cam Kit
NOS 1300 Heads
1.1:1 Pro Street Rockers
Chromo Flywheel
Weber 34 ICTs

Goal 8:1 Compression

Questions
1. What (if any) shims do I need to place under the barrels? Where to buy?

Anything I need to watch out for?

Need to confirm that I need 1500 tin, 1500/1600 pushrods & tubes, 1300-1600 exhaust

Thanks for your help in advance
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
steve simons
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lugbolt,
I'm anxious to see how your build turns out! I did a similar motor about 2 years ago, without the stroker crank. My original plan was almost identical to yours, but a rebuilt '65 long block turned up, and I didn't really want to "violate" my (original to the car) '65 1200. Prior to that, I had one of my sons cut a set of spacers on a water jet out of 3/16 brass (pretty close to the 5mm that you will need, unless Mahle makes a stroker 40hp big bore kit)
I would try either CB performance or Gene Berg for spacers, and i'm sure they could help you with the correct thickness to achieve your compression goal.

If you plan on using a doghouse cooler, its a pretty simple conversion. (do a search) you will need to add a captive nut at the upper left mounting point. I was fortunate enough to be able to borrow an adjustable reamer to achieve about a .003" press fit (I'm going by memory here, so if i'm wrong anybody that's done this please chime in, as I don't want to hear that you cracked the ear off your case)

With the 69 mm stroke, 1300 to 1600 tin will be needed, as well as 1300 to 1600 exhaust. You may want to use a 36 hp style shroud, as it will give you lots more clearance for carbs and air cleaners. If you are wanting to keep with the vintage theme (hence the thread) late 50's oil bath air cleaners fit the 34 ict webbers like a glove.

I updated to 12 volt, and use a 12v solenoid on the 6v starter to keep from chewing up the ring gear. If you want to keep the look of the 6v generator, you can make a simple plate with a threaded hole to fit inside the cooling vent, and attach the voltage regulator to the generator.

I will try to post some pic's (not too good at this stuff) or just e-mail me and I'll send you some direct.

Good luck! Steve
anthracitedub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The shims for the barrels will need to be .100, depending on what deck height you want, this may change slightly. I had to make my own there were none to be found to purchase.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bugmandave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I built a 69 X 83 and used the stock 40hp tins. I used .100 shims under the barrels and ended up with .017 deck. the heads were cc'd for 7.9:1 comp. I also used the stock 40hp intake and exhaust, 40hp pushrod tubes but cut down 1600 pushrods and used 1.1:1 rockers. Its a "sleeper" I wanted it to appear bone stock for my stock resto 63 vert but I might end up using an .019 and a 30 PICT 1 if it needs it. I just did the break in on it and it sounds really nice. I had the shims made by rimco and I don't think it was that expensive
'63 Karmann Cabriolet L54 Poppy Red
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Hot Rod 40hp Stroker with 1300 heads build Reply with quote

Hi lug bolt I just got down building my hot rod 40 hp motor .i just got it running today .it sounds bad ass lol I looked at the 1300 heads. And a set of1965 40 hp heads . The intake side of the head on the 1300 heads is not that much bigger than the intake side of the 40 hp heads .after seeing that I went with the 40 hp heads I ported them and cut the seats for bigger valves I cut a set of SS valves .down to the size I needed. And ended up with a set of 34 mm intakes and a set of 31 mm ex. Valves I cut the heads for dual springs I then cut the heads for almost 9.1 cr I used 83 cyls and a 40 hp crank deep sump straight cut gears scat C 25 cam 30 mm oil pump nos 40 hp rods vanguard dual carb set up with two pic30 carbs a 009 dizy I like the way a 40 hp crank revs up super fast .its got I am a bad ass motor sound to it lol lol it's going into my vintage formula vee vanguard bobsy .imust say it's been a hard to build motor just finding the right parts is a lot of work . But all worth it allso I wanted the stock 40 hp look good luck on your build your going to like your motor two .
lugbolt wrote:
Trying to get everything figured out to build a 40hp stroker motor with 1300 heads. I've looked at numerous build posts, but couldn't find a concise answer to some of my questions.

Here are the specs

1965 Case
83mm Big Bore Mahle Pistons
40hp Rods (Clearanced)
69mm Volksracer Scat Counterweighted Crank
Scat C25 Cam Kit
NOS 1300 Heads
1.1:1 Pro Street Rockers
Chromo Flywheel
Weber 34 ICTs

Goal 8:1 Compression

Questions
1. What (if any) shims do I need to place under the barrels? Where to buy?

Anything I need to watch out for?

Need to confirm that I need 1500 tin, 1500/1600 pushrods & tubes, 1300-1600 exhaust

Thanks for your help in advance

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jacks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMHO, when 1300 heads are used, It ends up looking like a 1500, not like a 40hp engine Embarassed
1960vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What valve settings are you using on your set-up? >004,.006?
lugbolt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:48 pm    Post subject: Finally getting moving Reply with quote

It's been a while on this without movement - finally sent off the case and heads to Rimco today. Very excited to build this and get it running in my Ghia.

BTW if you don't like the "look" not being 40hp - you won't be a fan of the CSP valve covers and pushrod tubes. Interesting and fun are the only "looks" I care about. You might like the original Empi Globe deep sump - I like mixing and matching....
62 Sliding Rag (Hot VW's)
60 DOKA
65 DOKA
55 Bug
70 914-6
78 Puma
59 Ghia
56 Cabriolet
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: