Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Worth pulling home?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> 411/412 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do the front fenders look? Also.....not far off I am about to test a dash refurb method that employs.....sanding down the original texture and finish and making the original vinyl as thin, smooth and even as possible....then filling any cracks with glass filled RTV.....sanding and blocking smooth. Then spraying a thin single layer of pliable truck bed liner.....then flocking the wet surface with washed, sieved and tumbled smooth... clay aggregate of the approximate size and shape of the original texture.....then a last filler layer of pliajle truck bed liner fo encapsulate and smooth the aggregate into a, pebble finish similar to factory.

Then a final color layer with duplo dash of bumper paint. It may not look exact..
but should be nice and look molded.

I would rather not have to experiment on my only dash......so a dash in most any condition would be welcome. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do the front fenders look? Also.....not far off I am about to test a dash refurb method that employs.....sanding down the original texture and finish and making the original vinyl as thin, smooth and even as possible....then filling any cracks with glass filled RTV.....sanding and blocking smooth. Then spraying a thin single layer of pliable truck bed liner.....then flocking the wet surface with washed, sieved and tumbled smooth... clay aggregate of the approximate size and shape of the original texture.....then a last filler layer of pliajle truck bed liner fo encapsulate and smooth the aggregate into a, pebble finish similar to factory.

Then a final color layer with duplo dash of bumper paint. It may not look exact..
but should be nice and look molded.

I would rather not have to experiment on my only dash......so a dash in most any condition would be welcome. Ray
[
Edit...sorry...forgot to look at your original pics....front fenders are shot.....snd its a 411 anyway. But that rear bumper is smooth. I would take that if no one has dibs. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
titan3c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 5:46 am    Post subject: worth pulling home Reply with quote

Don't know if you got my earlier msg, but my main interest in parts would be the tail light lenses, side view mirrors, side moldings(depending on how dinged they are), and the rubber flap on the gas fill(it protects the fender while filling with gas), if still there. I had mentioned earlier about the rear bumper that looks great, but I see Ray is interested, and I don't really need it. BTW the Ghia rear bumper is the same ---- check it out. My rear bumper came off of a Ghia. I'm wondering if the front Ghia bumper is the same. If I had the opportunity to go over your find, there are other small detailed items I probably would be interested in. So I'm considering coming up there, it's about 250 miles from me. Bob
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: worth pulling home Reply with quote

titan3c wrote:
Don't know if you got my earlier msg, but my main interest in parts would be the tail light lenses, side view mirrors, side moldings(depending on how dinged they are), and the rubber flap on the gas fill(it protects the fender while filling with gas), if still there. I had mentioned earlier about the rear bumper that looks great, but I see Ray is interested, and I don't really need it. BTW the Ghia rear bumper is the same ---- check it out. My rear bumper came off of a Ghia. I'm wondering if the front Ghia bumper is the same. If I had the opportunity to go over your find, there are other small detailed items I probably would be interested in. So I'm considering coming up there, it's about 250 miles from me. Bob

Nope...if you need a bumper its yours. I have one...just looking from spares point of view. Ray
budnick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No gas cap flap.
budnick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Started on the teardown
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The radio has been asked for already

but the other dash stuff is available

raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you pull the,entire dash it makes gettimg all 9r whats underneath easy to get to.

I am about to restore my dash in the spring with a new method. It would be nice to have another core so if others ask for the same treatment I can,swap it out,with them. The switches would be nice to have as well. Ray.
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cut the A,B,C,D pillars at the bottom of the windows & sell the complete sunroof clip to the highest bidder. There are water drains for the sunroof in the pillars that you want to try to save/include. You also have air conditioning components to sell.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That steering,wheel is also unique....71 and down only. Ray
19super73
Hardcore Stock Nazi

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

budnick wrote:
Started on the teardown

You sir have balls the size of basketballs to be using cinder blocks and a tire as a stop wedge.
1973 Super Beetle
1973 Westfalia [url=https://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-31892.png]Click to view image[/URL]
1974 412 Variant
1975 La Grande Bug
1984 Vanagon
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its really not so bad.....though cinder blocks are a bit risky.......there is very little for weight north the of the front seats.
Mine is blocked up largely the same way.....three 8 foot long 2" x 6" boards lag bolted together snd sitting on a pair of harbor freight motorcycle stands....layed across the front fire eall area just aft of the T sub frame....pair of chocks behind the rear wheels ....been there for close to 2 years. Smile Ray
budnick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are concrete blocks Rolling Eyes
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some say tamato some say tomato .
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

budnick wrote:
They are concrete blocks Rolling Eyes

Its old and probably regional terminology......cinder blocks= concrete blocks Very Happy .....just looking out for your safety.....but you will be just fine.
The front end of the 411......really the whole front half of the car.....is pretty light. The car weighs about 2200.. You have about 700+ in the rear just in components....and half the sheet metal about 500-600 lbs.....and maybe 225-250 in the front in components including the dash......and maybe 500-600 in sheet metal....divided right down the middle of the car at the front seat rails.

Not too much weight.

These cars are kind of intrresting to rip apart like you are doing. Its the very best way to really learn your way around them. Find anything interesting yet? Ray
budnick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was ment as a joke hence the eye rolling Rolling Eyes

Besides, not much to hold up now.

raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow!......thats some serious stripping! Very Happy Ray
budnick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my hurry to get things done I never said what stopped me from trying to save this car. The car had all the rusted panels a carpet pieces hanging down. I did see the full extent of the damage. It was lifted by the center under the shifter at some point after it was not driven. I could not get it out of gear because the belly pan is bent up about 6 inches from level, taking the shift linkage with it. I could not even remove the linkage after removing the engine.
Out of all of the rust issues the real surprise is the rear apron is small dent away from perfect.
budnick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I figured there would be more requests for small parts. So far only two interested parties. And not a word about the sunroof. Parts are going to the classified section as soon as I get time. I just want these parts to go to those that need them.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

budnick wrote:
I figured there would be more requests for small parts. So far only two interested parties. And not a word about the sunroof. Parts are going to the classified section as soon as I get time. I just want these parts to go to those that need them.

I would not expect to get any interest for sunroof parts in the US. There were virtually none shipped here......if any. It was a very expensive option for the day from what i have heard. It may not even have been offered here. Same with power brakes.

The only people who might be interested are the few with very good welding skills wantjng to add an entire sunroof clip into the car.

I would be surprised also about no requests for the little parts. I keep telling type 4 owners to collect the little parts and put them in buckets. They will eventually need them. Ray
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> 411/412 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: