Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Is it worth it?
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
strelnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:20 am    Post subject: Is it worth it? Reply with quote

Is it worth it to put dual carbs and intake manifolds on a 1600cc stock, but strong T1 engine for a Thing?

I have noticed in a lot of vehicles that the easiest way to squeeze better performance out of an engine without modding everything is to

1. Keep absolutely EVERYTHING in tune at all times
2. Upgrade the fuel system and the exhaust before increasing the displacement

Don't get me wrong, I have no problem doing mods; right now I'm looking to put various diesel engines into various Citroens and a 1948 DeSoto limo.

I just wonder if a VW Thing would be best served by keeping it in tune and giving it all the fuel it might need to strut its stuff on the open road.

Your suggestions please!

I also wonder if the exhaust set-up is limiting power and could be changed to make more air and power go through the engine.

The engine I have is a type 1600 dual relief, dual port.

Thanks!
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's your goal? Ease of maintenance? Better economy? More quickness? More top end speed?
strelnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oasis wrote:
What's your goal? Ease of maintenance? Better economy? More quickness? More top end speed?

Ability to drive on the freeway and in town. The 181 has good economy already.
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a thread a few months back about mild mods for much of the same desired results. My conclusion for me (all suggestions and information were good) is I will likely try a Beetle-geared transaxle and I might goose the displacement to 1776 when it's time for a rebuild. The latter part may also come down to a cost/size analysis.

Since that thread took place, Thing was tuned again along with new ball joints and bigger tires on wider rims, and darn if it didn't do much better on the interstate when I picked my wife up at the airport. My thoughts on the subject haven't changed but my internal sense of urgency is no longer there.

Anyway, I'll let the more knowledgeable folks discuss the merits of dual carbs and manifolds. I will certainly stay tuned to this thread as well.
kubelmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VW air cooled optimum engine design is derived by starting with the desired outcome and combining various parts to achieve your goal. Since the Thing share the same motor with a number of other air cooled VWs (and since this is not a Thing specific question) the best place to get great help with the design such an engine is over at the:
Performance - Engines/Transmissions.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewforum.php?f=12

The moderator is Glenn (also a Thing guy) and a great VW resource. I have used that forum a number of times to work out engine design issues that were not specific to Derr Thang. As a general statement though, my personal favorite general purpose VW air cooled motor is the 1776 full flow case with a 110 cam, stock heads/valves, fat boy exhaust with a single Zenith 32ndix with single plenum intake.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
citroen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine is still what I have in mine 1776 stock heads and valves with a hemi cut 100 cam stock carb bugpack dual mufflers stock bug transmission 4 years 18,000 miles and counting check out the Domeck Brothers thing website for pictures Kubel Treffen 181.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Guys&gals, I drifted in from the other forums Very Happy
Dual 40 IDF's(28vents/F11 e-tubes,115mains,200airs 50 idles)
W110 cam
port the heads (fluff & buff) Wink HD single springs
Balance everthing!! CW cranks will let it rev without pounding out the center mains Laughing
And a decent Header( small choice for u 181 guys Crying or Very sad )
you will get the same MPG as before probably better Wink depending on the right foot Laughing and be able to pass modern cars Cool
,Cheers,Madmike
76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
"If I'm ever on Life Support,UNPLUG Me, Then Plug me back In see if that Works"
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: