Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Browser flash support quickly disappearing
Forum Index -> Site Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
talljordan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:11 pm    Post subject: Browser flash support quickly disappearing Reply with quote

Today chrome brought to my attention the fact that flash and other NPAPI plugins will no longer be supported very soon:
https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/6213033

This follows the trend of websites and browsers slowly attempting to strangle the life out of the relic of the 90s that is flash, and replacing it with more modern options like HTML5.

I should note that this isn't just chrome. Other browsers have committed to fully dropping flash support in the coming years.

Since theSamba relies on flash, will this affect us? Support is dropping within a matter of weeks/months for chrome (the most popular browser in the world).

I am assuming that the only thing relying on flash still are the ads. Which while it may not really irritate the user if they don't work, this would fundamentally hit your bottom line, and I want to see theSamba sustain itself for years to come.

Is there a plan for this?

Wanted: Male computer diagnostic plug end
kreemoweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

talljordan wrote:
... theSamba relies on flash ...

How do you figure? I've NEVER had flash installed in my Firefox browser, since 2008, and thesamba.com seems fully functional to me!

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
talljordan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kreemoweet wrote:
talljordan wrote:
... theSamba relies on flash ...

How do you figure? I've NEVER had flash installed in my Firefox browser, since 2008, and thesamba.com seems fully functional to me!

My browser reported it to me. I blindly trusted it. I suppose its possible it had a false positive? But unlikely.

EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is No Flash here except for some banners.

Chrome still shows these banners through it's own mechanisms.

From the link above:
Quote:
Plugins that use a newer, more secure system called Pepper API (PPAPI) will continue to work, including those that come with Chrome, like Adobe Flash and PDF Viewer.

It sounds like they still support Flash but through a different method.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sooner Flash is gone the better.

My wife uses a school website that uses Flash. It is written in a way so as the require the latest update EVERY time it is accessed. Since there are Flash updates at least weekly, this means she is blocked EVERY time she logs on until she upgrades, even if the site does not use the new features. It is a major security risk to be "upgrading" so often and especially to use the embedded links, so you have to go to the Adobe homepage and dig for it. It also does not use the standard Apple app for upgrading, another security risk. A major PITA when you have time-sensitive work to do. And of course the security is sadly lacking.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just uninstalled my "external" Flash installation on my computer and Chrome still works fine.

It shows all the Flash banners here and I have a Flash game I play from time to time and that loaded and played fine too.

Chrome has built in Flash support through the "new" method mentioned in the link above.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
schwim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to Adobe's latest dev roadmap update, flash isn't going anywhere anytime soon. Thanks mainly to DRM mechanisms that are still lacking in HTML 5, there's a continued place at the table for the technology.

Chrome's self-contained Pepperflash will get updated for the foreseeable future and if you're one of the 8 of us on the site that use *nix, you can used pepperflash in browsers other than Chrome thanks to the FreshPlayerPlugin, taking you from the antique version of 11.x into the current 18.x.
talljordan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

schwim wrote:
According to Adobe's latest dev roadmap update, flash isn't going anywhere anytime soon. Thanks mainly to DRM mechanisms that are still lacking in HTML 5, there's a continued place at the table for the technology.

Chrome's self-contained Pepperflash will get updated for the foreseeable future and if you're one of the 8 of us on the site that use *nix, you can used pepperflash in browsers other than Chrome thanks to the FreshPlayerPlugin, taking you from the antique version of 11.x into the current 18.x.

Yeah of course adobe is going to keep pushing flash. Its their own shitty product...

That doesn't mean that browsers and OS's are going to continue supporting it.

schwim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chrome said they're dropping support for the The Netscape Plug-in API, which has nothing to do with flash, just the API used for utilizing the plugin. Chrome now wraps flash and Silverlight into their browser to allow for OS agnostic installs. This gives them the freedom to leave the plugin API behind.

I've seen absolutely nothing from any browser vendor about dropping flash support(not to be confused with mobile flash).
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Site All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: