Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

swapping out a SB head frame for a BJ head frame question
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sweetguth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 12:50 pm    Post subject: swapping out a SB head frame for a BJ head frame question Reply with quote

Hey guys,

I have a 1972 SB that I am trying to work with in doing a manx style project. The McPherson suspension is too big for the fiberglass body to fit. So I just got a head frame and BJ suspension of a 1968 beetle. So its time for some cutting and welding....

Has anyone done this our know the best way to do this? I am guessing that one would cut the head frame on Super Bettle a few inches in front of the Napoleon hat on the Super Bettle and go from there.

Any advice is welcome.
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would drill the spot welds. Have you done this kind of work before?

bnc
sweetguth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have done some metal work and welding in the past. I can't find any of the old adapter kits they use to make for this conversion so my options are limited.

Are the spot welds easy to recognize ?
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the best job I've seen of putting a BJ frame head on a SB chassis. Doing it the way Saint did it uses more of the thicker steel in the superbeetle framehead and actually makes a stronger chassis than the factory

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=536116
HeidelbergJohn4.0
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I converted a '71 SB to ball joint. we cut all sb metal away about 3" forward of hte nap hat, drilled out the welds on the bottom plate, separated it from the nap hat. The remnants of the SB frame head slipped right into the BJ frame head. we aligned the bottom plate with the nap hat, then measured about 10 x to ensure square and welded all the seams and plug welded the drilled out spot welds on the nap hat.

I helped my brother in law do a BJ to Link pin that was no different, but the frame head wasn't as good quality so aligning it before welding was a bear.

After your first few tack welds, install a beam and re-check everything for square.

Also, If using new metal for the frame head, don't forget the hole in the FH for the fuel line. They aren't always there in the replacement metal. Don't ask how I know Wink
Machette Speedster
2012 Passat TDI SE (sadly sitting in a buyback parking lot somewhere waiting for it's heart to be ripped out.)
sweetguth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks fellows!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: