Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Input on Possible Purchase
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:07 am    Post subject: Input on Possible Purchase Reply with quote

This is for sale here and I feel it is slightly over priced. I have obtained additional photos. So what I am asking is what would you offer for the vehicle. I can answer some question about the car.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1809955

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
Letterman7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't. Not knowing any rust issues, just from the photos that's a $4-5K car here on the east coast all day long.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gordon - did she send any photos of the engine, does it look pretty complete? The engine noise could be something as simple as an exhaust leak that scares her. I looked at the exterior photos, looks pretty decent.

Counter-offer her, tell her you will arrive with cash and make it easy transition; also tell her about your own VWs, she'll want it to have a good home (guy sellers just think about the cash !).

Sometimes a mechanic will scare someone into selling, sometimes while trying to upsell them. Way back in 1972, the original owner of my 1970 VW had been told (in writing) by VW dealer at "free" check up that he needed to have his engine rebuilt, because it had loose cylinder heads, in other words, the little seepage most of us are used to.

Yesterday, while picking up a belt at O'Reilly, a young guy had come from WalMart auto, they told him a Mini he just bought had bad threads at the oil drain plug, someone had siliconed it to slow leakage, and they told him he needed a new oil pan (hundreds of dollars). I led him to the oversized drain plugs, told him to try those, and if not tap to the next largest (even SAE) size. There's many ways to fix that, and best to avoid it by doing your own oil changes and not letting Gomer or Goober do it.

1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
AZ Landshaper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:56 am    Post subject: Where's Aztec Reply with quote

I have to look at the location. This isnt in Phoenix or San D. Its in BFE. Are you near there? Is anything near there?
It will cost 500 to have it shipped from there to just about anyplace.
There are better deals out there when u consider the difficulty in getting this car from there to here.

Edit:
I see you may be in that neck of the woods. If so id start my offers at 1000. When that fails find out what they need. Maybe they owe 2000 to a cartel and cant budge.
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a good deal------and you know it. Most of the folks in Aztec, N.M.are far from wealthy, so why beat the poor woman down? Take your towbar and 20 Benjamins and head on over there. Karma will favor you.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iowegian wrote:
Most of the folks in Aztec, N.M.are far from wealthy...

Personally, I know only one person in Aztec, and she's a former boss of mine, and has retired there, and she's fine financially.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
iowegian wrote:
Most of the folks in Aztec, N.M.are far from wealthy...

Personally, I know only one person in Aztec, and she's a former boss of mine, and has retired there, and she's fine financially.

Fine.
I was just making a generalization based on published demographics, so shoot me.
My point was------why does everyone always have to say "offer half of what the seller is asking"? If the price is fair (which it very well might be in this case), pay it. If it is a total piece of crap, just turn around and go back home.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iowegian wrote:

I was just making a generalization based on published demographics, so shoot me.
My point was------why does everyone always have to say "offer half of what the seller is asking"? If the price is fair (which it very well might be in this case), pay it. If it is a total piece of crap, just turn around and go back home.

I was just teasing you. Actually, Aztec, NM is like the only decent spot to live in, in like the whole state of New Mexico, it's like a little oasis on the Animas River, maybe 45 minutes south of Durango, CO.

If it wasn't 3.5 hours of driving just to get to where gt1953 lives, I'd be drivin' with him over to NM right now to pick it up. I agree: if the price is fair, no need to try to beat down someone, there's no way everybody can always feel like "they won". The Pawn Stars TV show is good, can learn negotiation skills from Rick Harrison, who's pretty good at it, yet rarely offends the potential seller.
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually its ever bit of a five hour drive one way. Yes I have a tow bar and magnetic lights as well as the 20 Bens. You know how us VW people are, cheap!
She has told me in writing that the engine does knock and they quit driving it. We all know what a decent not cheap engine cost. I will stew on this for a lil while then see what it will take to possibly get it.
yes I also realize east of the Mississippi river you folks drool over these dry bodies out west.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gt1953 wrote:
Actually its ever bit of a five hour drive one way. Yes I have a tow bar and magnetic lights as well as the 20 Bens. You know how us VW people are, cheap!
She has told me in writing that the engine does knock and they quit driving it. We all know what a decent not cheap engine cost. I will stew on this for a lil while then see what it will take to possibly get it.
yes I also realize east of the Mississippi river you folks drool over these dry bodies out west.

I am actually west of the Mississippi---------------but I can see it from my bathroom window. (I am not making this up). Wink
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gt1953 wrote:

After a $1000 rebuild and some extra sundries- you end up with a $3000 car. So $2k asking sounds fair. If she is flexible with half of your flat towing gas bill for the day- offer $1900 and consider it a fair deal all around.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any update ?
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:03 pm    Post subject: advice Reply with quote

Buy it or I might, well worth 2K if the body is actually as good in person as the pics.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Currently still in negotiation with the seller and expect another answer today Thursday so they have told me. So hang back as I do have the first right of refusal.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok who would like to assist me in convincing the seller to meet me on my offer.
The vehicle needs an engine right out of the box, not able to test without a running engine. Cannot test trans, or brakes or steering, anything for that matter that moves the car down the road. We have all heard the story it shifted fine, it never pops out of gear, oh it stops on a dime with five cents in change. So hmmm.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gt1953 wrote:
Ok who would like to assist me in convincing the seller to meet me on my offer.
The vehicle needs an engine right out of the box, not able to test without a running engine. Cannot test trans, or brakes or steering, anything for that matter that moves the car down the road. We have all heard the story it shifted fine, it never pops out of gear, oh it stops on a dime with five cents in change. So hmmm.

So is the engine locked up?

If not....and items like the battery and fuel pump work...I see no reason a basic VW guys with a ditty bag of used points condensor, cap rotor and a can of WD-40 cant make it run enough to check it out.

In this day and age....if it had no engine....and the shocks and ball joints were shot...and even the brakes were crap.....if its straight, never been wrecked and has no rust.....its worth 2K as it is.

Ray
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pull the trigger. If not buy it for me and I'll drive out to pick it up.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: