Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My 63 Bug "Darrel" Back on the road after 34 years
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vwlovr73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some fun stuff happened this past week. First off, the bug has a name. Darrel. I updated the thread title to reflect it.

I took the turn signal switch off but was unable to repair it (it won't stay on - I have to hold it on). When I reassembled it all clean and set to jet, it actually did work...once. Then slowly slid out of position and disengaged itself. Ah well. Here's what that looked like inside.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

But on the bright side, we have a horn ring. And yeah it's a repro. But it isn't BROKEN. So it's an improvement.

Now on to a topic from a couple pages ago. I have done a LOT of searching for a driver seat for my bug. I've looked on the classifieds (no one will ship to me in north dakota, I've found after several emails to people). I've looked regionally (everything is so. rusty.). I just can't find one. So I took the advice from another forum and attempted to swap the knobs around. Had some success. Here are pics, I tried to be detailed in case anyone else has this problem. Wink

Here's what I started with. This is the original passenger seat from the car, but has been on the driver side since I bought it. The seat on the passenger side is also a passenger seat, from a different car I guess. (I know this is the original seat--or at least strongly assume it is--because it has the OG upholstery that matches what's on the rear seat back and what Darrel's 'birth certificate' says.)

Little pin on the adjustment lever side, had to pound that out. Still it needed some PB blaster and a bit of persistence to get it off after taking the pin out.

So here's where you're going to run in to issues doing this. At least with my seat, each side of the adjustment mechanism has a semi-circular groove in it. There is a protruding piece of metal from the seat frame that meet up with the groove on each side. You can just barely see the piece of metal in my pic. It's sticking out of the seat frame tube, toward the left side of where the rod is shown. only about a millimeter of it shows in the pic but it's probably 3mm long.

What this means is that you aren't going to get full range of motion with your three-way adjuster, if you do this. Due to the piece of metal and the semicircular channel, both sides of the adjuster have to fit on the seat a certain way. You can't just flip them and make it fit perfectly. So what happens is you lose the full range of motion, because there are a total of 3 flat spots the seat back can ride on, and by flipping the adjustment mechanism, one is totally turned around backwards and obscured--you can't turn the knob far enough to reach it. That's OK by me though, since I use the seat in one position and that position was accessible even with the knobs on backward.

Here it is back on the car. An eagle eye might see that the adjustment lever is at a funny angle (duh, it's backwards). I don't care though, as long as it doesn't dig in to the tunnel anymore.

Check! No digging here and the seat is all the way back on the rails. Success.

I also took this opportunity to get down with my toothbrush and Wd40 and really clean the rails on both the seat, and in the car. Then I put fresh lithium grease on everything and damn if it doesn't all slide and adjust perfectly now. No mallet required. I'm SO glad I didn't buy one of the POS driver seats I found at the junkyard recently. This works just great and mine are in way better shape.

So what I have now is a 2 way adjustable driver seat and a 3 way adjustable passenger seat. Cool.

Red River VW Club- http://www.redrivervwclub.com
sportin-wood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great job, lovr! AND you saved some cash that you can use towards something else the car might need!! Dancing
"Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman. He's got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it." --- Jeff Spicoli
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwlovr73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drive Darrel about 150 miles this past weekend, to go on a cruise with our regional VW club. We came across a really cool old bridge and some of us took some pictures. Here are a few of mine.

I have a lead on a 58-63 decklid in my region.. I'm trying to hunt it down. I've obtained from a friend the rear apron I need with the appropriate latch.

I've decided to swallow the expense of a Sewfine interior later this fall (just seats for now, the rest'll come in the future when I get around to stuff like headliner, window seals, etc. Now that I have a "driver's" seat and the proper rear seat bottom (see above posts) I am ready to start stripping off my layers of rotten upholstery.

I have a friend who'll sandblast my frames for me and then going to have them powdercoated locally. That'll probably be the last big thing I do to Darrel this year because winter is coming, I can feel the chill in the morning. A couple more months, Darrel's going to be tucked up in the front of the garage under a sheet with a disconnected battery and a lot of dryer sheets scattered throughout.

JoelH
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vwlovr73 wrote:
A couple more months, Darrel's going to be tucked up in the front of the garage under a sheet with a disconnected battery and a lot of dryer sheets scattered throughout.

that's when you are supposed to work on him to get him ready for the next driving season!

Smile

'60 DD SWR Panel
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=2522353#2522353

'62 Gulf Blue Ragtop Bug
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=420720&highlight=

'60 Black RHD Beetle
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6478591#6478591

1965 Sea Sand L568 Notchback
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8307805#8307805
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwlovr73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JoelH wrote:
vwlovr73 wrote:
A couple more months, Darrel's going to be tucked up in the front of the garage under a sheet with a disconnected battery and a lot of dryer sheets scattered throughout.

that's when you are supposed to work on him to get him ready for the next driving season!

Smile

I wish I could! But without a heated garage.. And our below zero winters...thats just not happening--brrr.

JoelH
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe we can work something out and you can bring him down here and work on him in my, what will be, NEW Garage!

'60 DD SWR Panel
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=2522353#2522353

'62 Gulf Blue Ragtop Bug
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=420720&highlight=

'60 Black RHD Beetle
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6478591#6478591

1965 Sea Sand L568 Notchback
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8307805#8307805
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwlovr73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JoelH wrote:
maybe we can work something out and you can bring him down here and work on him in my, what will be, NEW Garage!

Thats a possibility! Though, after interior work and reshingling my house, we might be done spending money on the car in 2012! Time will tell.

Lee Hedges
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great story and wonderful find! I love to see these well-documented original survivors continue to be preserved and driven. Well-done! I'll be watching your progress. I'm sure I'll learn a lot from your work.
vwlovr73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This weekend brought the big score, an appropriate decklid. I have been pretty thrilled with this find, finally went out and got it on Saturday to the tune of about 60 bucks. Even took the bug to fetch it rather than the SUV-it felt like the right thing to do.

Needs a bit of work but is overall straight, rust-free and decently cheaper than anything I've found online (at least if you factor shipping + the bodywork most of them require). This one needs hinges. I'm thinking Darrel's current lid can donate. Think so?

Also has a nice T-handle, no pitting or anything. The license plate light assembly is really nice too. It's hella, the one on the bug now is Delodur. Anyone know which is correct for 63? Or does it matter?

And we have... a watertight rear window. Just a sprinkle of rain would lead to water dripping inside the back of the car. I'm sick of worrying about that, esp with a potential overnight trip coming up. Not ready to do my seals yet so, black caulking does the trick.

"Mess-free application!"

nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vwlovr73 wrote:
JoelH wrote:
vwlovr73 wrote:

Smile

I wish I could! But without a heated garage.. And our below zero winters...thats just not happening--brrr.

Pull that tranny out, clean it up and reseal it over the winter. Isn't that what basements are for? Laughing Laughing
vwlovr73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nlorntson wrote:
Pull that tranny out, clean it up and reseal it over the winter. Isn't that what basements are for? Laughing Laughing

Haha, in our house, this year, basements are where husbands write dissertations. but don't worry! That will get done. *before* the cold. This weekend was just a bunch of little silly projects because we're roofing our house, so i never know when and how long i have access to the garage without a lot of pounding and guys standing around. Wink (I prefer to work alone, in peace!)

bobnorman
Samba Newfoundlander

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vwlovr73 wrote:
Okay! I have dug around inside my seats and I have pictures to share. Hoping you guys can help me decode what's going on here.

First off, the rear seat bottom. I looked under it and found this:

So, I'm pretty sure this is a later seat bottom. I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) that the earlier seat bottoms had two supports in the middle, not one like this?? Yes/no/maybe so?

This is the original seat from my 63:

vwlovr73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bobnorman wrote:

This is the original seat from my 63:

Thanks! But I did solve this. Ended up getting a new seat from a friend. Here's the post from back in July. What I had before was definitely the wrong seat. Wink

vwlovr73 wrote:
Not as nice as my old one, but this one DOES fit better. The seat back folds better, and the seat is generally not as thick.

vwlovr73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just checking in to say... it's STILL SNOWING in the north and thus, the bug remains stored. (No heated garage here..)

Starting to make a list of the thousand things I want to do to the car, pricing stuff out, and figuring out the order to do it all in. A little overwhelming from the get-go. But hopefully if spring and summer ever come, Darrel will make some progress and some appearances this year. Hard to believe it's been about a year since I bought the car too - what a ride.

Dustin B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I have some questions about your original interior. I sent you a PM when you get a minute. Thanks

Dustin[/code]

62 og paint L469 type 1
61 og paint L31 DD panel type 2
64 heilite viscount tent trailer
71 sears clamshell trailer

I <3 Brazilian busses

Original paint and patina extravaganza http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=187156
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dustin B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I have some questions about your original interior. I sent you a PM when you get a minute. Thanks

Dustin[/code]

62 og paint L469 type 1
61 og paint L31 DD panel type 2
64 heilite viscount tent trailer
71 sears clamshell trailer

I <3 Brazilian busses

Original paint and patina extravaganza http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=187156
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwlovr73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our local club's show was over the weekend and I always come back from those ready to think about the next steps for the bug. Things have been moving slowly (or not at all) since I have a toddler now. But still moving.

I had the seats reupholstered in 2013. Local place did them for me. I'm happy with it. I can't find pics so I'll have to post them later.

I need to get my door panels done to match my seats, does anyone know where i can buy the pre-cut panels upholstered? I don't want to cut them myself. The existing ones have water damage in a major way, I don't think they can be reused.

In 2012/13 with the help of club folks I was able to get a hold of a drivers' seat as well as two correct era decklids. (Got one... then got a better one.) And a rear apron too, since somewhere along the line somebody put a '64 apron on the car to allow the '64 lid to latch. Also snagged a couple of really nice half-moon hubcaps from a friend met through our club. It's the little things that make the world go 'round.

Haven't done anything with the lids or really with anything else. Much to the shock of the patina-lovers, I do intend on having the car painted. Lots to do along with that though and I'm not sure what kind of sticker shock to expect either. Doing the research, want it done right.

This fall I might tackle pulling out the rotten upholstery. Want to install audio next. I don't need it to break the windows or piss off the neighbors, just want something better than what I have now (which is nothing).

Other than those 2 items, I'm staring down the big $$ event which in my mind includes:
-A lot of body work, welding
-Door and window seals
-Sound dampening, carpet/rubber, headliner
-Paint

Most of my trim, chrome, lighting, etc is pitted, corroded, otherwise funky. That'll need to be gone through at some time. As it stands now I can't even get the rear bumper off the car because someone felt it'd be smart to weld it to the rear apron and fender on one side. (See above -- body work needed.)

So that's where I'm at. Plugging alone. Driving him like he is, showing him at shows as he is, instilling VW appreciation and respect into my 2 year old daughter while we go.

BLAU GEIST
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That car is very awesome, you are doing a great job!
schwim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I absolutely love the way you've handled your bug's revival. I should have tried harder to keep mine a driver for a while but instead ended up with a pan in my basement Rolling Eyes
silvertonguedevil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How did that deck lid end up working out?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

Jump to: